ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
Gamers don't think! Read all the reviews and then come back with the specific questions you have?

Big Roger

Jun 16, 2008
I have it, solid, well performing and for audio it has a good low DPC latency that helps somewhat. Overclocks well so I've heard but I haven't tried...

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I own one. Very happy with mine. Don't upgrade BIOS past 1015 yet. There are issues with 1406 & 1504 that make an optical drive 'not a choice' in the BIOS as a boot device. Will be fixed in next BIOS release.

Razorbak86

Jan 18, 2012
The "Dash V" (i.e., Video) Pro is a very nice board with a decent feature set, positioned in the upper middle tier of Asus' mainstream motherboards. I have looked at this board a lot, so I can give you a pretty thorough run-down of what aspects I like about it.

First, Asus has a very good reputation and is generally considered to be one of the top 3 mobo manufacturers in the industry. All of the Dash V mobos offer excellent controls. The UEFI and software package (AIsuite) are both top notch. The Fan Xpert 2 software is phenomenal. There are plenty of videos available on both Newegg and YouTube to help educate you on the specifics, so I won't go into those in any further detail.

Other features which I like are the full ATX form factor, which provides room for running parallel video cards (either SLI or CrossfireX), either straight out of the box or sometime in the future. That is a nice feature for gaming, since it will generally yield higher average frame rates for smoother gameplay by minimizing input lag and choppiness of the video output to your monitor.

The Z77 chipset works with both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs, so you can start off with a cheaper Sandy Bridge (Gen 2) processor and still be able to upgrade to more expensive Ivy Bridge (Gen 3) processors down the road.

Other nice touches are the Intel NIC (higher quality than other NICs) + on-board WiFi (doesn't require a separate card to be added later), PS/2 keyboard/mouse port (useful for full N-key rollover with mechanical keyboards), 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports and 4 x USB 3.0 (lots of connectivity for hard drives and other peripherals).

Overall, I think you would be very happy with this board. The Dash V Pro is a reasonably priced board with a fairly extensive feature set and good overclocking potential.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
I have been running one for the past 2 months or so loaded with 16GB of RAM, OC'd 3770k, SLI 670's and a soundcard and it has been rock solid. Uisng 1504 BIOS and it's fine but I'll admit I haven't tried booting from a disc with it.
Very solid board, good quality and OC features. Can't comment on onboard sound since I never used it. SATA controllers work well as does USB and I hear its one of the lower DPC latency boards.

All around great choice if you ask me, but I will say that if you won't be running multiple GPU's you could get away with a lesser ASUS SKU than the Pro.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
I have a P8Z77-V Pro and love it--OCs my 2500k well and no problems whatsoever. Tried an ASRock Extreme4 first and was not impressed.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have a P8Z77-V Pro and love it--OCs my 2500k well and no problems whatsoever. Tried an ASRock Extreme4 first and was not impressed.

I would look at it seriously if I were building either an SB or IB right now, and I have my eye on it.

I've got the Z68 predecessor to the P8Z77-V Pro. There wasn't much left to fix in the BIOS after its release. So I would be puzzled about other posters who are saying that newer BIOS revisions should be avoided for now, but I would pay attention to what they say.

What reviews I've seen for the Z77-V Pro look good, and what I've seen here at the forums . . . looks good. It's priced like the Z68 board of more than a year ago.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
It's a GREAT board BUT unless you're going to take advantage of all the bells and whistles, you can spend significantly less and still retain the same performance and overclockability.

Case in point, I have the z77 V-Pro and a Gigabyte D3H (also z77 and half the cost) and I can't tell the difference. I actually have a higher OC on the D3H due to a cooler running 2500k paired to it.

The V-Pro is certainly a better board with 2 PCIe 3 slots vs 1 3.0 and 1 2.0 and it has tons more tweaking options for advanced memory timing control, but that's not something most people get into or even have a clue what it does.

Last edited:

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
What didn't you like about it. I own one and it works great.

Coil whine. I ordered one and it made a high pitch electrical noise with my 2500K. I RMAd it and the replacement did the exact same thing.

Also, the Extreme4 was unstable using offset overclocking. And it just felt cheap--light and flimsy.

