Question Asus Rog Strix B460-I Gaming DOA, or something else?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Originally I thought the PSU was bad, do got another one and still nothing except the blue light one the case will light up and if I plug a usb stick in it will light up for a moment but that's all; no cpu fan, PSU fan, mobo lights, hdd activity. Does this seem typical of a doa board, or possibly something else? It's a simple build: Asus Rog Strix-I Gaming itx, i3-10100, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2666, Barracuda 2tb hdd in a Thermaltake Suppressor F1.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally I thought the PSU was bad, do got another one and still nothing except the blue light one the case will light up and if I plug a usb stick in it will light up for a moment but that's all; no cpu fan, PSU fan, mobo lights, hdd activity. Does this seem typical of a doa board, or possibly something else? It's a simple build: Asus Rog Strix-I Gaming itx, i3-10100, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2666, Barracuda 2tb hdd in a Thermaltake Suppressor F1.
This may seem like a dumb question but did you plug everything in and make sure it is in tight? Bench test the board first to see if you get into BIOS.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When in doubt, unplug, CLEAR_CMOS, and then plug back in and test. "Breadboard" too. Don't forget the PSU "green to black" wire test, to check the PSU. (but be aware that newer high-end PSUs only spin their fans, when they reach a certain temp, so plug in a molex fan, preferably an LED one, to test).

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Yes, did most of those things, except the clear cmos, and while I took both sticks of ram out, didn't try with only one, but no beep etc. Returned it and am waiting on replacement. Also, I put cpu/cooler & ram in outside the case, I did put it in the case before starting; do you suggest starting it first outside the case, as I saw in a video putting it on the cardboard box (would putting the anti-static bag it came in underneath it be good, or just on the box?) one stick of ram, cpu and cooler, connected hdmi to monitor to test. Is there any benefit to testing it before putting in case? How would you suggest going about initial testing of the new one? Thanks.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, did most of those things, except the clear cmos, and while I took both sticks of ram out, didn't try with only one, but no beep etc. Returned it and am waiting on replacement. Also, I put cpu/cooler & ram in outside the case, I did put it in the case before starting; do you suggest starting it first outside the case, as I saw in a video putting it on the cardboard box (would putting the anti-static bag it came in underneath it be good, or just on the box?) one stick of ram, cpu and cooler, connected hdmi to monitor to test. Is there any benefit to testing it before putting in case? How would you suggest going about initial testing of the new one? Thanks.
Testing outside the case eliminates a case issue. It is easier to change out components, too. Always test with 1 ram stick at a time to eliminate variables.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Maybe the case wanted AMD inside?

I saw in a video putting it on the cardboard box (would putting the anti-static bag it came in underneath it be good, or just on the box?) one stick of ram, cpu and cooler, connected hdmi to monitor to test.

Just use the box. Yep the basic cpu, cooler, ram hooked to the hdmi port should work.

I do the build on the box to test the components and get some instant gratification. I'd rather make sure everything is working properly before I spend the time building the rig. It would really suck spending the time doing a nice and tidy build just to find out it won't boot up.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Again, nothing! Got replacement--same mobo, different vendor--took extra precautions. Same as before; and there are qleds on the mobo they should light up; nothing happens; the only way I know power is getting to the mobo is when I plug my usb stick in it lights up for a moment; tried both psu's; jumpstarted the super flower as well, fans spin on both. Different configurations. Even if it was my cpu or ram, shouldn't the qleds light up. I checked Asus' qualified ram list, the exact 2666 I'm using is on it; what could possibly be going on? Did the clear cmos as well. The only thing I can think is the cpu; if it was at fault could it prevent everything else from working, like the cooler fan etc? I hooked up some argb lights, nothing from them either.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
DON'T BUILD IT ON THE ANTI_STATIC BAG.... they are conductive. you would be shorting everything hitting the bag together.

try one stick of ram first. if you can, try changing the ram. i had a stick of ram go bad on me recently... ddr4. spent days troubleshooting. Then i realized this one stick of ram was getting really hot... swapped it out. problem fixed. i was getting the same symptoms you were. i had a few systems, so i had the available ram to test with.

Ozan

Feb 14, 2021
Hello, I guess I have same exact problem. Mobo lights only blinks when i start my power supply for 3-5 seconds then stop. After that I cannot start with power button. All parts are new, I coundt decide its mobo, psu or cpu.I dont know, cpu fan, mobo light should start like that when I swith on psu or not. How did you solve your problem?