Asrock Extreme 4 best z77 board?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Shephard, Nov 10, 2012.

1. OVerLoRDI

OVerLoRDI Diamond Member

It is one of the best motherboards for the money IMO.

I just wish it was full ATX size, I don't like this trend of motherboards not being full ATX size.

2. charlietee

charlietee Golden Member

Why wait ??? You can get the AsRock for 105 shipped from NewEgg and MicroCenter has the core i7 3770k for 229.

3. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

I am in Canada no such thing as a MicroCenter here.

also Newegg.com and Newegg.ca have very different prices. US residents are lucky when it comes to computers!

4. UaVaj

UaVaj Golden Member

:thumbsup:

AsRock just arrive today from NewEgg. i7 on it way. My brother had to local pickup in his town n send to me. no MicroCenter in my town.

5. Rhezuss

Rhezuss Diamond Member

Got this same combo last week: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 that came with a 70CAD newegg gift card (yeah me!). So when I received the card number yesterday I ordered an i7 3770K!

This upgrade is the biggest I did since a long time.

6. Shephard

Shephard Senior member

do you guys have anything to say about MSI mobos?

7. 2is

2is Diamond Member

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but I'd suggest a new source of knowledge. Newegg reviews are at 4/5 eggs, and I've delt with RMA's for multiple vendors, ASUS is nowhere near the worst. They're quite good actually.

#32 2is, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  8. amerifax

amerifax Member

Ok I read it all. The good the bad the ugly. I agree with most. Good & Bad. But as one said my foot is in the Asus camp. So I guess it's going to be a Premium decision tomorrow. My only problem is what memory.

Bob

9. x26

x26 Senior member

Dear Shephard:

All MB manufacturers Suck Dirty Filthy Scum when it comes to support and RMA's--

Do what I do:

If board is not Perfect(within Reason) send it back to retailer for FULL REFUND!!

I would go through Daily Colonoscopies before I would RMA almost anything--Esp MB's.

However, lol: I did RMA my Seasonic 750 gold for a new one--As much as I paid for that I would have Driven to Seasonic HQ and thrown it through the Window!!

ETA: Get the ASUS!!! :)

#34 x26, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  10. dawp

dawp Diamond Member

I bought 2 of these boards last week and the install for both went flawlessly.

as far as not being full ATX, this has been the case for years for budget boards. I have an old DFI either socket a or 939(don't remember which) that is about the same size as this one.

11. bgt

bgt Senior member

Very happy with my Z77 board. Very robust. Have had too many problems with Asus which they did not want to cure.

12. Tsavo

Tsavo Platinum Member

Run away from them.

Run like hell.

13. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

The AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 boards are great boards for the money. But like other have said not being Full ATX kind of sucks. In a case like mine you would see the CPU cutout with the board installed. Other than the ugly gold caps and brown PCB everything else is great.

14. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

I don't mind the gold capacitors, if they were really "gold" I would, but they are more brass.

Brown PCB definitely sucks with direct/enough light though, no idea who dreamt that up..."we have the choice of about 18 colors, which should we use?" - "s**t brown"

15. Face2Face

Face2Face Diamond Member

HaHa :) I will say I was very impressed with my older AsRock board.

16. pauldun170

pauldun170 Diamond Member

"Board is flimsy"
    Sure its bendy and the the fact that its not supported along the leading edge stinks but how often am I going to be reinstalling the thing? Maybe I should out a sign inside the case to tell mice that the leading edge of the motherboard is not a spring board.

"Fan controls on Asus board are so much better"
    I have been happy with the Asrock control, they offer enough granularity where I need it. My case is cool and quiet and fans ramp up when temp thresholds are met. I don't care if Asus controls are better because the Asrock controls work fine for me.

So far my complaints have been on the connectors (tight out of the box due to overflash of plastic and the occasional....
    I can't think of anything else.

There are better boards (I guess) out there.

Maybe I need to be doing more with the board?

17. sobe88

sobe88 Member

Simply put, for the price, the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 is a damn great board. Overclocking glory on the cheap, what more can you ask for, outside of a shiny ASUS, Gigabyte, etc, badge on it :O

18. ronss

ronss Member

i sort of lean toward asus boards, but would not hesistate on a gigabyte board too...these are the first 2 manufacturers i would check out, not saying others are bad, not an expert...i am too looking for a z77 board maybe, and there are so many...gigabyte has some 20 z77 boards, way too many...biostar is also a board i look at too, though its gets a lot of bad publicity..i like the biostar hi-fi z77 board they have..biostar has improved over the years, sort of get a lot for the money.....also, had a asrock board .,z 68, and was not that thrilled about it.....just me i quess...though seems many are happy with asrock. msi, for some reason i just don,t pull the trigger on one, maybe one msi board since i started my computers age in 2000...and that was during the pentium 3 days...so far, i sort of like these boards, but my wallet will decide-

BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z77X 5.x
    ASUS Z77 sabertooth
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H

SOME OTHERS I AM GOING TO LOOK AT LATER

#43 ronss, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  19. CurrentlyPissed

CurrentlyPissed Senior member

I have the ASRock Z77 Pro Fatal1ty, it's probably the best board I've bought to date. Easy overclocking. A ton of features.

When I had my 2500k on a MSI P67-GD65 [H] best overclocking rated board of the time. I was able to take it from 4.8 on that board, to 5.0 on the new board. My current 3770k runs 5.1@1.4

#44 CurrentlyPissed, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  20. piasabird

piasabird Lifer

I just think Asus is overpriced.

21. CurrentlyPissed

CurrentlyPissed Senior member

Their RMA service is god aweful as well. I hope I never have to use it again.

22. fschris

fschris Member

what is the main difference with the Extreme 4 and the extreme 6 other than 30 dollars? I am looking to upgrade from a x58 EVGA MB....

23. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

A Display Port
    An extra x16 PCI-E 2.0
    A Mini-PCI-E slot
    Floppy Connector
    1394 Header
    SLI/XFire connector
    2 extra SATA cables
    a front USB3 panel
    a rear USB3 bracket
    some extra screws
    probably some stickers

24. Smoblikat

Smoblikat Diamond Member

I have the board and so far its great. Its a great board, and if you look at it relative to the price/specs of other boards it is simply iin a league of its own. Its predecessor, ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen 3 was the same way.

25. fschris

fschris Member

so there is no performance differences? what is a rear usb3 bracket! i like the extreme 4 because of where the the PCIe port is because I use a sound card with an upgraded opamp. the extreme 6 pcie slot would get in the way of the video card.