Asus 5870 V2 PCB pics & voltage info

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Using RBE, I was able to determine the registers cannot be tweaked. However, default 3D voltage is set to a robust 1.21v, which allowed a quick jump to 930 core on both my cards. I'm happy with this for CF.

Default voltage of 1.21v, registers tweaking not available:
rbe2.jpg

Afterburner voltage tweaking not available:
afterburner.jpg

For those who want to push more volts, looks like you'll be using Asus Smart Doctor.

The fan idles at 22% and is quite noisy at 50%. At 100%, it literally sounds like a hair dryer. The upside, it has a very gradual fan profile which puts fan around 35% @ 60c. If the cooler proves itself, fan shouldn't have to ramp up much higher anyway.

Nice looking card:
IMG_0169.jpg

PCB overall:
IMG_0178-1.jpg

GPU area:
IMG_0180.jpg

PWM area:
IMG_0179-1.jpg

GPU contact:
IMG_0175.jpg

Three very large heatpipes inside:
IMG_0177-1.jpg

High quality rubbery pads with a tacky thermal paste feel are used. Decent GPU interface was used. For most, don't worry about trying to improve on things. Contact was excellent:
IMG_0174-1.jpg

And here they are in my rig:
IMG_0190.jpg

Last edited:

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Oh two corrections to my previous info on this card.. it does not feature direct contact heatpipes, and there are only 3 of them. They are massive though! Cooler looks very decent in any case.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Slick comp.

Can't the voltage be changed with Asus' software?

Yes, Smart Doctor will allow voltage tweaking apparently. I've not tried it yet. Maybe things are improved, I just remember Asus software being a little bloated.

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
I keep hoping they'll make a 5850 version like this one, but probably not going to happen. It sure looks like they did a nice job compared with the thermal grease compared to most attempts I've seen. Even using quite a bit too much thermal grease is much better than any thermal pad imo.

Are there any non-third party GPU heatsinks which have direct contact heatpipes? Or even any third party ones? I've never seen that yet, but I know how well it can work for CPUs.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Yes, Smart Doctor will allow voltage tweaking apparently. I've not tried it yet. Maybe things are improved, I just remember Asus software being a little bloated.

If Smartdoctor will change voltage Afterburner should do it also, just about the only difference between them is MSI's superior interface and custom fan profiles.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
If Smartdoctor will change voltage Afterburner should do it also, just about the only difference between them is MSI's superior interface and custom fan profiles.

Edit: Nope on Afterburner.

I wasn't looking to go much higher than 930 with CF anyway. I'll keep them at 930. Asus Smart Doctor is it for those wanting more.

Last edited:

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
wait wait wait a minute, just looked at the pics again....did they midgitize the 5870 V2 edition? LOL!

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
wait wait wait a minute, just looked at the pics again....did they midgitize the 5870 V2 edition? LOL!

It has a programmable voltage controller, just no dice with Afterburner or RBE at this time. Asus Smart Doctor is it for now.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Just ordered one of these last night should be here next monday I'll post some impression of overclocking potential when it get it installed.

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
would be nice to see more scores on different variations of the 5870 indeed. looking forward to seeing your impressions Vulgar

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Finally got my card, and have started playing around with it in MSi Afterburner. Running the stress tests with a mild overclock right now, and I haven't seen the fan speed go over 32% yet.

Anyways, it's a really well put together card, and the packaging rocked as well. Will have more overclocking impressions when I have more time to play with it.