Hi, I recently completed a new system build:

Mobo: Asus p8z77-v pro
Processor: i5-3570K
Memory: 16 gb G.Skill ARES F3-1866C10D-16GAB
OS Drive: 128gb Samsung 830
2nd Drive: 2tb WD Caviar Black
Optical Drive: 12x BD-R Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS
Power Supply: 750W PCPower&Cooling

I didn't have a Windows 7 pro disk handy, so I burned one after downloading the file from Digital River. Here's where I got the download link from in case it would help: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windo...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

So I put the system together and booted it up, but I didn't see a UEFI boot option in the Asus BIOS, so then I followed this tutorial: http://www.overclock.net/a/windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds-by-sean-webster to try and force the issue. Although I was able to get the SSD to switch from MBR to GPT, the second I select to try and install Windows to it, it changes back to MBR in order to install.

I then tried to disable legacy support in the BIOS to try and force it that way, but that simply lead to an error saying there is no bootable device.

Now I don't know what to do, and I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Click the "Boot" tab on the BIOS screen.

uefisettings.png

Change "Setup Mode" to "Advanced", change "UEFI/Legacy Boot" from "Enable both UEFI and Legacy" to "Disable Legacy" then save and exit. When you reinstall Windows it will be in UEFI mode.

xPrimus

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks, but I tried that, it was the last option I tried before giving up and starting this thread. No luck trying it, all I got was an error that said that there was no bootable device.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Have you checked to see if there is an updated BIOS available? I know my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 board has had three new UEFI BIOS updates released since August (and seven since June). Also, which SATA port do you have the drive plugged in to? You might want to make sure it is plugged in to SATA port 1.

EDIT: Most recent BIOS for your motherboard appears to be revision 1708, released on 11/12/2012.

Last edited:

xPrimus

Dec 10, 2012
Thanks Steltek, that fixed it. I feel very dumb now. I thought that the board should support UEFI and install on a GPT disk out of the box. Since I only recently bought it, I figured it should have a relatively up-to-date BIOS, but the version was very old. Everything works fine now and I was able to install the system as UEFI.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Nothing to feel dumb about. The last BIOS update I did on my Sabertooth Z77 board caused the UEFI/Legacy Boot option in the BIOS to vanish for some reason. I'm hoping that installing the newest available UEFI BIOS will bring it back. We'll see. . . .

amerifax

Jan 7, 2004
>>xPrimus<<
How do you like the board. I'm looking to buy it tomorrow. And issues I should know about.
Bob