Question asus motherboard problems..

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
heyo I have a asus tuf x570-plus gaming. it works very well when booted into whatever. I had it say some weird things about csm involving my graphics card which is a 1660 ti. Im not all the up to date about csm and secure boot messing with a video card..but it seemed like it's my problem. I turned off csm. havent turned off secure boot as I dont see an option in asus's garbage pile bios...it just says delete keys. I think im going to reflash the crappy bios again.. anyone else have a fun time with a asus?

Jul 27, 2020
It's a secure boot issue. Had similar fun trying to turn off secure boot on an HP laptop. Finally succeeded by deleting the keys. Look for the security section in UEFI and delete the keys. That should turn off secure boot completely.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
With all the news about them on the Intel side I avoid them like the plague. Secure boot is worthless and CSM helps you not have to think about converting to gpt which is painless.

If you delete the keys there's a good chance it won't boot without reinstalling windows.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What windows are you running? Did you enable any extra security features in Windows, such as bitlocker?

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
You avoid asus? probably going to do the same from now on unless this weird boot thing is my fault. windows 10. bitlocker is not enabled. I leave most things default. also this issue if it was because of secure boot. wouldnt it not boot at all till secure boot was turned off if that was the issue? it boots 50/50. one boot doesnt work then the next try works.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm that is weird. Anyway, you should be able to disable secure boot, and still be able to boot no problem. Even if you delete the keys, as you don't have bitlocker on. Though it may be pertinent to do a backup first, before doing anything further, just in case.

As for Asus, they usually make decent boards, but they can be a bit on the pricey side for what they are. I have not had an AM4 Asus board, but my X99 Deluxe has served me well, and it has a fairly well made BIOS. I have had some older Asus boards as well, such as the P6X58D Premium. Also, they usually have decent BIOS options, at least from what I remember.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

rosarian007

Feb 2, 2000
Make sure your hard disks are formatted with an MBR Partition Table. Clear the CMOS with no drives installed. Then install the hard disks formatted with MBR PT. Don't use UEFI Secure Boot.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
heyo I have a asus tuf x570-plus gaming. it works very well when booted into whatever. I had it say some weird things about csm involving my graphics card which is a 1660 ti. Im not all the up to date about csm and secure boot messing with a video card..but it seemed like it's my problem. I turned off csm. havent turned off secure boot as I dont see an option in asus's garbage pile bios...it just says delete keys. I think im going to reflash the crappy bios again.. anyone else have a fun time with a asus?

I don't understand. You disabled CSM (I agree, you're highly unlikely to ever need it, it simplifies the config to disable it, and you can always re-enable it if you ever did need it), but are you still having problems?

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Make sure your hard disks are formatted with an MBR Partition Table. Clear the CMOS with no drives installed. Then install the hard disks formatted with MBR PT. Don't use UEFI Secure Boot.
I think you have this backward. If booting in UEFI mode, Windows needs to be installed to a drive initialized as GPT. If booting in legacy mode, then the boot drive must be initialized as MBR. For modern systems with Windows 10, I would generally recommend booting in UEFI mode, (with GPT of course) but also with secure boot disabled.

But I don't think this is a partition table issue. The OS boots sometimes, sometimes not. If the boot drive utilized MBR, Windows wouldn't boot at all when CSM is disabled. To me this sounds more like it may be an issue of boot order, or of unstable hardware. I am starting to think it may be boot order, after re-reading. Perhaps the first boot device is set to something other than Windows boot manager, the system tries to boot it and fails, then reboots and chooses the correct option? @Zoozuu can you confirm/check to see if this is the issue?

Also, if you could list the drives installed, which one is the Windows boot drive, and what partition table they are using, as well as your boot order, that could help give us more clues.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
welp my asus motherboard no longer boots or turns on and I was bored and didn't see a motherboard I wanted so I got a adapter for my intel nuc to use my graphics card through its thunderbolt 3 port an it works well. cost 47$. mainly got it to check out my video card and see if secure boot was the problem. which it was just the defective asus motherboard. probably going to see if i can send it in for a warranty or something. sigh