Question Asrock x570 phantom gaming bios struggles.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Not the first time I've seen a legacy board not take the bios on the first try. AMD makes things difficult sometimes when it comes to a legacy upgrade path.

I use a PG x670e and it took three different versions to find one that didn't hang on a reboot. Works flawlessly now that it found a version it likes.

Feb 11, 2024
Not the first time I've seen a legacy board not take the bios on the first try. AMD makes things difficult sometimes when it comes to a legacy upgrade path.

I use a PG x670e and it took three different versions to find one that didn't hang on a reboot. Works flawlessly now that it found a version it likes.
Nope did the special process and still same two lights vga and boot. Ram and cpu not lit. One stick ram in slot a. Works fine with 2700x nothing else works and just finished flashing to 5.6 again with the special tool like the process said. Damnm could be two dead cpus I have but not likely. Guess this board will stay 2700x :(

Guess I can try and flash 3.0 bios switch to the 3600x and flash avain to 5.6? Going crazy to do slight upgrade

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
You have to use a 3000 series CPU to perform the normal upgrade. You will need to go back to a version prior to 2.8 before the workaround works. But read through this thread, just got another member here fixed up with the same problem.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@In2Photos reminds me that also the latest version won't work typically without incrementally moving up in versions. I recall someone else doing it to a middle version and then upgrading from there.

Feb 11, 2024
@In2Photos reminds me that also the latest version won't work typically without incrementally moving up in versions. I recall someone else doing it to a middle version and then upgrading from there.
Well tried flashing back to 3.0 and now no cpu posts ;) I guess I solved this problem and killed the motherboard. Tried 3600x stuck on gpu/ boot lights. Tried back 2700x and ram and cpu light on. No post. No bios reset working:/

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
How did you reset BIOS, jumping the pins? Try removing the CMOS battery for like 30 minutes, just in case.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If removing the battery is going to work, it will only need removed for a few seconds... give it a minute if you're super conservative.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think your board is bricked. According to the ASRock page you need a Matisse CPU (3xxx series) for any BIOS version 3.0 or newer. You just need to install a BIOS prior to that. Notice the bright yellow text in the description field.

View attachment 95419

In case you don't see this post in the other thread or someone else comes here looking for help.

EDIT: As mentioned in the other thread the board no longer posts and there is no BIOS flashback option.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024
Not sure if this is funny or dumb. The 3600x didn't boot in the 3.0 bios asrock (that I flashed) because it is a 5600x ^_o (that's what I get for not even cleaning the paste off and looking at it.) today booted the tomahawk b550 that came (again for 78$ but this time with no box :( ) booted up (was suppose to install windows but I guess the secondary m2 had a windows 10 install from a intel nuc and it booted and working good. Had two sets of ram cl18 3600 vs 3200 cl16. I don't do much fancy things so I picked the c16. Planning on running eco mode till I have a output of 120fps.

So that's good news have a 5600x bad news I accidently bought a b550 of course I had no way of flashing the bios of the asrock so it's OK./end of rant

Feb 11, 2024
Nope. Everything happens for a reason.
Well not exactly. I think amd used to lend people cpus to flash or I could wait and rma the board. Now i have a board that needs 3 series cpu and a 2 series cpu that needs a new home (i do seem to have endless 32gb ddr4 sets tho. Found two more).

Doing some testing but seems the 6800xt with 5700x idles with less power than a 6700rx and 5600x. Strange since the 6700rx says 9watt idle and 6800xt says 20

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
needs a new home
Sounds like it's time to declutter so you don't confuse yourself more and end up buying more parts w/o wiping the paste to see which series you're trying to boot from. We tend to hoard prior hardware for some reason instead of letting it go when it's been upgraded to something new. Maybe it's the backup option in the back of our mind saying hold onto it just in case and then get complacent about getting rid of it after the new system is burned in sufficiently.

Feb 11, 2024
Sounds like it's time to declutter so you don't confuse yourself more and end up buying more parts w/o wiping the paste to see which series you're trying to boot from. We tend to hoard prior hardware for some reason instead of letting it go when it's been upgraded to something new. Maybe it's the backup option in the back of our mind saying hold onto it just in case and then get complacent about getting rid of it after the new system is burned in sufficiently.
Thanks for your opinion. What would be nice is a motherboard that can flash with out a cpu. I thought the whole thing is funny nothing was mission critical as it was for a child who already has 5 different gaming devices. I will make a fs thread if that would please you.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Thanks for your opinion. What would be nice is a motherboard that can flash with out a cpu. I thought the whole thing is funny nothing was mission critical as it was for a child who already has 5 different gaming devices. I will make a fs thread if that would please you.
Almost all budget boards do not have BIOS Flashback or CPU-less BIOS Flashing.

I have this exact board with a 5900X in it (formerly a 3600X) but I flashed the 5000 Series BIOS before doing the swap. Can you not find a cheap 3000 series CPU on Craigslist or Ebay?

Feb 11, 2024
Almost all budget boards do not have BIOS Flashback or CPU-less BIOS Flashing.

I have this exact board with a 5900X in it (formerly a 3600X) but I flashed the 5000 Series BIOS before doing the swap. Can you not find a cheap 3000 series CPU on Craigslist or Ebay?
Well I found the 3600x I thought I had. Turns out my son had a untested free 5600x and had put it ontop of where I thought the 3600x is :) so.. well now I get to see if it works and then leave it how it is to use with 3600x give away box.

Last edited: