Question Asus repair facilities suck

Tomztori

Jul 6, 2021
I have sent in an Asus rampage vi extreme encore for repair twice. The last time I received my motherboard the PCIE lanes were missing pins. Even though when I sent it in they were there. They would not believe me until I sent in photos Now they want me to send it back for repair They must think I am crazy! I am demanding a new motherboard or a refund!

Attachments

• A32C8AAA-9F8C-4D93-BA96-24C5EEE31CD2.jpeg
    A32C8AAA-9F8C-4D93-BA96-24C5EEE31CD2.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 63

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
That seems to be totally intended. The last slot is sized 16x but wired as 8x, so it makes sense that the second half ot lanes are not wired.
Yeah, I mean I have been doing ITX and laptop for the last few years so I don't have quick access to a m-ATX or ATX board to look. But seems to make sense for a board that is wired for 4x or 8x.

Edit. Just looked at a Prime Z390-A on B&H. Not the same board but if you zoom in on the the bottom slot on the slightly angled picture, you can see it doesn't have any contacts after about the 2/3rds of the way through. @Tomztori pretty sure that never had the contacts, you just didn't realize it before.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have sent in an Asus rampage vi extreme encore for repair twice. The last time I received my motherboard the PCIE lanes were missing pins. Even though when I sent it in they were there. They would not believe me until I sent in photos Now they want me to send it back for repair They must think I am crazy! I am demanding a new motherboard or a refund!
That seems to be totally intended. The last slot is sized 16x but wired as 8x, so it makes sense that the second half ot lanes are not wired.
Ouch.

The OP reminds me of some of the really bad 1-star reviews left on Newegg and Amazon by users where it's obvious they are........a little confused (such as leaving a negative review when their new 2.5" SSD doesn't come with a SATA cable).

Reactions: solidsnake1298

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Last time I dealt with their support is was an awful experience. I don't buy Asus products now and unless I start hearing that they have improved I will continue to do that. Sucks because they do have some nice stuff.

Edit: Asus repair center should have told OP what everyone in this thread has already.

Ninjak

Oct 6, 2006
My one experience with Asus RMA was fine. I ordered a new 1440p monitor with a line of dead pixels and Asus sent me a box with prepaid envelope. I got back a working monitor a few weeks later, which I am still using now, years later.

But in general, RMA is terrible across the business. The people troubleshooting / repairing stuff that comes in are mostly just following internal tools / scripts to "repair". When I worked in the industry, we used to joke that RMA would wait for two customer shipments to come in, switch the boxes, and send them back to the customers untouched. It's not so far from the truth.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
My experience with Asus was not a pleasant one.
I RMA'd a Asus WS C621E SAGE, photo'd the sockets (pristine), and made sure the OEM covers were on them.
I even sent it back in the original box and packaging , even though they tell you it will not be returned that way.
I wanted to be sure it arrived in excellent condition.
Imagine my surprise when they said it would not be covered under warranty due to socket damage.
The photos they sent showed some pins misaligned (about 5 in the corners on 1 socket, odd).
When I complained that I had photos and that it was shipped with the OEM socket covers, they said it didn't matter, that was the way they received it and the warranty was void.
BUT, they did offer to repair it at a cost of $200 more than I could buy a brand new one from Amazon.
I told them to just send it back, which they did, in a plain white box with no covers on the sockets.
Although I replaced it with a new board from Amazon, it is the last Asus workstation or server board I will ever buy.
All my others have been Gigabyte (commercial, yes, separate from consumer) and NEVER had a single issue with RMAs or even reasonably priced out of warranty repairs.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
My experience with Asus was not a pleasant one.
I RMA'd a Asus WS C621E SAGE, photo'd the sockets (pristine), and made sure the OEM covers were on them.
I even sent it back in the original box and packaging , even though they tell you it will not be returned that way.
I wanted to be sure it arrived in excellent condition.
Imagine my surprise when they said it would not be covered under warranty due to socket damage.
The photos they sent showed some pins misaligned (about 5 in the corners on 1 socket, odd).
When I complained that I had photos and that it was shipped with the OEM socket covers, they said it didn't matter, that was the way they received it and the warranty was void.
BUT, they did offer to repair it at a cost of $200 more than I could buy a brand new one from Amazon.
I told them to just send it back, which they did, in a plain white box with no covers on the sockets.
Although I replaced it with a new board from Amazon, it is the last Asus workstation or server board I will ever buy.
All my others have been Gigabyte (commercial, yes, separate from consumer) and NEVER had a single issue with RMAs or even reasonably priced out of warranty repairs.
Yeah I want to make sure its clear I don't think anyone here is trying to defend Asus's support.
For your story, NewEgg, Amazon, and all of the board makers have had horror stories like this. They at every stage tried to avoid random replacements for clumsy owners. I think the trick that people found that stopped them from auto sending back any LGA board was including pictures (with at least one with the Mobo packed in the package you sent them) in the box to send to RMA it. I know that worked well with Newegg.
But I get not swapping out $200-$300 boards for people being pretty haphazard with how they handled the motherboard. But I think going hardnose on Workstation boards is a step too far. They are quite rare, its where a lot of margin can be found and even just 1 sour experience can cost you customers for life. Not a smart decision. And that is if you sent it in with bent pins. It's really stupid to continue to put up a fight with evidence that you didn't in fact ship it with bent pins.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
.... i have to give this one to ASUS.

