Asus memory leaks, please mention this in your next review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Himeko

May 21, 2012
Virtu is for the onboard GPU, need it if I want to use QuickSync unfortunately :( As for Ai Suite, I'll finally get rid of it.

Himeko

May 21, 2012
little update:

• The service included with the new Ai Suite III for z87 motherboards (seems to work with little issues so far with z68) doesn't exhibit the memory leak issues so far. Pretty sad they won't update the older suites with it or at least link to it in the support/downloads section.
  • Virtu on the other hand, never replied back after the initial exchange of emails, which went like.. they told me to dl latest version, linked me to a wrong one, I replied.. then they linked me to the right one, and then I replied the mem leak was still there, and that was the last time I ever heard from them. Emailed them several times, complete silence. I am now trying their MVP version (costs $60), if this one works I'll just pirate it, they don't deserve any sales with this kind of support and the version that comes with the mobos not working properly. Note also that the "free" version that comes with mobo software does not work if you don't plug the onboard GPU to a monitor, therefore not letting you use QuickSync.

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Nice to know 4GB of your RAM is dedicated to keeping those damned fans under control! :D

Or you can use Speedfan, it uses about 2.5MB ram.

Virtu is for the onboard GPU, need it if I want to use QuickSync unfortunately :( As for Ai Suite, I'll finally get rid of it.

Good luck with that. Or you can use the AI Suite uninstall tool, but you have to register at Asus forums first.

little update:

• The service included with the new Ai Suite III for z87 motherboards (seems to work with little issues so far with z68) doesn't exhibit the memory leak issues so far. Pretty sad they won't update the older suites with it or at least link to it in the support/downloads section.
  • Virtu on the other hand, never replied back after the initial exchange of emails, which went like.. they told me to dl latest version, linked me to a wrong one, I replied.. then they linked me to the right one, and then I replied the mem leak was still there, and that was the last time I ever heard from them. Emailed them several times, complete silence. I am now trying their MVP version (costs $60), if this one works I'll just pirate it, they don't deserve any sales with this kind of support and the version that comes with the mobos not working properly. Note also that the "free" version that comes with mobo software does not work if you don't plug the onboard GPU to a monitor, therefore not letting you use QuickSync.

Not surprised, crappy Fan Xpert+ was bundled with my board but when I downloaded Fan Xpert 2 from the page of a more expensive board it worked fine too (well, actually it was still crappy).

As for Virtu, it's probably the most useless piece of software ever, as long as you don't need QS.

Himeko

May 21, 2012
As for Virtu, it's probably the most useless piece of software ever, as long as you don't need QS.

Yeah, given that QS was one of the reasons for my choice of mobo/cpu, I'd like to at least be able to use it. But it has been a huge dissapointment; such an awesome feature and it comes crippled like that with so many requirements:

• Must use Virtu to use QS, unless you use only onboard GPU
  • Must plug a monitor in the onboard if you want to use the free Virtu, if you are using only a dedicated GPU
  • In that 2nd case, you must use their $60 version if you don't wanna plug a dead monitor to the onboard
  • If you use the free version, it comes with the mentioned memory leak
  • If you finally get it to work with Virtu, you must specifically add the programs that will make use of it in Virtu, very specific executables, and in the 2nd case set MVP virtu in "I mode".

Why can't we just get some software from Intel that works without all this crap, straight out of the box just like CUDA and such.

And even after you get it all working, only very few software makes use of it, and doesn't really do a very good job. I've tried 2-3 of the comercial bloatware apps, and then there's mediacoder (big mess), and Handbrake beta (very slow, not really taking advantage of QS speed somehow).

As far as I see it, QuickSync has been a major failure and it's pretty much a dead (never born) feature that noone should consider for their next PC purchase.

PS: only a couple days watching over the MVP Virtu, but it does already seem to carry over the memory leak as well in the control panel exe.

