ASUS A7n8X Deluxe Problems (FULL POST)

Nighthawk168

Jul 23, 2003
Hey guys,

I just bought some parts from new egg, built the system, and now i'm not getting a signal to the monitor.

Components:
ASUS A7n8x Deluxe
Corsair Value Select PC3200 256MB
AMD XP 2500+ Retail
Seagate 40GB 7200rpm ATA100
ASUS Ti4200 64mb agp
ASUS 52x24x52x

OK here is the problem:

TURN ON POWER SWITCH - CD ROM LED Lights up,
CPU/Power, all fans work, but no display no boot noises
no BIOS Screen -

I was thinking it could be the ram ? would that prohibit a boot?

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Confirm that all the parts are fully seated. The AGP slot has two rows of electrical contacts, so make sure the video card is ALL the way down in there. Plug some headphones into the green line-out audio jack on the motherboard and see if the POST Reporter is giving an error message of some kind, too.

Also, what power supply are you using (what brand, model and wattage)?

MasterFlash

Aug 15, 2003
Yeah, I'd take out the vid card and reseat it firmly. Then power back on. If nothing at all comes up on your screen, i.e. you're not even Posting, then double check your power leads from P/S to Mobo. If you've got an old vid card, put that in and start over. It's most likely a bad video card connection or cable connection somewhere; you just need to find it :)

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
I am having the same problem... using Corsair 3200... no beep, no post, monitor has no signal... it's not my monitor... My PNY GF4 ti4200 was working fine... what the heck...

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but, in my experience it's usually a dead CPU or ram..

Take that HSF off and reseat the CPU along with the ram...

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
I tested the Corsair ram on my roommate's computer. It works.

NO POST!!! I tried my roommate's ram (crucial 2100 and his vid card which is identical to mine, PNY GF4 ti4200) NO POST. No beepingm no nothing, just spinning drive and fans... arg!!

So ruling that out, it could be the MOBO or the CPU(please not this....)

I bought a retail CPU. Couldnt be dead... i opened the package and i installed it right away. I did put a SK7 HS. But it was done without any crazy pressure.

So how do i know it is the board? or CPU?

Im using Antec Sonanta case (l love it) w/ 280 antec PS

by the way, HD spins, fans turn, i got a green light on the mobo, case lights are on ok, except that the after it doesnt post with no signal to the monitor, all the lights stay on. i have no floppy, one pionner dvr105 drive, one brand new maxtor 160 gig hd(i gotta format that)

I have the Deluxe rev 2.0 PCB from newegg. should i RMA it?

Could i have cracked the cpu?? i have never done that. i have installed 10 systems, amd xp being 5 of them.. i've used bigger and heavier HS before... NIGHTMARE!! sigh.. sob sob...

I have had a bad mobo(OLD msi mobo supporting duron and athlon) before. It did post, but got stuck as soon as posted... so could it be the cpu?? what kind of errors would u expect when cpu is dead?? it should still post right? I mean mobo doesnt look for cpu until it boots up?? Come on ASUS.. at least gimme some beeping or something!!

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Cool down... relax...
Panic won't help.

Try to think of what you did/didn't do during this install.

If all else fail, RMA?

kormaster

Apr 19, 2001
Call me dumb. Call me stupid. Call me a.. whatever.. i made a stupid mistake.. Im wondering if i should tell you guys.. i dont wanna be called a noobie.. hahahha

I had mistaken the CMOS clear jumper with the SATA jumper.. which is next to each other... i kept it CMOS on J2,3... instead of J1,2... no wonder.. DUHHHHH heh.

Ok.. so it boots... the setup menu is crazy.. SOO many features.. i was drooling.

Ok guys.. i need help AGAIN.. haha

I have no floppy drive. Dont ask me why (I gave them away... i dont use floppy. and i had Shuttle Sk41g before so i didnt put it in and instead wanted to have 2 HDs)

I am trying to format my new Maxtor 160 gig drive... Windows XP setup disk only regonizes as 130gig.. im like.. im getting ripped off?? But it is recognized as 160 gig when it posts. what am i doing wrong agaiin... i know it's not the CMOS jumper.. hehe

EDIT: Seems like there are problems installing 160gig HD on a WinXP... is that true with slipstreamed SP1?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: kormaster
EDIT: Seems like there are problems installing 160gig HD on a WinXP... is that true with slipstreamed SP1?

Pre-XP-SP1 and Pre-2k-SP4 will only recognise/partition up to 132gb. You will need to partition it into 2 (or more) or get SP1 slipstreamed. It's quite easy if you've got a CD burner :)

Confused