Asus P4T-E not capable of 133MHz FSB?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DeLa

Feb 20, 2002
You guys are getting me all confused an NERVOUS!
I ordered 2 days ago the Asus P4T-E board.

now what's the deal with?

<< Text >>

There are two versions of the P4T-E, both of which share the same revision. The newest version uses ICS brand 9212-13 DRCGs, while the older uses CYP 632081 DRCGs. Only the boards with the ICS chips can achieve stable operation at 533FSB and above. There are two DRCG chips on each board, located near the RAM slots.

Before buying a board, attempt to confirm with the vendor that the two chips located near the RAM slots have "ICS" (and not CYP) listed on them; that will ensure that 533+MHz memory is supported.

Note even if you have the version with the superior ICS chips, you will still need to use the mainboard DIP switches in order to run RDRAM at 533+MHz. Through the bios options, it is not possible to access the 1/2 AGP and 1/4 PCI dividers that are necessary to attain stable operation at high memory speeds; the only way to access these dividers is through the use of the mainboard DIP switches. Download the P4T manual from Asus' web site for info on how to correctly set the DIP switches for various memory speeds between 533MHz (PC1066) and 600Mhz (PC1200). Text

I'm a music producer, and my soundcards company states very loud!--NEVER OVERCLOCK!!!!!

Is this what this all about those chips?
If i don't overclock, makes no diffrence?or?

this may sound stupid, but is overclocking reversable, let's say it doesn't work with my soundcard?
I'm kind of new to that, sorry.

And how much % more do u get out of overclocking?
from the 400mhz, in a normal state, if I understand right, to 533, means, the data from memory to cpu will switch quicker?

Should I try it anyways?Is it worth it?

I see menbtion about PC1600, etc...But isn't it RAmbus that goes in there?And isn't it PC800?

Please be patient with me

I just had a Via Kt266 horror the last 2 months trying to fix it, and now loosing $$$ to bring it back and exchange.

Why isn't there a comapny making boards for musicans??!?!
If they wanna sponsor me, i'll help!
:)

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
If i don't overclock, makes no diffrence?or?
If you don't overclock, the CYP or ICS clock generators are going to make NO difference to you.

this may sound stupid, but is overclocking reversable, let's say it doesn't work with my soundcard?
Overclocking is completely under your control. Overclocking involves setting the clock speed higher than what Intel suggests. If you have problems, you simply set the speed back to normal.

And how much % more do u get out of overclocking?
Overclocking can get you significant gains. Overclocking a 1.6A GHz Pentium 4 to say, 2.0GHz, will make your processor perform marginally better than a 2.0A GHz Pentium 4.

from the 400mhz, in a normal state, if I understand right, to 533, means, the data from memory to cpu will switch quicker?
Increasing the front side bus not only makes the processor process information faster, but information moves faster from the RAM to the processor as well.

Should I try it anyways?Is it worth it?
It's your choice, but it's very clear that your company says no overclocking. I personally do overclock my own systems.

I see menbtion about PC1600, etc...But isn't it RAmbus that goes in there?And isn't it PC800?
RDRAM is available in ratings of PC600, PC700 and PC800. Soon PC1066 will be available.

PC1600, PC2100, PC2700, etc, are DDR SDRAM ratings.

The ratings between RDRAM and DDR RAM are not really comparable due to different designs.

DeLa

Feb 20, 2002
thanks a lot---now i understand more!

when u say u overclock your systems, do u mean u also produce music?

I got confused with the ddr thing, in the previous posts it's mentionned many times about the PC1600, 2100,ect...and don't understand why it's mentionned when we're speaking of the asus P4t-E, which is a i850 requiring rambus?!!??

nothing easy for a newbies, but I think i'm getting the hang of it!

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
It's not recommended to overclock systems when you produce music because that tends to throw certain devices and timings out of whack. You might get delays in odd places, problems with reverbs and other things that can affect the music that you produce.

For more information about DDR SDRAM and RDRAM, please read the FAQs:

What is DDR SDRAM?
What is RDRAM?