ASUS $199 Eee PC laptop

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
And to be fair, I think the lowest cost EEE (2G Surf) is $245US in Taiwan. People blow the whole price thing way out of proportion IMO. I'll admit they had me pretty hyped up for it at $200, but deep down I think I knew there was no way this would happen. I definitely wasn't surprised or disappointed when it was released at a higher price than initially reported.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Originally posted by: Parasitic
Testing out something new with mine...if it works then it's going to double as my router at home!

...why?

I'm unplugged. Completely. Went with EV-DO for internet. My regular router doesn't support the USB modem so I had to think creatively.

Although it turned out to be too much pain and I just dropped $150 on an EV-DO router anyways. LOL

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: xSauronx
Testing out something new with mine...if it works then it's going to double as my router at home!

...why?

I'm unplugged. Completely. Went with EV-DO for internet. My regular router doesn't support the USB modem so I had to think creatively.

Although it turned out to be too much pain and I just dropped $150 on an EV-DO router anyways. LOL

wow, how many computers can you comfortably use on that internet connection at a time.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Parasitic, I have EVDO and use an MSI Dual Net card to share internet. I think I got it for about $30, but they're no longer made, and seem to be going for $40-50 now. It comes with software that allows you to run as a software access point in Windows XP, and I use ICS to tie my EVDO modem to this software AP.

Probably depends on where you live, but my EVDO is pretty kick ass. Typical speeds are between 1-1.2Mbps, but on good days I can see over 1.5Mbps. Yesterday I was downloading from Megaupload at about 225KBps (1.8Mbps). Not bad for $25/mo. :)

Of course, this is from a second-story floor, and I am not too far (3-5 mi I believe) from the tower. Also, latency is high (about 300ms average), that's just an inherent flaw of EVDO rev.0 unfortunately. Makes it useless for low-latency stuff (gaming, VoIP, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.