Astronauts To Toss Jedi Lightsaber Into Space

Oct 25, 2006
While I appreciate the symbolic value. That thing is like a little missile out there. If they just release it into orbit, it'll be up there for a while, and either burn up in reentry/ hit something a.k.a piloted space ship.

If they fire it out into space, it'll be preserved in time forever until it hits something/gets destroyed, and so be totally forgotten.

I think they should fire it at an intercept course with the Voyager probe. :p

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Yeah! Lets take a priceless collectors piece and instead of auctioning it for charity lets shoot it into space like a piece of garbage where it can join the tons of other garbage in the huge orbital pinball game in the sky!

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: kgokal
What a great use of our tax money!

Its a far better use of our tax dollars than giving handouts to lazy unemployed welfare bums.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
they are throwing it, but are they going to try and use the force to bring it back? That is the real question :laugh:

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: antyler
thats tight

Actually, I suspect the security will be rather tight, but I doubt that there will be much else that is "tight" about a hunk of metal floating about in orbit.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Cogman
they are throwing it, but are they going to try and use the force to bring it back? That is the real question :laugh:

They fully intend to use the force to bring it back to earth - the force of gravity.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I rather see my tax money going on to this stuff than have it being handled out to lazy ass people......

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: IAteYourMother
Originally posted by: LoKe

They're already going up there. :confused:

it costs alot of money even to send up a fraction of a pound into space.

Lighten up bud. The government wastes trillions of dollars a year. This won't cost even a fraction of that. If it gets some nerds interested in NASA again then its money spent better than the majority of stuff they waste our money on.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
It will incinerate on reentry before too long. I'm guessing something that small won't even make it anywhere close to the surface. The concern would be if it hits some sort of important satellite. However, I'm sure the NASA planners thought of that and are releasing it where such an occurrence would be unlikely.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
They tossed something out of the ISS a few weeks ago that was about the size of a refridgerator & that's supposed to burn up in re-entry sometime next year, so i doubt this will be a hazard.

Does seems rather pointless though.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: Cogman

They fully intend to use the force to bring it back to earth - the force of gravity.

Gravity is just a theory, it doesn't mean that it's real :roll:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: CadetLee

As if that's the only reason they're going up there..?

It's as good as any reason though. In fact, it's less wasteful than the rest of their mission, delivering another component to the international space station. What a tremendous waste of time, money, effort, and resources that is. There's no reason for manned space flight, other than "hey! Look at us!"

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

2nd.

Imagine how much booze you could buy bums here on Earth with that money! You could buy a crackhead enough crack to send him straight to the Moon.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: ryan256
Yeah! Lets take a priceless collectors piece and instead of auctioning it for charity lets shoot it into space like a piece of garbage where it can join the tons of other garbage in the huge orbital pinball game in the sky!

One man's light saber is another man's piece of worthless junk.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
I just got off the phone with George Lucas. He has a undisclosed agenda regarding the space race for private people.