Asus P8Z77-V Dram LED problem- No POST

Lamaj

May 27, 2012
Hello everyone, I recently started building a new system and I have been having terrible problems with the Dram Led light. Originally when I purchased all the parts I accidentally bought Corsair Dominater GT 8gb(2x4 sticks) which was apparently incompatible with my motherboard, the P8Z77-V and I kept getting the Dram LED light on start-up. After RMAing the ram for different ram that's compatible, more specifically Corsair Vengeance 8gb(2x4 sticks) the problem unfortunately remains.

Basically upon start-up I receive no POST nor video so I can't get into the bios. As soon as I turn it on the Dram LED light shines red, also about after a minute that computer randomly just shuts off. This lead me to believe the power supply might be at fault so I tried hooking up my other power supply from my old computer and same symptoms.

I've been reading up on the issue and have found several people with similar ram problems but nothing about the shut-down issue.

So far i've tried resetting the cmos through moving the jumper cap to position 2-3, then back to 1-2. I've tried every possible combination of reseating the ram, along with doing the on-board memtest feature that comes with my board. I also tried taking out the battery for 30mins and I've even tried reseating the cpu and cooling system. With no luck so far this all leads me to believe that I have either a bad board or a corrupted bios. I was going to try downloading a bios to a flash drive and trying to load it onto the board through that but is there any other ideas you guys might have as to what I could do?

Thank you in advance, i'll leave my system specs down below;

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4) Ram CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
I plan on putting in a GeForce 670 GTX SC 4gb once I get my hands on one but for now I just have my old 9800GT in for the meantime.

ZeroRift

Apr 13, 2005
My wife recently built a system on a similar board and also ran into issues with the RAM causing boot failure. In our case, it came down to not seating the ram properly. Basically, since Asus has one stationary arm to secure the ram and one latching arm, you have to push the ram against the stationary arm, then hinge it into place to get it seated right before you latch the other side. I don't like how Asus does that. We had to reseat the RAM twice to get it to boot. Afterwards, she didn't have any problems.

I haven't heard of the shutdown issue you're describing, though it is possible that it's a feature designed to protect the board from issues with hardware installation. It also could be temperature related (unlikely if your CPU fan is running), or something else entirely. Without more information, I really can't say....

scope4live

Jul 24, 2006
Brotha Man you are lucky. A wife that builds, damn, thats, like having a Modular synth and meeting a chick who can discuss the patching between modules on a cocktail napkin for a Ring Modulated 3 Oscillators synth from Hell....... Hats Off.
I got a wife who looks great, but her Retail Therapy consists of rather expsenve treatments at the Forums Shops at Ceasers Palace.

Any ways I have 2 boards in mind, this was one, the Z77 Sabertooth was the other. Please make sure you post back when you get a working board like Anand always gets.
They seem to open the flood gates after a great review and QC guy is there 4 days a week to avoid being insured, but manfucaturing is 5 day cycles. Purely speculation.
But I prefer waiting for numerous success stories with Screenshots.

I figure one more BIOS oughtta do it.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
Hello, I am having the exact same problem. Just built my PC last night and to my horror all i got was a bright red solid DRAM LED glaring at me. Tried Asus' MemOK test to reconfigure the RAM to no avail, tried each stick individually in every slot to no avail, and finally tried both sticks in every slot configuration i could imagine with no results. Finally this morning i switched my suspicious RAM over to my parents computer and it booted up just fine, while their RAM (which i know is good) yielded the same results as before, so this is definitely not an issue with the memory. At this point it could be either the MOBO or the CPU, and considering the shocking similarity of our situations i am really leaning towards a faulty MOBO. However, for the sake of thoroughness, i will be removing the CPU from the socket tonight to inspect for pin damage. I'll be sure to post back with what i found, hopefully by then some one will have offered up a solution.

-Danny

cosmonaut

Jun 30, 2008
I had the exact same problem on a P8Z68 pro-v gen3. I had to RMA it. Try what danny said above with a single stick and with a known working stick. I don't think it's the CPU because I think that gets checked first before you'd get the DRAM LED. If you forget to plug in the supplemental CPU power, the CPU LED would light up before it even checks the RAM. That is if its the same as the P8Z68.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
Thanks for your input Cosmonaut. I'm sure that i'm going to have to RMA something, at this point i'm just praying that it's not my CPU. I'm going to try unplugging the supplemental power to see what happens before i remove my CPU to check the pins.

Also, just so i know what to expect, how did the RMA process treat you Cosmo? How long did it take, any hang ups or issues? Did you RMA through Asus or who you bought the mobo from?

Last edited:

cosmonaut

Jun 30, 2008
I bought the board back in February but I didn't get around to building until Ivybridge came out so I couldn't send it back to the retailer. The process actually wasn't that bad but I'm still not happy with having to go through it in the first place, especially since I was really eager to build once I got the cpu. The board qualified for their Asus's advance replacement service. http://service.asus.com/InfoPage.aspx?rid=12 So they sent out a replacement (not new) board at free ground shipping, or you can pay to have faster shipping. Once you get the new board you have to ship the broken one within 14 days or your credit card gets charged. You have to pay to ship it back too.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
Sorry to necropost, but i thought i would give you guys an update on my situation.

About two weeks ago i caved and RMA'd my mobo to Newegg. They sent me a brand new one which i just received today. Same problem. Solid DRAM LED, no POST, no video, no nothing... Very disappointing. I talked with an Asus support employee on their live chat and he informed me that he had heard of the memory i am using (Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM) not working with this mobo. Unfortunately we were disconnected right as we were starting to get some where, so i will be trying again via phone tomorrow morning. Tonight however i will be attempting to update the bios via USB under the assumption that the memory is simply not supported with the stock bios version. Lastly i will remove my CPU cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo) and replace it with the stock Intel cooler just to be sure that one of the stand offs is not causing some sort of short. I will post back with results.

