Assassins Creed --This is something special!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
OK...

Am I allowed to claim damages off Jeeebus?

After watching that video.... it left me thinking "Looks awesome!! Wonder how it will look on my 42" HDTV and HD4870". Now I am glaring at my plastic, forcing my hand away from buying AC just for eye candy.

I have a feeling I am going to give in soon though.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, it looks awesome, but just like the others I got bored about 2-4 hours in. If they hadn't dumbed down the climbing controls from PoP I think it would have been more fun.

Then again, I'm not a huge RPG fan, I like about 1 out of every 4 that I try. And since I don't pirate, it gets pretty expensive lol...I thought Mass Effect was good, kind of like a "we've got 3rd person shooter elements, but seriously, we're an RPG" thing.

-z

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Yep, at the start, the fluid climbing seems kinda cool. Heck, you can barely fall off, unlike PoP. Then pretty soon, it gets lame. You merely need to hold down 'w' to climb anything. As much as PoP's wall jumping was a PITA, I now find that I miss it. In fact, I think the only cool climb was to the top of the cathedral in the rich district of Acre. Every other view point was rather generic and boring.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The problem with the PC/PS3 versions is that collecting flags, tasks, etc are pretty much for nothing. On the 360 version you get achievements. Otherwise it's just pointless and boring.

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Well, flags aren't too bad. They are a way to save your progress pretty much whenever you want.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
does anyone else get frequent 1-2 second freezes when going ot kill a guard or assassinating someone?

also i get some huge FPS drops from 60+ down to ~30 then up again. mainly when i am in roof tops or over looking down into the city from a high building.

my system is a q6600 at 3 ghz and 4gb ram 64 bit and a gtx 260 with 9600gt as Physx card.

i got the game patch 1.02 that supports x64 systems but it still does the preiodic freezing. i dont know if it helps or not but i dont run the game with the dvd in place, i use a NO-CD cracked exe but i bought the legit game.

Adam8281

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I installed today on a vista x64 system with the 1.02 patch, and I too was getting 1-2 second freezes when killing a guard or assassinating. FWIW, I dropped the multisampling down to 2/3 and the problem has stopped.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
this game was fun for the first hour or two seeing how beautiful it was visually; however, the fights got very repetitive after a while
and the whole repetitive questing of eavesdrop, find, kill, etc. got boring very quickly

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
does anyone get the random FPS drops like i am? i dont think it can be my system at all. but im getting like 60fps, then suddenly i go out into the open streets or on top of a building and im down to 30-40 all the time. WTF :Q i have everything set to maxc. but i cannot use Multisampling for some reason.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Originally posted by: roid450
does anyone get the random FPS drops like i am? i dont think it can be my system at all. but im getting like 60fps, then suddenly i go out into the open streets or on top of a building and im down to 30-40 all the time. WTF :Q i have everything set to maxc. but i cannot use Multisampling for some reason.

Might have to do with the draw distance when you are on a rooftop. When your in the city streets, you only have to draw a few feet in front of you, but on the rooftops, it's a lot longer than that.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
thats whati thought initially but i do not get the same problem in other games.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Beev
Yeah get a little farther so you can see how repetitive it is. Non-linear my ass.

QFT. Somebody find that youtube video of the billion click quit the game process...

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Quoting myself from a few months ago:

This game is a real mixed bag, the sort of game I love and hate in equal measure. It has many excellent gameplay ideas and a fairly unique story. I love the open ended maps and large crowds everywhere, which really make the environments come alive. On the other hand, the combat and side quests (viewpoints, saving citizens, etc.) get repetitive very quickly and the AI behavior often makes no sense. The guards frequently don't notice anything you do if you're more than 10 feet away from them but get pissed off for no reason if you get near them. There are also numerous interface design decisions that are utterly idiotic, like the fixed 16:9 aspect ratio, lack of anytime save games, disabled AA at 1600x1200 or above and the infamous 11 commands needed to exit the game.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Hell, even Yahtzee gave it a fairly positive review despite the repetition.