Solved! Asrock H81M-VG4/Asus H81M-CS.Is it Mini-ITX or Micro-ATX?

boom_shiva

Dec 21, 2018
Asrock H81M-VG4/Asus H81M-CS.Is it Mini-ITX or Micro-ATX?

Both Asus and Asrock's offical product page says that these mobos are micro-atx. But their size (Asrocks: 7.5-in x 6.7-in, 19.1 cm x 17.0 cm, ASUS: 7.5 inch x 7.0 inch 19 cm x 17.7 cm) says otherwise.
I was planning to buy a cabinate that can fir AsRock H81-VG4 board, and prefer it to be as small as possible.

Should i go with Mini-ITX case or go with Micro-ATX case as per the info on official page?

Solution
not quite.

the Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, R3.0 and R4.0 are mITX boards.

only the Asrock H81M-VG4 R1.0 is mATX.
Wrong.
R2.0
R3.0
R4.0
All are micro ATX boards.

To the @OP: cases are generally downwads compatible in terms of mb size, so a case designed for regular ATX will fit mATX and ITX as well, but not the other way around. However, some ITX cases are designed to fit large graphics cards, so they might be able to fit slightly larger than ITX boards. The Coolermaster NR200, for example, can fit triple-slot GPUS, so it "should" be able to fit either one of those motherboards. However, while that is a pretty small case for what it can fit, it isn't exactly small. Most small ITX cases are designed for the...

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
not quite.

the Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0, R3.0 and R4.0 are mITX boards.

only the Asrock H81M-VG4 R1.0 is mATX.
Wrong.
R2.0
R3.0
R4.0

To the @OP: cases are generally downwads compatible in terms of mb size, so a case designed for regular ATX will fit mATX and ITX as well, but not the other way around. However, some ITX cases are designed to fit large graphics cards, so they might be able to fit slightly larger than ITX boards. The Coolermaster NR200, for example, can fit triple-slot GPUS, so it "should" be able to fit either one of those motherboards. However, while that is a pretty small case for what it can fit, it isn't exactly small. Most small ITX cases are designed for the ITX standard of 17x17cm.

So it is safer to go with a mATX case. Otherwise, if you want to try to fit those boards into an ITX case, you will have to carefully evaluate each one on a literal case by case basis. Alternatively, choose an ITX motherboard.

Solution

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Wrong.
R2.0
R3.0
R4.0

To the @OP: cases are generally downwads compatible in terms of mb size, so a case designed for regular ATX will fit mATX and ITX as well, but not the other way around. However, some ITX cases are designed to fit large graphics cards, so they might be able to fit slightly larger than ITX boards. The Coolermaster NR200, for example, can fit triple-slot GPUS, so it "should" be able to fit either one of those motherboards. However, while that is a pretty small case for what it can fit, it isn't exactly small. Most small ITX cases are designed for the ITX standard of 17x17cm.

So it is safer to go with a mATX case. Otherwise, if you want to try to fit those boards into an ITX case, you will have to carefully evaluate each one on a literal case by case basis. Alternatively, choose an ITX motherboard.
R2.0

1638400517993.png

Hmmm.....

I wish Asrock wouldn't do this. I have an H110M-HDS and they call it a mATX board but it is smaller and fits my mITX case.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
As I said, many ITX cases are designed to work with dual-slot, or even triple-slot GPUs, so they should be able to fit boards slightly larger than ITX. My H200i case, for example, should be able to fit that board. However, because it has a pcie x1 slot in position #1 and the x16 slot in position #2, I would only be able to use a single-slot GPU with that board in my case. If they had switched the slots around, then it would work in more ITX cases. But not all of them. Since it doesn't work in all ITX cases, they can't call it ITX, so it is mATX, even if it is smaller than the standard mATX size.

Reactions: Iron Woode