Assassin's Creed: Should I play them all? Or skip around?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
And I'm not saying that the game was perfect, or even better than AC2 on the whole, but there were regressions in AC2 regardless of what any 'professional' reviewers think. Since when have the knuckle walkers that call themselves 'professional' reviewers been sharp enough to pick up on things like mouse acceleration?
It's all a matter of opinion, but I disagree with points 3, 4, and 5 that you make regarding AC1 over AC2.

artemicion

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2004
If I thought Brotherhood was a so-so game, is it safe to assume I wouldn't like any of the other Assassin's Creed games? I'm not trying to troll, just trying to decide whether I should try to flip the Black Flag/Unity codes bundled with my XB1 on Craigslist or if I should redeem them and give the games a shot.

I played through Brotherhood's story and thought it was okay. I bought Revelations on a Steam sale but only played for a couple hours and didn't get hooked. I also had Black Flag very briefly, but didn't give it much of a chance (I just played until the boat got to some big town, maybe an hour in) because someone on Craigslist offered to trade for it for a game I wanted more.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I don't know why people act like the first Assassin's Creed is somehow obsolete. It has:

1) A completely different story.
2) A completely different setting.
3) Altaïr the badass (vs Ezio is the ponce).
4) Better story if you pay attention to it. AC2's story was a contrived cliché-fest focused too much on that muppet Ezio. AC1's story was driven by more subtle sub plots.
5) The best combat of the first 4 games. After the first game, the combat got too smooth and flashy. Although they carried over most of the mocap from the first game, the new moves they added were too fanciful. As I've said many times, despite having less variety, AC1 combat was raw and visceral and puts the rest of the games to shame.
6) Half decent mouse input. I've only tried the first four games, but aside from AC1, they all have appalling mouse acceleration. AC1 still has pixel skipping, but at least it's playable.
Totally agree.

I've played a fair bunch of them, and what I can say is if you want to play them for the plot, watch a let's play on youtube. Specially if you have two screens and are able to work while watching, it's good fun. Otherwise, play Brotherhood and AC3. Black Flag was terrible, in my opinion, but mostly because it failed to engage me.

AC games are meant to be played a few hours at a time, I find. The repetitive gameplay really gets old for people with better things to do or for people who don't find it fun gameplay.

As for the plot, watch any of the well rated American TV series instead. You'll be better off. Random suggestion? Breaking Bad.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Black Flag was fantastic (including the DLC). I'd play that first.