Needless to say, any advise, help or similar testimonies would be much appreciated.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
So, after attempting to flash the bios via BIOS Flashback feature on the Asus mobo, AND swapping out the aftermarket cooler with the stock Intel cooler, i am still experiencing the same problem. Still planning on getting in touch with Asus tomorrow via phone and seeing if we can not hash out a solution. I will post back with any information i have for others caught in a similar predicament. However at this point i can say that it is either the CPU (unlikely), or RAM incompatibility. If the latter is indeed the case, then i am very disappointed in Asus for listing an incompatible product in their memory compatibility list. And if this is indeed the case, i will not be buying from them again and urge others to do the same. I will reserve my dissatisfaction with Asus until I speak with them tomorrow, however.

Raja@ASUS

Apr 28, 2011
www.asusrog.com
So, after attempting to flash the bios via BIOS Flashback feature on the Asus mobo, AND swapping out the aftermarket cooler with the stock Intel cooler, i am still experiencing the same problem. Still planning on getting in touch with Asus tomorrow via phone and seeing if we can not hash out a solution. I will post back with any information i have for others caught in a similar predicament. However at this point i can say that it is either the CPU (unlikely), or RAM incompatibility. If the latter is indeed the case, then i am very disappointed in Asus for listing an incompatible product in their memory compatibility list. And if this is indeed the case, i will not be buying from them again and urge others to do the same. I will reserve my dissatisfaction with Asus until I speak with them tomorrow, however.

What CPU are you using? I assume you have tried a single module in all four of the slots and found the same issue each time (ensuring they are clicking into place on both sides)?

-Raja

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

Did you hook a PC speaker up to verify a memory fault? The PC being dead on attempted bootup could easily be a CPU issue. Hooking up a PC speaker will give you a beep code at startup which will shed light on whats really going on. The PC speaker will do nothing if it is a cpu fault, but you will get beeps if it is a memory fault.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
Yes i did. I get no beeps when the memory is installed, however if i remove it get the typical no memory code. It has not given me any other signals aside from this.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Just get a generic DDR3 memory stick (Crucial/Kingston 1333Mhz) and check? Always handy to have one, just in case.

jogo

Feb 2, 2004
Mine was doing the same thing. No beeps, no post. I reseated the CPU and it came right up. when I pulled the heat-sink and opened it up, it looked ok. that's want worked for me anyway. Good luck.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
Hello everyone. So i spent the morning on tech support with Asus this morning and the employee's answer kept coming back to "Are you sure your memory is compatible?". So after the phone call i checked the QVL one more time, and sure enough my memory is not a supported memory type for this board. I have to say i'm pretty embarrassed i made such a costly oversight. However i'm still not fully convinced that incompatibility is my only problem. I ended up giving my incompatible memory to my parents as a late mothers/fathers day gift and took the memory out of their HP PC (which is supported according to my mobo's manual) and put it into my build. Same problem, despite the manual saying that it is supported. So my final solution for this mobo's problem is to order some new memory that i took straight from the QVL list in the manual (Gskill Sniper series) and am going to see if that does not solve my problem. If not i will be returning both the new memory, and my Asus mobo for refunds and will buy a new mobo that is compatible with my current, old memory (Gskills Ripjaws X). And hopefully, finally, i will be done with this troubleshooting nightmare.

As always, i will update with results.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I ended up giving my incompatible memory to my parents as a late mothers/fathers day gift and took the memory out of their HP PC (which is supported according to my mobo's manual) and put it into my build. Same problem, despite the manual saying that it is supported. So my final solution for this mobo's problem is to order some new memory that i took straight from the QVL list in the manual (Gskill Sniper series) and am going to see if that does not solve my problem. If not i will be returning both the new memory, and my Asus mobo for refunds and will buy a new mobo that is compatible with my current, old memory (Gskills Ripjaws X). And hopefully, finally, i will be done with this troubleshooting nightmare.

As always, i will update with results.
Honestly, this is not the way how it should be. Is it a must to have this board? I'd RMA it and get something else.

DannyThrash89

May 31, 2012
Honestly, this is not the way how it should be. Is it a must to have this board? I'd RMA it and get something else.

Well, this is not how it's going to be. I did order new RAM, but UPS failed to deliver so now i have to go through the headache of a lost package claim. And no, this mobo is not a "must", it was just perfect at the price point and all the features seemed perfect for my needs... Until i actually needed them considering every one that i assumed would help in solving any problems i ran into with this build has failed time and time again. Also, i was mucking around with the RAM for the umpteenth time and finally got some sort of result. I plugged in the Samsung RAM from my parents computer (which, low and behold, is listed on the QVL in the manual) and booted up, the DRAM LED was dark! However my computer immediately shut off and when i turned it back on the CPU LED was lit. What the hell?! This thing has fought me every step of the way and has cost me more time and money than a build ever has, so both the CPU and mobo is getting shipped off monday. I'm getting a refund for the mobo from newegg and buying a new one (Recommendations?!) and the CPU is going back to Intel for a replacement. Or i might just refund the mobo and wait to test the CPU in different one, i don't know. What i do know is i'm almost at my limit with this.

jlw2000

Jun 23, 2012
I have this MB, and am using Corsair Ballistix with no problems.

P.S. Lame move swapping memory with the parents as a "late fathers/mothers day" present. Very lame!