The OP somehow got wrong info to think that last slot is a phsyical 16x.

48- Lane CPU
- 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 Safeslots (x16/x16/x4, x16/x16/x8
or x16/x8/x8)
44- Lane CPU
- 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 Safeslots (x16/x16/x4 or x16/x8/x4)
28- Lane CPU
- 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 Safeslots (x16/x8/x4)
Intel® X299 Chipset
- 1 x PCIe 3.0 x4 slot

You see how that last value i bolded is either 4 or 8.... it means its physical 8x at max.
Unless your running the latest cascade lake processor you can't even get 8x on that last slot even if its physical.
There is no intel processor which can handle (16x pci-e) x 3 as it would require 48 pci-e lanes which leaves none of for the board.
You need to goto EYPC/Xeons and dual cpu's for that, or say hello to Threadripper and its 64 Pci-e lanes.

So yeah as much as i hate ASUS RMA, they won this time, because the OP lacked knowledge about his board.

But i have seen first hand a lot of nasty stuff ASUS did.
They are known to throw cards across the room, and sometimes even bend cpu pins if you do not shield them in transport to deny your RMA.
Its more like so the tech can just TOSS it across the room and say DENIED.

Last edited:
Reactions: dlerious

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OH to add on.. ASUS is not the only Evil..

Gigabyte i have a bone to pick with them now...
MSI they were ONLY good when they decided to change there image back during X58 days.
Then they went to hell all again. By the time Z97 came, they went back to there old poor habits which made me avoid them from the beginning.

Sad to say, unless your stateside, the only vendor which has even a remote sense of responsibility and conscience is EVGA.
Hence why i push EVGA products heavily if your stateside.
If you ever need to talk to someone who doesn't use google translate, or need a RMA where it broke and you didn't break it... eVGA has always been good to everyone i know and myself.

I just hope they come out with a TRX40 board for threadripper by the time Chagall comes out.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
OH to add on.. ASUS is not the only Evil..

Gigabyte i have a bone to pick with them now...
MSI they were ONLY good when they decided to change there image back during X58 days.
Then they went to hell all again. By the time Z97 came, they went back to there old poor habits which made me avoid them from the beginning.

Sad to say, unless your stateside, the only vendor which has even a remote sense of responsibility and conscience is EVGA.
Hence why i push EVGA products heavily if your stateside.
If you ever need to talk to someone who doesn't use google translate, or need a RMA where it broke and you didn't break it... eVGA has always been good to everyone i know and myself.

I just hope they come out with a TRX40 board for threadripper by the time Chagall comes out.

I agree EVGA is the best for the US, but I've also read others who have had poor experiences with them. I've done RMAs with almost all manufacturers and most are decent/average.