Question Asrock A520M-HDV + Athlons, yeah, no.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I wonder what they did to accomplish this, this is the first time i see an A520 dosent work with a Athlon cpu, 3000G, 300G, 200GE, etc. I tried with all brands, gigabyte, asus, biostar, msi, they all work, except that they dont say that on the cpu support list.

But this specific combination acts like the chipset is disconnected from the pci-e bus, and it is likely thats exactly what is going on. I tried to ask them but they just say the cpu is not on the cpu support list. It does boot up, but ethernet dosent work, the usb 2.0 dosent work, the pcie slots dosent work, except for the main one, the sata dosent work either.

Ill put this here that may help other people not to buy this combo.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014

Looks like the oldest chip supported is a 3100. Good reminder to always check the CPU supported list.

And yea, I have no idea why Asrock removed the Zen+ Athlons but there you go...

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Looks like the oldest chip supported is a 3100. Good reminder to always check the CPU supported list.

And yea, I have no idea why Asrock removed the Zen+ Athlons but there you go...
It was AMD mandated shenanigans but not everyone respected them because it was never enforced via Agesa.

The idea was that A520 and B550 to support only Matisse/Renoir and up, so everything that was Zen 1/Zen1+ based was not requiered to be supported, AMD finally recognised it was all a lie and dropped these artificial limitations due to public pressure and since agesa 1.2.0.7 there are no more limits.

This board seems to respect that 3200G/3400G should not boot up (200GE/3000G does), but since bios 2.20 (the 1.2.0.7 one) the 3200G/3400G works and work whiout issue. It is kinda funny because you need to put a 5600G and update to the newerest bios in order to use a 3200G here.

But as i said, almost no once enforced these limitations and they still supported those APUs even trought ot was not listed on the cpu support list, but that was back them, right now there should be no more limits.

but ill have to say here that the 3000G (and 200GE) do boot with any bios here, it is just seems that the chipset is wired in a very wrong way, but i just have no idea of how this is even possible, because the Athlons do have less PCI-E lanes than a 3200G, but it should still have 2 lanes for the chipset (instead of 4)

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
but ill have to say here that the 3000G (and 200GE) do boot with any bios here, it is just seems that the chipset is wired in a very wrong way, but i just have no idea of how this is even possible, because the Athlons do have less PCI-E lanes than a 3200G, but it should still have 2 lanes for the chipset (instead of 4)
It does sound like a PCIe configuration error. Maybe something is hardwired in a certain way on that particular board model that expects a PCIe x4 connection?

The AM4 Athlons do have an odd PCIe layout, everything else on AM4 has a x4 connection to the PCH.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Asrock 's HDV line seems to be bottom barrel get-what-you-paid-for garbage. I have a 420m-HDV and it supports a 5600x but god forbid you turn on XMP, it's a flat out crash fest since the paltry VRM layout can't handle the increase in power.

So the board supports Vermeer chips, but only if you run your RAM at 2400 speeds.

Went to a gigabyte B550m and never looked back.

Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah, the A series boards in general seem pretty bottom tier, I don't see the point in getting less than a B550 of some sort these days for an AM4 board. Though, if you want to save money, also consider a used older chipset board of B350 or higher, there are some decent board options, though you won't get PCIe gen4. There may be some good deals/combo bundles to be found though from folks upgrading and selling their old system parts.

Also, one advantage to buying a used board, is if the previous owner had Windows 10, and not an MS account, the license is likely attached to the board. Could save some additional money there.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Asus A320M-K + 3000G on +6042 bios = no M.2

I think AMD screwed up something in the Agesa, if the M.2 pcie lanes dosent work on Agesas 1.2.0.7+ on some cases, it could mean the Asrock A520M-HDV inverted the pci-e lanes, and the ones meant for the chipset are wired to the M.2 and the chipset is wired to the lanes meant for the M.2.