Asus EeePC 1005ha Individual Battery Cell Replacement

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Could anyone point out what type of lithium batteries this netbook uses? ill know for sure when i take the battery pack apart, of course, but i want to order the cells first.

i know all about building lithium packs, thats not a worry. the battery is only 3 cell, i can just tell by weight (its empty on the back row). runs the laptop for about 2 hours. i plan on making it a 6 cell.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i know i wont save any money, but the quality of the cells you get in those packs usually arent very high. i figured about $60 for 6 pre-tabbed cells, so that makes it a lot easier to put together. plus what most 9 cell battery packs can hold in amperage i can make a 6 cell do the same thing if i buy custom cells.

ill probably just try splitting the pack open tomorrow and see what i got.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
How many netbooks actually come with these "half filled" batteries?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
i know i wont save any money, but the quality of the cells you get in those packs usually arent very high. i figured about $60 for 6 pre-tabbed cells, so that makes it a lot easier to put together. plus what most 9 cell battery packs can hold in amperage i can make a 6 cell do the same thing if i buy custom cells.

ill probably just try splitting the pack open tomorrow and see what i got.

If you have the time could you keep on us updated on this project. (Sounds really interesting)

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
ok since you asked i got a little motivated

its actually already cut open at this point, once reassembled you wont hardly notice it was messed with

I used an exacto knife to open it. it was a little harder then most battery packs, but i pretty much found that you have to stop worrying about puncturing the battery and forcefully slice through the seam. i hit the battery a lot, i really shouldnt keep it inside anymore but it seems fine.

ill either get protected batteries or new pcb's to protect the new 6 cell pack. looks like there is zero headroom on the ends, which means i have to buy 'buttonless' batteries- and even then its still going to be a tight fit.

they are LG batteries. OEM flavor of course. which isnt bad actually, most non-oem battery packs you buy have generic cells.

you can see they are in fact 18650's. By searching the serial number online, they look to be 2200ma style. pretty standard. and since i only have 3 cells i only had a 2.2ah pack. this case does infact have room for 6 cells, and you can buy 3000mah cells, for a possible 6ah battery pack (11.1v). once rebuilt i should get well over 10 hours runtime i think.

ill order the batteries soon. it would be really nice to run my netbook all day long without plugging it in.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
and to add, the design of the battery and its cradle on the netbook is outstanding. asus made it so that even if you split the battery pack in half like i did, it will still plug into the laptop and not fall apart. the chassis locks the battery pack together when you slide it in. this is just perfect, i cant say much anything i dont like about the 1005ha. all it needs is a dual core processor and real graphics solution, which models like that should be out this spring.

edit- i found the batteries ill use. trustfire 2500mah. dealextreme has them for $20 shipped for 6 cells. this will be a lot cheaper then i thought. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19770

itll be a couple weeks before i get them though

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
well this project is dead. its basically not possible with the newest laptop batteries i guess. mine has a CPU on the circuit board, which monitors everything under the sun for the battery, and it stores the info for the lifetime of the cells. and once even one cell goes bad, the pack permanetly disables the circuitry (it even flashes itself to a state that it cant ever be re-written).

my pack still gets detected by windows, and says its charging, but the laptop immediately shuts off when i unplug the power cord. i test the voltage of the cells and the whole pack is at 12.85v, which is at the cutoff limit.. so theres a good chance my pack killed itself. it does still detect in windows though, so maybe i can just drain the batteries and try charging it again.

in the meantime, a new $30 6-cell premade pack is on the way, for obvious reasons.