Astronomy Buffs -- What's that very bright star in the lower Eastern sky?

Oct 30, 2004

Calling all astronomy buffs. On this morning and on Saturday morning I saw an unusually large and bright star in the lower Eastern sky around 5:30-6:00 am Eastern time. What the heck is it?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well, if it was a star it was the sun ;) Otherwise, it was definitely Venus (I checked the sky charts). There aren't likely any stars visible along the eastern horizon at that time unless it's darker than I'm thinking.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: FlashG
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
What's the star that you see when you follow Orion's belt? Its somewhat red?
i'm guessing it's Betelgeuse

Possibly, but most people wouldn't immediately recognize Betelgeuse as being red. The more prominent object would likely be M42, Orion's Nebula. M42 is about a 4 magnitude object whereas Betelgeuse is ~1. It's an easy object to find with low-power binoculars in the winter sky, but it looks amazing with a large aperture telescope since the nebulosity really presents itself well.

Just found this picture showing M42's relation to the belt.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Nohr
I'd guess Venus.

My first guess as well.

Doesn't twinkle = it's not a star, it's a planet.

I have never understood this... Twinkling is caused by atmospheric distortions, thus any light that passes through the atmosphere would be subjected to it, whether it be a "star" or a "planet." Is it just because planets are so much closer and therefore bigger that the twinkling effect is less noticeable? Because I've never been able to discern any difference between starts that I know are stars and "stars" that I know are planets except size and brightness... It looks like everything twinkles to me.