Asus 970 pro gaming/aura, what drivers do i Download?? HELP

gareth fraser

Nov 24, 2016
Please could someone tell me from this link what drivers i actually need to make this motherboard function.

The link for the drivers are from asus:

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/970-PRO-GAMING-AURA/HelpDesk_Download/

I have windows 10 pro 64 bit.

Could someone also tell me why there are no sata drivers for windows 10 64 bit version for this motherboard?

I have emailed asus but they are no help.

I would be grateful for your input.

Thankyou in advance.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Does it need SATA drivers outside of the ones built into Windows? I'd guess there are drivers provided for older versions of Windows due to these being too old to have these drivers built in. The 970 chipset is quite old, so I'd expect every feature in it to be well supported by any Windows 10 installation. In my experience, modern moderboards require nearly no driver downloads to be fully functional. However, manufacturer provided drivers might have some additional features that generic Windows drivers don't.

Do you actually own this motherboard, or are you wondering before a potential purchase?

gareth fraser

Nov 24, 2016
Hi, Thanks for your reply, yes i own it and going through the driver downloads, to find so many, was wondering if i actually needed them all.

gareth fraser

Nov 24, 2016
Electrician by trade!! First time build for my son, who wants a cheap gaming pc for minecraft.
But i got sucked in by the build of it and im hooked!!!

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
To make things easy: If everything is working fine, and you're not missing any functionality or somehow seeing that your hardware isn't performing to spec, I'd leave well enough alone. Windows Update is pretty good at installing up-to-date and functional drivers for everything except for graphics cards. Those should always be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

As for utilities, that depends if you need anything they do. The Aura app will be useful if you want to actually control the RGB lighting you've already paid for. I'd advise against using any type of RAM cache - it's fast, but doesn't give any tangible benefit to regular use, and can cause data loss or corruption in case of a power failure or crash. That big bundle with AI suite and all the rest - some of it can be useful (e.g. USB 3 boost to boost USB transfer speeds, Ai charger to charge phones and tablets quicker from onboard USB ports). That bundle installs a whole bunch of stuff and lets you control most/all of it through the AI Suite app. Can be handy, especially for setting fan curves and the like outside of Windows. You'll mostly find out what the individual utilities do by googling them.

Btw, welcome to the club. I think we're all hooked on building PCs here :p