ASUS 670 TOP Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realjetavenger

Dec 8, 2008
I've been following the overclock thread as well. From that thread it does not sound promising for the TOP cards. However, mine came in last night and I just got it installed.
So, I ran it on heaven. The card was stable for 20 minutes of running it. It was left bone stock except I adjusted the fan profile to have it ramp up sooner. Seemed to do the trick. My boost clock came back at 1267 with memory at 6008. Max temp was 69. GPU usage hit 99% and volts topped out at 1.175. Power target reached 111%.
If you have to downclock your card from its out of the box settings, I'd have to say you may want to rma it. I would have a hard time accepting a bios update that downclocked the card from the settings it was supposed to be able to run out of the box. If that turns out to be the fix, I would go with the windforce, which is cheaper anyway.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
I've been following the overclock thread as well. From that thread it does not sound promising for the TOP cards. However, mine came in last night and I just got it installed.
So, I ran it on heaven. The card was stable for 20 minutes of running it. It was left bone stock except I adjusted the fan profile to have it ramp up sooner. Seemed to do the trick. My boost clock came back at 1267 with memory at 6008. Max temp was 69. GPU usage hit 99% and volts topped out at 1.175. Power target reached 111%.
If you have to downclock your card from its out of the box settings, I'd have to say you may want to rma it. I would have a hard time accepting a bios update that downclocked the card from the settings it was supposed to be able to run out of the box. If that turns out to be the fix, I would go with the windforce, which is cheaper anyway.

That is a gigantic out of box boost. If it stays stable, that's a win for you, but just realize that would probably be beyond the max boost of 75% of the cards out there. I can't believe ASUS meant to ship cards like that. It would be like shipping a 7850 at 1200 or a 7970 at 1250.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

Great info on your experience.

I agree, a bios release isn't what I'd be looking for with a new card; thankfully not a hardware/design issue it seems. Added performance for an OC version should be 100% stable; if not, reduce the performance. Stability is king, let the end user find the limits. Sounds like Asus was too aggressive, but an easy fix is in store.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
OK, I've had a chance to play around with my non-TOP a little more. Using Nvidia Inspector, I bumped up the boost by 97MHz and the memory by 251MHz, power target up 111%. Ran the Heaven benchmark for a few minutes without issue. The card is now boosting up to 1181MHz... I'm suspecting that it will begin to artifact at pretty much the same speeds the TOP cards are having trouble with.

I was also very pleased to discover that the 670 handles dual displays at different resolutions without needing up bump up core or memory clocks. This means I can just leave my two monitors enabled all the time, which wasn't a good idea with any of the previous cards I tried it with (6870, 6950, 560Ti), as they had to run at higher core clock and full memory speed, which meant high power consumption, temps, and fan noise.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011

The top is 10 dollars more then the vanilla. You'd really want that extra 10 dollars back?

realjetavenger

Dec 8, 2008
That is a gigantic out of box boost. If it stays stable, that's a win for you, but just realize that would probably be beyond the max boost of 75% of the cards out there. I can't believe ASUS meant to ship cards like that. It would be like shipping a 7850 at 1200 or a 7970 at 1250.

I was pretty thrilled about it. Granted, I've only run heaven a couple times and have not tried overclocking yet. But so far I am happy with it.

But I can't believe their marketing claim about binning cards. If they really tested cards as they claim, how were they not finding the issues some are reporting? At any rate, the past three pages over at oc.net are people chiming in with their positive results/stability out of the box. People stable out of the box and people getting impressive overclocks greatly outweigh the people who are not stable. We'll see how many more are having problems but even so, the number of people reporting issues so far is way too many.

Great info on your experience.

I agree, a bios release isn't what I'd be looking for with a new card; thankfully not a hardware/design issue it seems. Added performance for an OC version should be 100% stable; if not, reduce the performance. Stability is king, let the end user find the limits. Sounds like Asus was too aggressive, but an easy fix is in store.

Yeah, it sure looks like they were too agressive on their out of the box oc. But, to be fair, we are all the guinea pigs with this boost technology on video cards. In fact, I went back to read the AT review of the 680 and that is pretty much what the article was stating.

