Asus P8P67 PRO BSOD at W7 Loading Screen

gallagheri

Apr 13, 2014
So hello everyone. I'm having this issue that hopefully somebody can help me with.

I update my BIOS version from 1502 to 3602 (I hadnt a valid reason for it honestly, just a dumb move). Everything was fine and the computer was working correctly. Although I noticed something strange but not severe, that was a cpu core temp difference that I have not seen before. Anyway, after a few hours I had the brilliant idea to downgrade my bios to its previous version, 1502.
I wanna make it clear that I had not suffered any issue with this update other than this core temp difference which honestly was perfectly normal (and ondly on idle load) and I'm a picky idiot. Clearified that...

So I searched a few tutorials and I ended up with this one (http://smarttechtips.blogspot.com.ar/2012/08/how-to-don...) which followed successfully apparently.

I did every single step and it worked fine. I finally turn on the pc again, enter BIOS, everything worked alright in there, load default settings (I do overclock but nothing to extreme really, but of course I wanted to try everything with stock settings before doing anything), save and reset and let windows starts.

W7 animation in loading screen starts and all of the sudden BSOD. I can't get past it. I tried safemode, recovering files and every possible mode, but no, nothing gets past this screen without BSODing.

I thought the BIOS had gone right but it doesnt look like that. Kind of in a desperate move I re-update BIOS to 3602 hoping that it will fix things but no. It didnt. It stills BSODs at W7 startup.

My system is as follows:

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
4GB DDR3 1333MHz x 2
XFX 650W XXX Edition
GTX 580 MSI Twin Frozr II
SSD Crucial M4 128 GB
HDD WD Black 1TB

Any help is appreciated.

gallagheri

Apr 13, 2014
So I've been thinking that I will get the mobo fixed tomorrow, but I'd like to have options in mind.

Is gigabyte Z77X-UD3H a good replacement for my motherboard? Bear in my mind I do apply GPU and CPU overclock (nothing to extreme tho, 4.4 for the 2500k and a few mhz to the GPU).

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
There is probably a setting in the restore defaults that your OS installation hasn't seen before. If you have a good backup, re-installing Windows should take care of it.

Or if you go through the BIOS and find the settings that have changed, could fix the issue.

gallagheri

Apr 13, 2014
There is probably a setting in the restore defaults that your OS installation hasn't seen before. If you have a good backup, re-installing Windows should take care of it.

Or if you go through the BIOS and find the settings that have changed, could fix the issue.

You know I thought it was something to do with W7 installation and some inconsistency.

But I did try to reinstall W7 today but even then I wasnt able to get through anything. Right after the "Windows is loading files" it gets stuck and BSOD.

Braxos

May 24, 2013
Did you flash the bios twice?
Ide and ahci checked?
Remove power and battery

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You know I thought it was something to do with W7 installation and some inconsistency.

But I did try to reinstall W7 today but even then I wasnt able to get through anything. Right after the "Windows is loading files" it gets stuck and BSOD.

OK, what is the message and/or code for the error?

gallagheri

Apr 13, 2014
OK, what is the message and/or code for the error?

They both happen when I try to access windows in "windows is starting" loadind screen.

IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (most times this one comes up) and MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION

http://www.imgur.com/d8b9pwC.jpeg

http://www.imgur.com/CHWX7d3.jpeg

Did you flash the bios twice?
Ide and ahci checked?
Remove power and battery

More than twice at this point. Never had a problem or error code shown when flashing. Theoretically everything went OK.

Ide and ahci checked already.

I just tried removing battery for CMOS and same error. I hope thats what you mean.

Last edited:

Braxos

May 24, 2013
I was referring to this bios comment.

P8P67 PRO BIOS 3207
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.
3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
* Enable support for Intel Next Gen 22nm Processor E1 stepping MP version CPU.

*Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC.

Last edited:

gallagheri

Apr 13, 2014
I was referring to this bios comment.

P8P67 PRO BIOS 3207
1.Improve system stability.
2.Improve memory compatibility.
3.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
* Enable support for Intel Next Gen 22nm Processor E1 stepping MP version CPU.

*Please update Bios twice when update from previous Bios version, then need CLRTC.

Not reallly. I havent done that. Will try immediately. Thank you.

Edit: Tried ir. Unfortunately problem persists.

Last edited:

gallagheri

Apr 13, 2014
Ok. I "solved" it. The issue was vcore was set on auto and the bios was sending 1.13v to the cpu, which is like an extreme undervolt.

At the end it all came down to this

God... Con can this be possible? Whoever designed this Auto is really crazy.
I'm an idiot to for no noticing this before but come on!

Thank you all for the assistance!

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Glad you got it fixed. That was a weird one for sure. Stupid board! You can't trust anybody anymore, lol.

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
When they updated the CPU microcode, they inadvertantly created a vcore bug. I bet the next bios will correct this.