Asus Prime X370 Pro bad BIOS update - troubleshooting

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Hey guys,

So, I upgraded the bios on my motherboard (Asus Pro X370 Prime) last year December. Can't remember what version - whatever was latest at the time. But that BIOS didn't seem that stable for me, and seemed to crash a lot, so recently (last night) I decided to upgrade to the latest BIOS (4602).

I unzipped the BIOS file, put it onto a USB drive, and plugged that USB drive in. Rebooted into the BIOS, went to the flash utility, and flashed the BIOS. Went away to do something else, and came back to see nothing on screen.

I can't get anything to display on screen anymore. When I push the power button, the fans spin up and the lights come on, but not much else happens. I'm used to pushing the reset button making it do something, but now nothing seems to happen. It definitely doesn't restart anymore.

I tried ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3. I got that same USB drive from earlier, wiped it clean, and then put an older BIOS file from last year (and just the BIOS file itself, the .CAP file). I plugged that in, turned the PC, and waited, but that doesn't fix it either.

I did try shorting the CRTLC pins, but I realized this won't help since the BIOS itself (or maybe something else on the motherboard) is faulty.

Oh and I also unplugged the power cable from my graphics card, because I am pretty sure I remember it making a high pitched whine when not plugged in. Nothing happens.

I have ordered a little PC speaker to help me diagnose what is going on, to see if I can hear any revealing beeps.

So, I wanted to ask if you guys can think of anything else for me to test? At this point, I am pretty sure that the board is dead and will need to be replaced.

I don't think I can RMA it though. Since I bought the board, I have emigrated to a new country. So, even though Asus has a support presence here, I am not sure whether they would help. There is also physical damage to the board - when I built this PC nearly two years ago, I bent one of the front USB 3 header pins. So, the front USB 3 slots don't work. They might use that as an excuse to deny me an RMA. I can provide proof of purchase, but for the wrong country, and I definitely cannot send the board back to my old country - would be cheaper to replace it I would think.

I am probably going to then bite the bullet and buy an X570 board. On the one hand, I don't want to buy an X470 board when X570 is one month away. On the other hand, if I buy an X570 board, I need a new CPU too, because X570 does not support first generation Ryzen (I have a 1600X). Which is kinda irritating - honestly, I wasn't planning on upgrading to this generation.

Specs:
Ryzen 1600X
Asus Prime X370 Pro
2 x 8GB DDR4 3200 - G Skill Flare X I think
MSI 1070 8GB
Superflower 550W modular PSU
Connecting to display device (4k TV) via HDMI. I don't have a DVI enabled display.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Turned out that my memory wasn't seated correctly. Don't know how that changed from one boot to the next after doing a BIOS update. Anyway, the PC speaker told me that there were memory issues, so I removed and reseated the memory and it worked fine. I can see that the BIOS update that I did to the latest BIOS worked fine.

I also think I found the cause of instability - one of my hard drives was dying. I disconnected it and suddenly everything starts near instantly, like it should when most of your programs live on SSDs.