The P8Z77-Pro exceeds the ASRock in all of these respects.

Puckman1

Oct 12, 2012
I recently built myself a system with this board, but have noticed it refuses to wake up from sleep.
I have to turn the power off completely and reboot the system for it to wake up after entering Sleep.
Has anyone else noticed such issues with theirs?
A google search yielded some other people complaining about various similar issues, but I was never able to clearly establish the cause (a lot of what's on line and in other forums appears to vary widely in description and resolution method).

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
what do people think of this motherboard for gaming ?

Don't have one but if its by ASUS , its quality, stability, and overclockability. Enjoy diving into the BIOS and OC your CPU.

Any motherboard can game,, whats important is CPU and video card.

what CPU you want with that board ? What RAM ? What video card ?

fill sig.. gl

fng01

Nov 18, 2011
I am returning mine becasue of two failures. First the onboard network port failed to upload, downloading was fine, but web pages wouldn't fully load up. Did the speed test and found download speeds to be normal, but upload speeds were not working. Then within an hour of installing a NIC card and getting the internet speed back to normal my sound dissapeared. Called Asus and worked with a tech. determined the board was faulty. Amazon issued me a refund with a free return shipping label. I am going to try this board again. I like the board and understand these things can happen. I will give this board another chance becasue while it was working, it worked great and had all the connectivity i wanted.

Razorbak86

Jan 18, 2012
I am returning mine becasue of two failures... I like the board and understand these things can happen. I will give this board another chance becasue while it was working, it worked great and had all the connectivity i wanted.

Wow! Two RMAs, and you're gonna give it another try? That shows real dedication on your part and is a strong testament to the attractive feature set on this board.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Wow! Two RMAs, and you're gonna give it another try? That shows real dedication on your part and is a strong testament to the attractive feature set on this board.

I think it was two failures on one board and a single RMA. That's how I understood it anyway.

fng01

Nov 18, 2011
The board is only 5 days old. So I didn't have to rma back to Asus. Amazon is great no questions ask. Just told them that I had talked with tech support and determined faulty board. They issued refund onthe spot. I could have purchased anything else but will give this board one more try Yes first board 2 failures

Razorbak86

Jan 18, 2012
The board is only 5 days old. So I didn't have to rma back to Asus. Amazon is great no questions ask. Just told them that I had talked with tech support and determined faulty board. They issued refund onthe spot. I could have purchased anything else but will give this board one more try Yes first board 2 failures

That's great. I prefer purchasing mobos from Amazon for that very reason. They have impeccable customer service when it comes to product returns. Newegg? Not so much.

Last edited:

fng01

Nov 18, 2011
Yup and placed my order yesterday. Sunday. And tracking show delivery for tomorrow. Tuesday. I have prime so 2 day shipping is free

nerdyone

Oct 15, 2012
What are peoples thoughts on the LX model of this board? I am also considering this board but the Pro is more than I want to spend. I don't plan on really OCing much and will only game on it. Sorry to hijack, but I thought it would be better to add than to start a new thread.

Razorbak86

Jan 18, 2012
What are peoples thoughts on the LX model of this board? I am also considering this board but the Pro is more than I want to spend. I don't plan on really OCing much and will only game on it. Sorry to hijack, but I thought it would be better to add than to start a new thread.

Personally, I would spend $10 more for the LK model to get another PCIe 3.0 lane for SLI capability, better on-board audio (chipset & ports), two additional USB 3.0 ports, an EPU switch for reduced power consumption, and a DisplayPort for the iGPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...^13-131-824-TS

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Personally, I would spend $10 more for the LK model to get another PCIe 3.0 lane for SLI capability, better on-board audio (chipset & ports), two additional USB 3.0 ports, an EPU switch for reduced power consumption, and a DisplayPort for the iGPU.

Throw in any difference in phase-power design. I'll bet that these choices may affect any over-clock potential. If there are differences between two models in the model-line, make your choices based on what you are absolutely certain to do or not to do in the future.

I thought I saw a difference in the phase-power between the less expensive units and the V-Pro or higher models for P8Z68 boards.

nerdyone

Oct 15, 2012

Thanks! Of course, now I'm looking as AS Rock and Gigabyte as every Mobo seems to have a horror story around it.