Review Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS Tested

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013

On the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark (highest, 1920 x 1080), the Zephyrus ran at 49 fps, tying it with both the Acer Predator Triton 500 (i7-8750H, RTX 2060) and Dell G7 15 (i7-9750H, RTX 2060).

Asus’ laptop ran Hitman (ultra, 1920 x 1080) at 89 fps, two frames ahead of the Predator and one frame ahead of the Dell.

The Zephyrus outperformed on Grand Theft Auto V’s benchmark (very high, 1920 x 1080) at 115 fps, losing by two frames to the Dell but easily beating the Predator with 87 fps.

We also ran our gaming stress test, in which we ran Metro Exodus 15 times on a loop to simulate half an hour of gaming. In this case, we ran the game at the ultra preset at 1080p. The game ran at an average of 40.5 fps, and with RTX on it dropped to 37.8 fps. The average CPU clock speed was 3.1 GHz, and it had an average temperature of 78.4 degrees Celsius (173.1 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU ran at an average of 425.1 MHz and a temperature of 64.8 degrees Celsius (148.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

pnYUIDFMoEKSgBH.png

HOjb3NPAuiLXrkt.png

Oz5wAilKQET6Fxj.png

It’s truly incredible how long the Zephyrus lasted on our battery test. Generally, only the best ultraportables last between eight and 10 hours on our test, which continuously browses the web, streams video and runs OpenGL tests, all while connected to Wi-Fi with the display at 150 nits brightness.

The Zephyrus endured for 11 hours and 32 minutes. That’s incredible for a gaming notebook and even for some ultrabooks. The premium gaming average is just under 4 hours. This means the Zephyrus is suitable to use as your everyday system in addition to being your gaming machine.

For comparison, the Acer Predator Triton 500, with an i7-8750H and RTX 2060, ran for 4:24 and the Dell G7 15, with an i7-9750H and RTX 2060, died after 3:12. The Razer Blade Stealth 13, with a 25W Ice Lake processor ( i7-1065G7) lasted 8:53. The Dell XPS 13, with a 6-core/12-thread i7-10710U Comet Lake CPU ran for 7:56, albeit with a more taxing 4K display.

And while it’s not quite the best comparison, the MSI Alpha 15, a budget all-AMD gaming laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 3750H and a Radeon RX 5500M graphics lasted only 3:53.

oZBe6xafzRNPyku.png

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
der8auer is impressed (timestamped link) :

He said exactly the same thing I thought to myself when I first saw the benchmarks: why would anyone buy intel in a laptop after Ryzen 4000 launch? The only way anyone sane would do that is if there were no Ryzen 4000 laptops available... Which could easily happen due to super high demand for these chips and what they offer - a premium desktop class x86 performance in 35W package. This is easily more impressive than desktop 3000 series which was almost an impossible feat to accomplish.

I was going to link his video just now ... :D

He also shows that replacing thermal compound with liquid metal helped with performance, specifically wPrime test saw a jump of average clock by about 150MHz, from 3750 to 3900 on average.
Bottom line from this is, given better cooling, there is a bit more performance to be had.

I'm really curious what will be possible with 4900H in a bigger chassis designed specifically for gaming, like the Intel version of Alienware 17'' laptop.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
What's the battery life while gaming? Very impressive piece of technology by AMD, nonetheless.
I was going to link his video just now ... :D

He also shows that replacing thermal compound with liquid metal helped with performance, specifically wPrime test saw a jump of average clock by about 150MHz, from 3750 to 3900 on average.
Bottom line from this is, given better cooling, there is a bit more performance to be had.

I'm really curious what will be possible with 4900H in a bigger chassis designed specifically for gaming, like the Intel version of Alienware 17'' laptop.
I want to see that and I want to see what a business laptop designed to maximize battery life will look like.

I'm not much of a gamer so I don't need a dedicated GPU. I care about battery life, portability, and retina resolution.

I basically want a 15" laptop with a 4900HS, no dedicated graphics card, retina display, and as big of a battery as possible in a slim form factor.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Eventually someone should disable the dGPU in the Asus lappie and review it that way. Might be unfair since the cooling solution in a gaming laptop is probably going to be better than what you would get in a "business" laptop with no dGPU, assuming any OEM sells that configuration. Which they may not.

Another sobering thought: 4000-series Renoir is just Zen2. AMD will be back next year with mobile chips based on Zen3. Barring delays, of course.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Eventually someone should disable the dGPU in the Asus lappie and review it that way. Might be unfair since the cooling solution in a gaming laptop is probably going to be better than what you would get in a "business" laptop with no dGPU, assuming any OEM sells that configuration. Which they may not.

Another sobering thought: 4000-series Renoir is just Zen2. AMD will be back next year with mobile chips based on Zen3. Barring delays, of course.
Just throwing some numbers out there...

Zen3 IPC is expected to be 15% higher which when combined with a 10% boost from using next-gen 7nm means we might see 1.265x performance gain at the same power efficiency over Zen2.

26.5% gain is a another monumental leap in performance.

I also expect next-gen APU to skip over Navi and go straight to Navi2 because it seems like AMD has had Navi2 ready for a long time due to consoles. Navi is already more efficient than Vega. Navi2 is 50% more efficient than Navi for dedicated graphics cards.

It's hard to imagine how Intel can compete with Zen3+Navi2 on 7nm+.

