Asus CUSL2-C and Tualatin

egeekial

Jan 1, 2002
I just got a used Asus CUSL2-C , a FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 adapter from compgeeks, and a celeron 1.3GHz. I set the jumpers on the adapter, put everything in, set it to jumper-free mode, and booted. The fans spun, the lights on the keyboard blinked, but I got no video, no post, and num-lock wouldn't light when I pressed it.

I've tried messing with the motherboard jumpers, different RAM, taking CPU out and putting it back in, different video cards, just about everything I can think of.
Also, the guy I got the mobo from says that he thinks it's the latest beta BIOS...

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You need the Asus TUSL2-C or TUSL2 that adds support for Tualitin processors.

the CUSL2 is coppermine's and below.

egeekial

Jan 1, 2002
That's why I have the adapter...

370GU adapter

That isn't the adapter that I have, but that should be a good indication that an adapter does in fact work.

the adapter I have

on the site, it says the got the CUSL2 (not -C) to work with the adapter, so it should work in the CUSL2-C, too, I would think.

Matt155

Dec 27, 2000
I would say try booting with a FC-PGA socket processor first if you have one handy to rule out the motherboard. Then I would try flashing to the last bios released for that motherboard. Maybe it the bios the cpu parameters were set wrong, probably the FSB setting.

Did you clear the cmos? or trying constantly pressing the insert key when you power up to try to get into the bios, might take several trys.

I have been running the slocket adapter from ungradeware on my Abit BH6 for many years with 1.3 Tulatin overclocked to 1456 mhz, thats 112 fsb. Solid as a rock.

Anyone one else?

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: egeekial
That's why I have the adapter...

370GU adapter

That isn't the adapter that I have, but that should be a good indication that an adapter does in fact work.

the adapter I have

on the site, it says the got the CUSL2 (not -C) to work with the adapter, so it should work in the CUSL2-C, too, I would think.

wow, I've never seen such a thing before... i had no idea!!

I've only ever seen the slot converter/etc... that's cool... yeah I guess it should work then!

jhurst

Mar 29, 2004
I thought the CUSL-2's were only rated for 900mhz (or so) or below?? I once bought a 1.1 ghz for my CUSL-2 and the thing didn't work either. Ended up getting a new board.

egeekial

Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: jhurst
I thought the CUSL-2's were only rated for 900mhz (or so) or below?? I once bought a 1.1 ghz for my CUSL-2 and the thing didn't work either. Ended up getting a new board.

No, it technically should be able to support any frequency. I have heard of people running 1.4GHz CPUs in motherboards that have a maximum multiplier of 12. Of course the BIOS will see it as something weird, but it still runs properly. The multiplier is locked, so it doesn't matter.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I have that adaptor, and have used it to get a Celeron 1.2 Tualatin to run in a Shuttle SV24. As I recall, the default jumper settings were the correct ones for running a Tualatin Celeron. If you have fiddled with the jumpers, double-check to make sure they are set right, or try setting them back the way they were. The suggestions of using a Coppermine CPU and flashing to the newest official BIOS are good ones, as is clearing the BIOS through jumper. Good luck.