Asus GT240 card (as review by AT)

Knowname

Feb 17, 2005
lol that was a terrible review. They seemed impressed by the Asus' cooler (can you move these coolers btw?? say onto a Palit 1gb DDR5 GT240 who's cooler is way too inneficient and loud?) yet say nothing about it. Specifically I want to know about the card's GPU guard and dust-proof fan? but nothing.

But what more can you expect from a card that 'doesn't matter'. Terrible review.

But I am glad to see the Asus card ($85 after mir) getting props there no matter how much it is talking out of the side of your obviously anal face. It's good to see. Now how about the rest of the card? A proper review of the card? Or is it not worth your time.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes you can get a 9800gt for the same price, but the GT240 does posses certain features that are perfect for the HTPC.

I wish they would review accordingly...give me some HQV scores.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
lol that was a terrible review. They seemed impressed by the Asus' cooler (can you move these coolers btw?? say onto a Palit 1gb DDR5 GT240 who's cooler is way too inneficient and loud?) yet say nothing about it. Specifically I want to know about the card's GPU guard and dust-proof fan? but nothing.

But what more can you expect from a card that 'doesn't matter'. Terrible review.

But I am glad to see the Asus card ($85 after mir) getting props there no matter how much it is talking out of the side of your obviously anal face. It's good to see. Now how about the rest of the card? A proper review of the card? Or is it not worth your time.

Well, the card is slower than the 9800GT, yet competes with it price-wise. It is a card that doesn't matter.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Until the 9800 and 9600 are discontinued. These new cards should be costing nv a lot less to make, and in the future as the 40nm process matures a * L O T * less to make.

Right now a 9800, especially green, is a wiser choice. But once that choice disappears and the DDR5 cards match the 4670 pricewise they'll start making more sense. The 9800 also has the advantage of being SLI capable if you're into the whole multi-GPU pain thing.

The lower priced DDR3 version is aimed squarely at the end user who will forget there is a massive performance difference between the DDR5 and DDR3 models with the same model number.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
The GT 240 card has been doomed from the beginning, at least so long as cheap GeForce 9800 GTs remain available. If they dry up the way the Radeon HD 4850s have done, then...

The 9800 GT uses an early implementation of PureVideo (I think 'VP2', which was the first nVidia video-playback tech worth a damn). Apparently the GT 240 uses VP4 or 5, though I'm not really sure how much improvement this provides. According to Wikipedia. VP2 could not decode VC-1 video, and VP3 couldn't work at certain irregular resolutions. I'm not sure if the resulting video image has improved in any fashion (things like antialiasing, upscaling, deinterlacing).

The great attraction of the GT 240 is its extremely low power draw, making it plausible for use on many OEM systems with c 300-watt power supplies and without PCI-E power plugs. Unfortunately, from a purely gaming perspective, of course, there's no reason to select it above the 9800 GT (or even perhaps the 9600 GT).

If the GT 240 (DDR5) were available for less than $75, then perhaps there would be some appeal here. Some rebates have begun to appear, so nVidia and the video card brands may finally be starting to see reason.

Edited: I wish some of the reviews had directly compared the 9800 GT low-power (550 MHz core) and the GT 240 DDR5.

Last edited:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
But the GT 240 supposedly has support for AVC-MVC! Heh. I gather that's, erm, 3D codec support? No idea if anyone has or is planning to implement this.

That is the new standard codec for 3D Blu-Ray, the specs were finished for it in December by Sony and its partners. I would say that's a pretty cool feature, not very widely implemented (at all actually :p), but this is the future imo :)

Knowname

Feb 17, 2005
But the GT 240 supposedly has support for AVC-MVC! Heh. I gather that's, erm, 3D codec support? No idea if anyone has or is planning to implement this.
regardless a review is a review and this is just an incredibly UNPROFESSIONAL review. Personally I'd rather pick up a GF240 than a 9800gt from the scrap heap. It's likely there for a reason, I went through this in the 6800 days. You know what I found? 3 6800les that couldn't oc. Once bitten twice shy.
Other than the card (and it's 3d capabilitys) this was a chance to cover many new (if not brand new) technologys, ie vp5, dx10.1, whatever your talking about and so on, not to mention the Asus' added benefits I'd like to know if their just marketing flub? This review is a travesty to anybody with a curious mind. thanks AT you've really sold out since the K6+ days.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, if you look at the xbit labs review, the gt220 isn't as good for the HTPC.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Other than the card (and it's 3d capabilitys) this was a chance to cover many new (if not brand new) technologys, ie vp5, dx10.1.....

DX 10.1 cards have been available for 2+ years which is a absolute eternity as far as computer hardware is concerned.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
2+ years? the 4800 series where the first DX 10.1 cards that I was aware of and that has been right at 1.5 years ago.

The HD38xx series is the first one to offer DX10.1 and it debuted in November 2007. Just to straighten that out :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
The HD38xx series is the first one to offer DX10.1 and it debuted in November 2007. Just to straighten that out :)
yeah I realized that right after I posted it and then edited it out. you replied too fast. lol

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I thought the review was pretty straight forward and informative. What were you expecting? This is the card to get in 2010?

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The ATI 3xxx series were dog shit.

But being 10.1 compatible softens the blow I suppose. Hooray!

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I was in the market for a new card for my system (older Athlon X2 4600+, runs XP) this week. I was able to get a 1GB 9800GT with 2 x dvi (I have 2 19" monitors) for $95. The GT240 cards I saw were DVI/HDMI/D-Sub with nothing to convert the HDMI to DVI in any of the boxes I saw.

I figure this will get my system through 1 more year before I build a new one. My current card (8600GS or GT) can run Crysis OK, but not at the full screen res of 1280, so I wanted to try and fix that. Otherwise I generally play Eve Online and other games that don't tax the video card all that much.

So I agree with the review. There was nothing in the newer cards that make it better than existing cards at same or lower cost. In my case, i paid pretty much the same and will end up with better gaming performance.

If i were building my newer system today, I would buy an ATI card for better performance.

Michael