Last edited:

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
I built nothing but Asus for years and when I was too annoyed on my last Asus MoBo I built with an MSI board instead. Building is much funner and rewarding with working equipment. I was shocked when I put everything together and it started working well right away, after dealing with waiting on BIOS revisions in hopes it will solve whatever crippling issue I was dealing with. Life is much better without Asus.

Himeko

May 21, 2012
I built nothing but Asus for years and when I was too annoyed on my last Asus MoBo I built with an MSI board instead. Building is much funner and rewarding with working equipment. I was shocked when I put everything together and it started working well right away, after dealing with waiting on BIOS revisions in hopes it will solve whatever crippling issue I was dealing with. Life is much better without Asus.

MSI used to be absolute crap, how is it nowadays? The other brand I've been considering for next PC is Asrock atm (although they used to be a branch of Asus afaik). Gigabyte boards haven't pleased me much either.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
I couldn't say except I was wanting to throw the dice at a diff manufacturer and it was on a new (unreviewed) board. It's a couple of years old now, still working like a charm with practically zero maintenance so.. I got lucky.

I will probably build next time with an MSI, but my knowledge is purely anecdotal so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

icanhascpu2

Jun 18, 2009
I know its not a fix, but cant y'all just make a task to auto restart the service/whatever every 24 hours.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
MSI used to be absolute crap, how is it nowadays? The other brand I've been considering for next PC is Asrock atm (although they used to be a branch of Asus afaik). Gigabyte boards haven't pleased me much either.

I think MSI boards are pretty solid, although I really prefer using Asus for my system builds. Aside from that, I think MSI makes *awesome* GPUs - The lightning and gaming line of GPUs are among the best. Whisper quiet and overclock extremely well. While I prefer Asus for system motherboards, I don't think i'd hesitate to recomment MSI either. They make good stuff.

As far as the topic at hand, I can't replicate this behavior at all. I had no memory leaks in conjunction with AI suite on either my current P8Z77 Deluxe or the P8P67 that proceeded that. Additionally, I have not heard of any complaints about Asus Z87 boards having issues with AI suite related memory leaks. I also see some mentions of Virtu. I cannot fathom why anyone would use that junk - I tried it ONCE and it caused system crashes incessantly while not working with 95% of the games I tried it on. It (Virtu) truly is a worthless piece of software IMHO.

Last edited:

Himeko

May 21, 2012
Confirmed MVP $60 version of Virtu still has the memory leak.

rytvg7r.png

dare2die

Nov 2, 2013
Hi all, this issue just recently started to plague me (P8Z77-V). I still need my AI Suite though.

You've mentioned that the issue is absent from AI Suite III (also i heard that it has a nicer UI vs AI-2), but AI-3 isn't offered for Z77, do you know how to make it work for Z77?

Thanks in advance!

terente

Apr 2, 2013
You're right their software suite is riddled with bugs but then again, who buys an enthusiast board and installs the crap that comes with it?
I like my system running "lights", never install crappy software that's supposed to control what I can set in BIOS.
The stuff AI Suite sais it enables is there by default IMO.
UASP is part of the USB 3.0 stack as I remember. It should work by default in Windows 8 and if you're runninng W7 then download the USB 3.0 w7 driver from Intel and you're in the clear without issues and hundreds of processes/services running in the background.
I also bet the USB charger functionality can also be enabled from BIOS and am willing to bet that there are tons of other software that can make your computer into an WiFi AP/repeater, provided you have a WiFi adapter.

p5200

Aug 29, 2013
I installed the z87-a motherboard and am not sure if I installed the AI Suite or not, where can I check to see? Thanks! :confused: If everyone is referring to Ai Tweaker in bios, then I guess I did install it OH BOY!

Last edited:

p5200

Aug 29, 2013
AH, I do have it I disabled it in services and it doesn't show to be running in Task manager now. I guess I'll see if there are any ill effects now. :confused: