Assassin's Creed for PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Personally, I like the keyboard controls in this game. While I haven't played this particular game on 360, I believe a mouse makes for much more precise movements while running over roof tops and more control over the camera while fighting. At first it did feel weird because it was different from your normal fps, but once you got it all figured out, it's quite intuitive. Using mouse 4 instead of shift also helps.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Penny Arcade posted pretty good review of this game that showed it in a very positive light, it was a good counterpoint to many of the other reviews on the web.

Nat

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: blckgrffn
Penny Arcade posted pretty good review of this game that showed it in a very positive light, it was a good counterpoint to many of the other reviews on the web.

Nat

Penny-Arcade :heart:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
yes, it does get a bit reperirive but i still think its pretty fun.
one annoying thing is when you save civilians, you have to listen to them and they all say the same 1 or 2 sayings. you can't skip it.
it also screws up the camera for a few seconds right after you get control of your character back.

i love the fight sequences though. some of the moves are so awesome and its liek every battle i see a new move!

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
yes, it does get a bit reperirive but i still think its pretty fun.
one annoying thing is when you save civilians, you have to listen to them and they all say the same 1 or 2 sayings. you can't skip it.
it also screws up the camera for a few seconds right after you get control of your character back.

i love the fight sequences though. some of the moves are so awesome and its liek every battle i see a new move!

Yeah after you save the civies the camera focuses on the vigilantes you unlock. The missions are kinda bleh, but I'm having a great time going through town killing random people. Actually the missions are kind of cool. The one where you kill the masochistic priest has been my favorite so far. After killing him, the music was just crazy and I killed every single one of the other clerics/priests that were in that church. Actually, stalking them through the screaming crowds was probably one of my favorite gaming moments ever.

ochadd

May 27, 2004
The last game that impressed me this much was Half-life 2 or maybe KotoR. Crysis was pretty but seems so shallow next to Assassins Creed.

After finishing the game I decided to play some COD 4. Now I notice every building and how easy it would be to disbatch a camper by scaling the wall and tossing them from the rooftop. Can't wait for the sequel.

The gameplay was perfect on my system. Did not have a single instance where framerates stuttered. It did crash me back to the desktop several times. There were no errors at all; just like hitting alt-F4. I would fire it back up and sometimes it would run for 3-4 hours and other times it lasted 30 min. My temps were fine and this is a DVD version from Gamestop.

Can't wait for the sequel. Anyone else as impressed as I was?

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
I wasn't lol. After an hour or so, it was the same old stuff. Had there been a lot more variety to the side missions, I'd say the game would've been a lot better. Sadly, the only interesting bits are the actual assassination missions.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Assassin's Creed basically embodies the main differences I've come to expect from PC vs. Console games. High degree of polish and production value at the expense of content, depth and replay value. AC exceeded my expectations in how well it was ported to the PC and the stunning visuals. Game looks absolutely fabulous and runs flawlessly as well. Silky smooth without any major drops in FPS or HDD thrashing I'd expect in a PC game with similar visuals.

Some examples of PC vs Console trade-off is with combat. Instead of flailing around with buggy hit boxes and clipping problems you might see on the PC, many of the combos and counters are "scripted" or "canned". As you get better you'll be able to trigger them more often. While you don't have much actual control over the combos, the effect is visually stunning and a lot of fun. Now compare this to something like The Witcher, where combat was also visually stunning, just not nearly as fun.

Another example is the fully interactable 3D world and environments. Yes, its obvious that climbing and such relies on certain objects and triggers, but it results in a seamless and intuitive experience that sees you scaling massive walls and towers and jumping around rooftops at break-neck speeds. Now compare that with something like The Witcher, where you can't even scale a 2ft high hedgerow.......

So yes, overall I really enjoyed AC for what it is, but I'm especially pleased with how well it ported to PC. Certainly a good sign and shining example for future console to PC ports.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
You guys almost make me want to put the disc in my PS3 and finish it, or get it for my PC, but then I come to my senses.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I guess you guys enjoy watching stupid npc's wax mysterious over bullshit while you sit there unable to do jack.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Maleficus
I guess you guys enjoy watching stupid npc's wax mysterious over bullshit while you sit there unable to do jack.

Yes its a nice change of pace from voiceless multiple choice NPCs while running around dodging invisible walls and broken scripts etc.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Originally posted by: Craig234
Since price came up, saying the cheapest is $50-$55, here it is for $35:

Link

Import and it's not the Director's Cut edition.

Don't think import (from England) changes anything, and didn't say it was Director's Cut.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Dimmu
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
Has anyone heard of a demo yet for the PC?

Last I heard there is not going to be one. :(

That's a shame. I really would prefer to try the demo before I buy this game, unless I can find it very cheap.

I saw a lot of people raving about The Witcher, but I tried the demo and hated it, which is why I like to try demos as often as I can before laying my cash down.

KT

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Played and beat it for the 360 when it came out, very fun game looking forward to the sequel.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

That's a shame. I really would prefer to try the demo before I buy this game, unless I can find it very cheap.

I saw a lot of people raving about The Witcher, but I tried the demo and hated it, which is why I like to try demos as often as I can before laying my cash down.

KT

IRC, the Witcher demo only included the first Act, which was by far the worst one. The full game really is worth every penny, and it's sad that this aRPG beats out every other recent "RPG" on the market (possible exception being MotB).

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: SLU Aequitas

KT

IRC, the Witcher demo only included the first Act, which was by far the worst one. The full game really is worth every penny, and it's sad that this aRPG beats out every other recent "RPG" on the market (possible exception being MotB).

So true. A lot of my friends were raving about The Witcher, so I tried the demo and thought it was mediocre at best. I was then told that the demo only included the first act, which was far and away the worst one (poor choice for a demo), so I took the dive and bought the game. I'm glad I did as I had an absolute blast with it. Demo's have to be taken with a grain of proverbial salt.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

So true. A lot of my friends were raving about The Witcher, so I tried the demo and thought it was mediocre at best. I was then told that the demo only included the first act, which was far and away the worst one (poor choice for a demo), so I took the dive and bought the game. I'm glad I did as I had an absolute blast with it. Demo's have to be taken with a grain of proverbial salt.

My biggest problem was with the combat mechanics. If those do not change later on in the game, then I don't think it will make a difference to me, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it.

KT

Dimmu

Jun 24, 2005

KT

My biggest problem was with the combat mechanics. If those do not change later on in the game, then I don't think it will make a difference to me, which is a shame because I really wanted to like it.

KT

There are some additions to combat, but no major alterations on what you would have seen/have problems with. I'll admit at first I thought the combat system was boring as well, but for whatever reason I moved past that and found the game to be very enjoyable. Now, I'm not trying to say everyone will change their opinion in a similar manner to mine, but it's possible. If the combat system REALLY turns you off, as it only bothered me mildly, then it's probably best to not buy the game.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Does anyone know about a fix for the video driver corruption issue people are having? Just wondering.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
The import version is going for around $33 @ gogamer.com (during their weekly 48 hr madness sale), for those of you who are looking to pick it up for cheap. I saw this posted in the hot deals forum and jumped on it.