By the way, I'd give my heaven results but I don't have any. For some reason, I cannot get results from heaven. This started about a month ago with my now previous card setup. No idea why it's doing this. I removed and then reinstalled heaven 3.0 but that hasn't helped.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
OK, I've had a chance to play around with my non-TOP a little more. Using Nvidia Inspector, I bumped up the boost by 97MHz and the memory by 251MHz, power target up 111%. Ran the Heaven benchmark for a few minutes without issue. The card is now boosting up to 1181MHz... I'm suspecting that it will begin to artifact at pretty much the same speeds the TOP cards are having trouble with.

I was also very pleased to discover that the 670 handles dual displays at different resolutions without needing up bump up core or memory clocks. This means I can just leave my two monitors enabled all the time, which wasn't a good idea with any of the previous cards I tried it with (6870, 6950, 560Ti), as they had to run at higher core clock and full memory speed, which meant high power consumption, temps, and fan noise.

Just FYI, in my experience the 670 will hard lock before it ever gets to artifact. It really is that much on the edge. I've had plenty of time with my card doing overclocking, and not once have I seen an artifact, but I've had a huge number of graphics card shut downs and a few blue screens. Makes finding that perfect overclock a bit unnerving.

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
Just FYI, in my experience the 670 will hard lock before it ever gets to artifact. It really is that much on the edge. I've had plenty of time with my card doing overclocking, and not once have I seen an artifact, but I've had a huge number of graphics card shut downs and a few blue screens. Makes finding that perfect overclock a bit unnerving.

Good to know. I think I'll just leave mine at 1180 for the time being and see how it runs. If it's stable for a couple weeks in everything I throw at it, I might venture toward 1200.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I just bumped my gtx670 offset by 53 and put the power target at 135%(it goes to 145%) and it hits 1242 under load with no issues so far. I will look into overclocking it more this weekend.

Last edited:

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
i dont like topics like this. i spent a good hour lapping the bottom of the heatsink, but have yet to run any tests on it. it would suck if i did all that work and something was wrong with it lol

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
TOPs are supposed to be binned. However, as I have been saying for some time, the "binning" process, at least as described by ASUS, is not that impressive. They essentially clock a bunch of cards to TOP levels, and as long as they don't fail, they become TOP branded cards.

They supposedly do some other crap, but meh.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

Yeah, same here. The strangest thing really. It goes from 100% stable to 100% unstable within a few mhz.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
This is now the *third* factory overclocked card that I've heard issues about over the past few days. It makes me very wary and just reinforces the fact to me that people should just manually overclock themselves. They're obviously not properly testing the cards at these speeds and just assuming that all the chips will run at that speed, which is not true.

I wonder how they are testing these. I get different 'max clocks' based on the configuration of the stress test done. Obviously a smart person would take the lower result from the most strenuous, but that may not be what some of these places are doing if they can get more profit from a higher bin. Either that or the testing is just done poorly.

Trizzay

Jan 23, 2003
Once I figured out that I needed to disable Vsync, I've run through Heaven a few times with no issues and everything maxed out. Max boost I'm hitting is 1306 at stock. The only change I made was to make the fans a little more aggressive.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I wouldn't. That blue PCB kills it for me

Agreed but that's Gigabytes color. Every so often they do a whole slew of blue again, like their Z77 boards while their 68's were mostly black.

It's still best card from all reports and has all mem on same side and uses 680 board - meaning GTX 680 water blocks will fit it and cool everything unlike most other 670s which has mem half and half or even worse the Asus - using non ref PCB.

Anyway - I think they meant 6xx's to match their new motherboards.

Last edited:

jacion

Dec 9, 2004
Just got my TOP in and glad to say there no problems here, but I haven't installed Asus Tweak or anything else yet. Runs at rated 1137 and backs down to 1123 once it hits 70+, and stays at 1123.

At about 33% faster then my old pair of 460's and so much quieter under full load, I'm a pretty happy camper. Plus runs my 3 mismatched monitors so much better, so glad SoftTH is working with this card.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
No coil whine from these ASUS cards, right??

I've just ordered two non-TOP GTX 670's. From my understanding it's the same as the TOP, only not factory overclocked.