asus chromebox issues

towncarblue

Nov 7, 2014
i recent got my hands on a asus chromebox with a celeron chip. i installed a dual boot xbmc-chrome OS. internet running over built in wifi from a asus dark knight router.
im having some issues....

1- (PLEX) on my samsung tv i installed plex and it runs really good [ i can skip back and forth with no lag ]. on chrome os there is a very minimal drag [ a split second ] i can live with it.on xbmc there is a huge drag [ about 3 seconds ] often seeing a cache is full on the bottom right of of the screen.

2- (dual os vs linux) im running a dual boot setup right now. i use chrome for web browsing and xbmc for playback / streaming. would i be better off just installing linux and running xbmc
and google chrome from within linux ? is this system powerful enough ? would it cause lag issues ? does linux have the proper drivers for the chromebox?

3- (video playback) on my tv i use samsung link. when i play a 1080p mkv file [ whether streaming or usb connected ] it plays well with no lag i can even rewind and fast forward with no lag. on chrome os it plays the files from the usb but there is no audio, the video looks good though. on xbmc with a usb sometimes there is a split second pause , like a slight buffering and it keeps happening on some of my 1080p files [these files worked perfectly on my wdtv hd streaming live] and the contrast is set very high.

i dont know if either i expected too much from this chromebox or if xbmc does not the correct drivers for the chromebox? i need input from other people with experience from this box:confused::confused::confused::(

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
1- (PLEX) on my samsung tv i installed plex and it runs really good [ i can skip back and forth with no lag ]. on chrome os there is a very minimal drag [ a split second ] i can live with it.on xbmc there is a huge drag [ about 3 seconds ] often seeing a cache is full on the bottom right of of the screen.

Whole point of XBMC is to play files on that hardware rather than have to transcode the videos from Plex. What you are trying to do is like towing a NASA rocket to space with a weather balloon- the best solution is to turn the rocket engines on!

If you need help adding sources in XBMC look here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources

I suggest SMB sources for everything.

2- (dual os vs linux) im running a dual boot setup right now. i use chrome for web browsing and xbmc for playback / streaming. would i be better off just installing linux and running xbmc
and google chrome from within linux ? is this system powerful enough ? would it cause lag issues ? does linux have the proper drivers for the chromebox?

ChromeOS IS Linux underneath. There is no real advantage to the Chrome OS, just install Chrome on the other side.

3- (video playback) on my tv i use samsung link. when i play a 1080p mkv file [ whether streaming or usb connected ] it plays well with no lag i can even rewind and fast forward with no lag. on chrome os it plays the files from the usb but there is no audio, the video looks good though. on xbmc with a usb sometimes there is a split second pause , like a slight buffering and it keeps happening on some of my 1080p files [these files worked perfectly on my wdtv hd streaming live] and the contrast is set very high.

You need to turn off the GPU acceleration and let the CPU decode the videos. This is a known issue. To fix disable the 'Prefer VAAPI Rendering' option Settings-->Video-->Acceleration.

towncarblue

Nov 7, 2014
i now have yet another issue...

i bought the xbox 360 slim media remote [black] and a microsoft usb dongle.
i connected the dongle to the chromebox but it wont recognize it, the dongle does recognise my xbox 360 controller though , and the xbox itself recognizes the remote [ tested to make sure its not broken ]
do i have to download a repository or mess with the settings?
how do i get this remote to work?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
i now have yet another issue...

i bought the xbox 360 slim media remote [black] and a microsoft usb dongle.
i connected the dongle to the chromebox but it wont recognize it, the dongle does recognise my xbox 360 controller though , and the xbox itself recognizes the remote [ tested to make sure its not broken ]
do i have to download a repository or mess with the settings?
how do i get this remote to work?

I will be honest, I have never tried a 360 remote nor have I heard of someone trying. Most people use a Media Center Edition remote like this:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16880101002

Or a Harmony.

towncarblue

Nov 7, 2014
i figured out that i was using the wrong usb dongle. ill just wait for my flirck usb dongle.

i bought a ps3 blu ray remote[ has bluetooth ] but i cant get the openelec to see it :$

NEVERMIND .. IT FINALLY FOUND IT

Last edited: