Review Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS Tested

csbin

Feb 4, 2013

On the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark (highest, 1920 x 1080), the Zephyrus ran at 49 fps, tying it with both the Acer Predator Triton 500 (i7-8750H, RTX 2060) and Dell G7 15 (i7-9750H, RTX 2060).

Asus’ laptop ran Hitman (ultra, 1920 x 1080) at 89 fps, two frames ahead of the Predator and one frame ahead of the Dell.

The Zephyrus outperformed on Grand Theft Auto V’s benchmark (very high, 1920 x 1080) at 115 fps, losing by two frames to the Dell but easily beating the Predator with 87 fps.

We also ran our gaming stress test, in which we ran Metro Exodus 15 times on a loop to simulate half an hour of gaming. In this case, we ran the game at the ultra preset at 1080p. The game ran at an average of 40.5 fps, and with RTX on it dropped to 37.8 fps. The average CPU clock speed was 3.1 GHz, and it had an average temperature of 78.4 degrees Celsius (173.1 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU ran at an average of 425.1 MHz and a temperature of 64.8 degrees Celsius (148.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

pnYUIDFMoEKSgBH.png

HOjb3NPAuiLXrkt.png

Oz5wAilKQET6Fxj.png

It’s truly incredible how long the Zephyrus lasted on our battery test. Generally, only the best ultraportables last between eight and 10 hours on our test, which continuously browses the web, streams video and runs OpenGL tests, all while connected to Wi-Fi with the display at 150 nits brightness.

The Zephyrus endured for 11 hours and 32 minutes. That’s incredible for a gaming notebook and even for some ultrabooks. The premium gaming average is just under 4 hours. This means the Zephyrus is suitable to use as your everyday system in addition to being your gaming machine.

For comparison, the Acer Predator Triton 500, with an i7-8750H and RTX 2060, ran for 4:24 and the Dell G7 15, with an i7-9750H and RTX 2060, died after 3:12. The Razer Blade Stealth 13, with a 25W Ice Lake processor ( i7-1065G7) lasted 8:53. The Dell XPS 13, with a 6-core/12-thread i7-10710U Comet Lake CPU ran for 7:56, albeit with a more taxing 4K display.

And while it’s not quite the best comparison, the MSI Alpha 15, a budget all-AMD gaming laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 3750H and a Radeon RX 5500M graphics lasted only 3:53.

oZBe6xafzRNPyku.png

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
There's something off regarding the battery life results. It doesn't tally with some other reviews.
Can you link to those reviews ? Not that I don't believe you, but I want to see the others testing methodology. Reading Toms, it looked sound.

From the article:"It’s truly incredible how long the Zephyrus lasted on our battery test. Generally, only the best ultraportables last between eight and 10 hours on our test, which continuously browses the web, streams video and runs OpenGL tests, all while connected to Wi-Fi with the display at 150 nits brightness."

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
What a generational leap. Significantly faster and more efficient than last-gen and Intel's current best.

The same story is being played out on mobile as it did on desktop. AMD just destroyed Intel on mobile in everything that matters: price, performance, efficiency.

As an OSX user, sadly Apple will move to ARM before migrating from Intel to AMD which means I won't ever use an AMD APU. But it's nice to see that the competition on mobile is back.

The next APU should combine Zen3 + Navi2. That's going to blow the doors off of Intel if Intel isn't able to release an 8-core 10nm mobile part by then.

Last edited:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
There's something off regarding the battery life results. It doesn't tally with some other reviews.

A significant number of reviews have gotten between 9-11 hours of battery life with the exception of NotebookCheck. They're all running slightly different tests, so differences are to be expected.

NBC's might have had the dGPU running the display or something? I don't know, but their numbers are definitely wrong on battery life.

Also, am I allowed to gush about Renoir now?

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I think we can use this thread as review thread?

Some German reviews:
These three don't mention battery.

"Im Akku-Benchmark "Modernes Office" von PCMark 10 wird Videokonferenzen und Office-Anwendungen seichte Arbeitslast simuliert. Wir messen stets auf halber Bildschirmhelligkeit, hier circa 170 cd/m², und aktivem WLAN, um eine praxisrelevante Laufzeit zu ermitteln. 9 Std. und 28 Min. sind ein Top-Wert und besser, was so manche leichte Notebooks mit Stromspar-Prozessor leisten."
PCMark 10's "modern office" benchmark with screen brightness at around 170 cd/m² runs for 9h 28min.

Edit: Some English reviews:
battery-life-asus-rog-zephyrus-g14.png

asus_rog_zephyrus_g14_video_run_down-100836710-large.jpg

No battery life test done.

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Well, given the results from other reviews I'm going to conclude that Notebookcheck's battery life test is an outlier. With that out of the way, the power efficiency of Renoir is indeed very impressive. The only thing that's left to be seen is how it performs in the thin and light category.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Now that AMD is finally competitive in the mobile space, I wonder if OEMs will provide AMD offerings with a higher class of GPUs than an RTX 2060 Max-Q or 1660 Ti, especially when NVIDIA is launching the Super mobile GPUs pretty soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
The battery life tests do not show all the data. I would suggest reading the entire article linked in TH.
Not sure where the OP got that battery life chart, unless he edited it himself. The TH article shows battery life for six models, not 4. (2 of which are closer to the Zephyrus, although still significantly behind.)

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The battery life tests do not show all the data. I would suggest reading the entire article linked in TH.
Not sure where the OP got that battery life chart, unless he edited it himself. The TH article shows battery life for six models, not 4. (2 of which are closer to the Zephyrus, although still significantly behind.)
The chart has been updated. The earlier one showed only 4 models.

Kuiva maa

May 1, 2014
Not in the market for a laptop but this one seems impressive. I wouldn't mind seeing a more thorough gaming test (how the thermals look, how hot it gets to touch, what it takes for it to throttle etc).

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
This thing is BRUTAL :D. Well done AMD, again... Anyone willing to guess how much market share will they steal with these little beasts? There is absolutely no reason to buy intel in a laptop any more, basically they now lost in the only segment they were ahead. More hurting is coming though, Zen3 is just around a corner and it will be a bigger beast than Zen2.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
der8auer is impressed (timestamped link) :

He said exactly the same thing I thought to myself when I first saw the benchmarks: why would anyone buy intel in a laptop after Ryzen 4000 launch? The only way anyone sane would do that is if there were no Ryzen 4000 laptops available... Which could easily happen due to super high demand for these chips and what they offer - a premium desktop class x86 performance in 35W package. This is easily more impressive than desktop 3000 series which was almost an impossible feat to accomplish.

Last edited: