Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe 4GB

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
Does anyone know what will work on the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe system board to bring the OS to 4GB?

I have a small list of requirements.

- 4 GB will be seen by the Bios

- With 4 GB installed and quick boot disabled in the BIOS the system does not fail at 3GB and then reboots during post.

- 4 GB to be seen by the OS. Right now only 3 is seen when quick boot is enabled.

Memory tested:

- 4 GB PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM 3-3-3 DIMM Kit - After reading the manual I found that the board will only work with 2 chips of this type.

- 4 GB PC2700 333MHz 184-pin Non-ECC Unbuffered CL2.5 DDR SDRAM DIMM Kit . I was advised by Kingston that they have not received a MB from Asus for testing but users have successfully used the above memory. Unfortunately that was not the case and the system has the same symptoms and only sees 3 GB in the OS and 4 GB at post.

4GB is a lot but for a search engine it blows away anything out there!

Machine Specs:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ver.1.02
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache
PQI POWER Series 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200 (Total 4GB: This also did not work for above reason)
WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
Antec 4U rackmount chassis with 400W Power Supply

imported_Computer MAn

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2004
What are you doing with your computer. Because AFAIK Windowws will only allocate up to 2GB of memory to each application. IMO 4GB is overkill for anything other than a server or workstation. And to answer you question pretty much any memory should work but it might be dropped to 333mhz by default

jose

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Do you need SLI ? If so then Iwill & Tyan will have Opteron based mobo's out late in Feb.

If you don't need SLI then look at the Iwill DK8N for a agp opteron mobo..

It would be best to use ECC memory w/ that much ram...

There will be a new SLI dual Opteron mobo from Iwill called the DK8ES ....

Regards,
Jose

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
We are using the system as a search engine for our site and it is replacing a Compaq DL360 Dual PIII 933 MHz (original system cost $4100 3 years ago). In our QA environment we went from 3 quarries a second to be able to run 10 in a stable environment with this new system.

My concern is that right now we have 4 GB installed and the system is working but only sees 3GB. Also when the system is tested with Memtest86 or just a boot memory test the system fails and reboots.

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
The problem is that one of our developers went ahead and configured out this system purchased it and now IT is now trying to deal with it. Kingston has been great in sending out memory but before I go back to the drawing board I was hoping someone had experience with having 4 GB of memory and has the Asus MB see it and work with it.

Hilandertheone

Feb 1, 2005
One thing there might be a problem with is the memory itself. Everything i have read says that the ASUS mb performs better on 2.5-2-2-5 memory as well as the AMD cpu's. So that is where i would start.
On ASUS'S home page they have a list of memory that works with there mother boards, also Anandtech just did an article on memory you might want to read it low latancy memory is better!!!! Hope this helped!

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
I am running extensive tests on the memory right now with 2GB installed and using Memtest86. Some of the DIMMs have shown errors so I am trying to put together 4GB of working memory but I am looking at a pair of PC3200 and 2700. I will tell you if it works or blows up! I will also look into the memory setting 2.5-2-2-5 with 4GB of the 2700 memory.

Thanks Everyone!

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: JoeyDe
The problem is that one of our developers went ahead and configured out this system purchased it and now IT is now trying to deal with it. Kingston has been great in sending out memory but before I go back to the drawing board I was hoping someone had experience with having 4 GB of memory and has the Asus MB see it and work with it.

cant let developers buy hardwware :p

imported_NoGodForMe

May 3, 2004
I would relax the timings to 2336.
I have an A8V and can't run at 2225.
I've run 2 gig in my A8V and it works, but I don't see any differance in games.

HappyCracker

Mar 10, 2001
Boards typically go nuts with all memory slots loaded with dense memory like that; registered (not necessarily ECC) is usually used. I do find it odd that you are getting errors. Perhaps the memory needs a skosh more voltage or something. Then there's also this:
When 4GB or more of memory, physical or logical, is installed, some memory is reserved for various system resources and is unavailable to the operating system. The amount of memory that is reserved for system resources depends on the operating system, the configuration of the server, and the configured PCI options.
(Taken from IBM)

However, I've usually only heard of the last .5GB not showing up. I don't know how much this has changed with AMD64, but maybe it will help you find answers.

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
I tried the timings for the memory at 2336 and 2225 and they both failed at post. I am in the process of calling Kingston to see what they have for info on this MB and what I should do with the RMA on the memory they shipped me (4 GB PC2700 333MHz 184-pin Non-ECC Unbuffered CL2.5 DDR SDRAM DIMM Kit ). They had intel that other users had successfully used this memory in the Asus MB.

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
HappyCracker

Boards typically go nuts with all memory slots loaded with dense memory like that; registered (not necessarily ECC) is usually used. I do find it odd that you are getting errors. Perhaps the memory needs a skosh more voltage or something. Then there's also this
.5GB sounds excessive but a full 1GB makes me wonder if everything is working the way they intended it to. In the Asus manual does mention ?Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 4 GB of system memory when you installed four 1 GB DDR memory modules.? That is an under statement and I did use 2 types of memory from Asus's QVL list and here I am. I also tried one that was not on the list and I had the same results.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: JoeyDe
HappyCracker

Boards typically go nuts with all memory slots loaded with dense memory like that; registered (not necessarily ECC) is usually used. I do find it odd that you are getting errors. Perhaps the memory needs a skosh more voltage or something. Then there's also this
.5GB sounds excessive but a full 1GB makes me wonder if everything is working the way they intended it to. In the Asus manual does mention ?Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 4 GB of system memory when you installed four 1 GB DDR memory modules.? That is an under statement and I did use 2 types of memory from Asus's QVL list and here I am. I also tried one that was not on the list and I had the same results.

0.5GB is "normal"-ish.
I have an old Abit board that will only pick up a max of 3.5GB IIRC, even with 4x1GB sticks.
But losing 1GB I don't think should happen.

jose

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
1 - Return the mobo & processor or have the developer pay for it...
2 - Exchange the memory for ECC
3 - Get an Opteron Mobo.

If you look at Asus's site under supported memory for the A8N, you'll notice only 1 gig dimms are supported in only 2 slots... That means only 2 gigs...

"B* : Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration"

Regards,
Jose

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
If you look at Asus's site under supported memory for the A8N, you'll notice only 1 gig dimms are supported in only 2 slots... That means only 2 gigs...

Thanks everyone for looking into this.
I just went back to Asus website to confirm with the QVL and found that the list has grown ten fold and has since removed all support for the 1GB DIMMs for all 4 slots. This was not the case in the Manual and on the Asus website a few weeks back.

ASUS "Are you game enough?"

So I hate to continue this but any recommendations to replace the MB and use my existing hardware?

Parts Specs: (No I do not need SLI)
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache (939-pin)
- WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive
- 4 GB PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM 3-3-3 DIMM

Trash:
A8N-SLI Deluxe system board
A great board just wish it lived up to the 4GB myth. Developer jumped the technology line and tripped when he purchased it.

jose

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Here you go, you'll have to get an Opteron(s). I'd get a 246 Opteron

Tyan Tiger K8W (no 64bit pci) need registered dimms.. dual opteron
Tyan Thunder K8W (has 64bit pci-x) needs registered ecc dual opteron
Tyan Tomcat K8S (no sata) single opteron

I'd dbl check the Qualified Memory Vendor List... Here's the list for the Tiger K8W
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory_s2875.html

Notice the Cosiar Registered ECC 1 gig dimms.... Also note you have to get a 2XX series cpu for this mobo not a 1XX series..

Note: You can give me the A8N, instead of throwing in the trash. ;)

Regards,
Jose

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Why would you get an SLI board for server purposes?

IamTHEsnake

Feb 4, 2004
That A8N-SLI has been nothing but trouble for eveyone. It seems as though half of all the posts in the MB forum are about issues with the A8N.

For shame Asus.

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
Thanks everyone for the feed back! Looks like for now I will just go with the 4GB installed and 3GB usable in the OS. jose you did have first dibs on the A8N if it was headed for the trash but it looks like a keeper.

Have a good one everyone,
Joe

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Make sure command rate is 2t. The reviews I've read here they need to use 2t to use 4 dimms. But you probably have it set like that since it works just not seein all the memory.

Jan 29, 2005
Hmm interesting, Asus is the kind of company, that I would expect them to get a problem like this fixed. I am going with this board, but im not going anywhere near 4 gb memory. Perhaps they need a bios revision to correct this, something I will definitly keep my eye on.

JoeyDe

Jan 31, 2005
I have tried Auto, 1t and 2t and the best results came when it was set to Auto with 2GB installed.

Results from Memory Timing settings: Memory speed using PC3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM

2GB installed (2 DIMMs in black or blue slots) Auto = 2016 MB/s
4GB installed (four 1 GB DIMMs installed) Auto = 1642 MB/s
4GB installed (four 1 GB DIMMs installed) 1t = 1416 MB/s
4GB installed (four 1 GB DIMMs installed) 2t = 1416 MB/s

Yes I was thinking the same thing when I was testing and that when set to Auto it produced different but faster results.

Because I tossed the scrap of paper away I may be a little off on the numbers. Also note that all timing settings only allowed the 3GB to be seen by the OS and my Memtest86 apps when 4GB was installed.
TextHmm interesting, Asus is the kind of company, that I would expect them to get a problem like this fixed. I am going with this board, but im not going anywhere near 4 gb memory.

I am sure this would be a great workstation / home machine and Asus has since taken off all information leading you to believe that 4GB can be installed in the system. The updated QVL tells the tail and the disappearance or 4GB ability.

I am also sorry I did not place this thread in the motherboard category so more eyeballs could get on this.