Astrophoto - Telescope - SynScan

marcUK2

Sep 23, 2019
Have a question about syscan goto

I was thinking of buying a star tracker, such as something like this

But I have also thought of buying a telescope with Syscan Goto.

I have used syncan one time many years ago briefly, - I remember you have to calibrate it by point at stars and such, but I am wondering if I can buy a telescope with the sysncan feature instead of a dedicated startracker, and use it to track the stars by mounting my camera to it, either directly to the telescope - (using a T-adapter?) -, or find another way of mounting the camera to the synscan

Has anyone any experience of this in these forums, or shoulf I register on a dedicated astro forum?

Dec 10, 2005
You might be better off registering at CloudyNights, or checking out r/telescope or r/astrophotography.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You might be better off registering at CloudyNights, or checking out r/telescope or r/astrophotography.

Totally agree with that. After weeks of gathering advice from those very helpful and very knowledgable members of that forum I arrived at exactly what equip't and software I wanted/needed to get a good start at viewing as well as imaging objects in space at a price that fit my budget.

My only problem now is that due to the covid pandemic, most of what I wanted to acquire is on backorder since November of last year. I've already poured two concrete pads in my back yard from which to mount the scopes on and there's nothing I can do except put a tripod on them and take pics of the moon.

Dec 10, 2005
Totally agree with that. After weeks of gathering advice from those very helpful and very knowledgable members of that forum I arrived at exactly what equip't and software I wanted/needed to get a good start at viewing as well as imaging objects in space at a price that fit my budget.

My only problem now is that due to the covid pandemic, most of what I wanted to acquire is on backorder since November of last year. I've already poured two concrete pads in my back yard from which to mount the scopes on and there's nothing I can do except put a tripod on them and take pics of the moon.
That still sounds awesome. Good luck!

I actually picked up a small dob in January for visual astronomy - an Orion XT4.5 off their clearance page. If I didn't snag the available one then, it would have been at least a 4 month wait for a new one.

Would have liked to get something larger, but logistics of living in a 2nd floor walkup and some tiny yards to work out of made it seem more reasonable to start a little on the smaller side. Still have seem some cool stuff with it - Orion nebula, M35 star cluster, the Pleiades...

Reactions: tweaker2