Renoir already choke slammed Intel. Next-gen APU might blow Intel out. Luckily, I don't have a need to upgrade yet. Apple needs come out with something as good as Zen3+Navi2 next year or they will need to switch to AMD to keep me as a customer.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Intel must have been selling i7-9750H for peanuts these days and it’s a good thing they did or else most folks would be jumping ship to AMD Renoir-based laptops.

I’ve got 4 laptops for family use and only one will need an upgrade soon (i5-7300HQ, 2x i5-8300H, 1x i7-8750H) but we mainly play Apex Legends and Monster Hunter World.

I’ll wait and see what other laptops there will be because the ASUS G14 is overkill for us and the TUF laptop doesn’t appeal to me.

Why AMD chose ASUS for a period of exclusivity is beyond me.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I still cannot understand why they dont make 35W TDP laptops with out dGPUs.
Why have a 15W TDP + 20W TDP dGPU when you can have the same GPU perf and power/thermals with a 35W TDP APU.
It will also cost less since no BOM from the dGPU.
Does the iGPU takeover for battery reasons when the dGPU isn’t used?

My other guess is that it’s simply not worth spending the engineering resources to completely remove the graphics part from the APU. The market size isn’t big enough to support the added cost in engineering.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I still cannot understand why they dont make 35W TDP laptops with out dGPUs.
Why have a 15W TDP + 20W TDP dGPU when you can have the same GPU perf and power/thermals with a 35W TDP APU.
It will also cost less since no BOM from the dGPU.

1). OEM thinks it's easier to cool 15W from one source and 20W from another, instead of up to 35W from one source.
2). OEM already has a warehouse full of dGPUs and intends to use them whether or not it makes any sense. See also single-SODIMM configurations.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011

Francois watched Linus video?
I can't believe that "he is still in denial".
Seriously, he was not joking that "AMD still didn't beat Skylake".
Francois is either bad redacted crazy or in a very deep denial. Either way it's sad.

We have a zero tolerance policy for profanity in the tech sub-forums.
Don't do it again.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Someone did a teardown yet? i want to see the cooling system, the GPU cooling has to be helping the CPU cooling in order to get to these numbers.

Also i would not trust Cinebench on this, the ST number is way too high compared to a 3700X that has higher turbo and higher TDP.

Reactions: Summerfun

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Someone did a teardown yet? i want to see the cooling system, the GPU cooling has to be helping the CPU cooling in order to get to these numbers.

Also i would not trust Cinebench on this, the ST number is way too high compared to a 3700X that has higher turbo and higher TDP.
Its in one of the linked videos, just watch them, Possibly in another thread, I have watched so many, I just know its here.

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Der8auer, of course. What does he NOT tear down?

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Toms lost all credibility with me after they attacked Hardware Unboxes method of testing cheap B450 motherboards. They used a 3700x instead of a 3950x and of course didn't have the issues HWUB did, geez i wonder why? Yeah NEVER again with Toms not that i have used them in years but even more so now.

I am surprised after that little flop of theirs, anyone is even taking their results seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder 57

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Toms lost all credibility with me after they attacked Hardware Unboxes method of testing cheap B450 motherboards. They used a 3700x instead of a 3950x and of course didn't have the issues HWUB did, geez i wonder why? Yeah NEVER again with Toms not that i have used them in years but even more so now.

I am surprised after that little flop of theirs, anyone is even taking their results seriously.
Don't really want to defend Toms, I'd go by the author's track record.
Anyway feel free to ignore them, in this thread plenty reviews from other sources were already listed.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Don't really want to defend Toms, I'd go by the author's track record.
Anyway feel free to ignore them, in this thread plenty reviews from other sources were already listed.

I don't know if you remember that fiasco but yeah they went out of their ways to call HWUB trolls when the dude over there asked for a meeting, that is beyond disrespectful. He simply wanted to meetup and compare data cause obviously something was way off given Toms was the outlier while the rest of the people found similar issues with cheap motherboards.As someone about to buy a B450 and prob 3900x/4900x before end of year, if i listened to Toms i would be on one heck of a flakey motherboard instead of settling on a B450 Tomahawk Max. That one has been proven at least.

I will buy whatever HWUB sells before Toms, they did out of the case and in the case testing, they went up and above the call of duty with their testing. Heck i will buy TPU before Toms.

Edit: Yeah here is the video where he calls Toms out. Yeah NEVER again. :)

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Der8auer, of course. What does he NOT tear down?

2Tpv5fs.png

Well thats explain a lot, the combined TDP of that cooler should be well in the +60W tdp area, forget about 35W no way in hell that the CPU is running at 35W while the GPU is not in use, thats why it performs so close to a 3700X. And Intel needs around 30-40% more TDP to match it, we know this from desktop chips, this also explain Linux results with the helios.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
2Tpv5fs.png

Well thats explain a lot, the combined TDP of that cooler should be well in the +60W tdp area, forget about 35W no way in hell that the CPU is running at 35W while the GPU is not in use, thats why it performs so close to a 3700X. And Intel needs around 30-40% more TDP to match it, we know this from desktop chips, this also explain Linux results with the helios.
Boosting algo for the G14 is as follows:

65W for 10 seconds.
54W for 150 seconds.
35W indefinitely.

Check Hardware's Unboxed's review for this:
c12211fb39340787cef1c30894b6c7ff.jpg

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
That 4900HS is amazing, that is based on Zen 2 and not the upcoming Zen 3 right? I really hate how they named it. Even shared it on my wall on facebook, cause i know some in the market for a lappy this year for school . :)