Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

anarr

May 27, 2009
Hi everyone,
i'm having problems with this mobo. I flashed the bios to the latest version (2.14a) succesfully. But now the mobo has booting problems. It won't boot unless i clear the cmos with jumper for a few seconds. Then it will boot but with a message:
Cmos Checksum Bad and
CMOS Date/Time Not Set.

Press F2 to run Setup
Press F1 to load default values and continue.

When i press F2 i enter the bios setup and i can adjust the settings and save&exit. But the system won't boot after that. (unless clearing cmos again)
Pressing F1 continues the boot and starts up vista. (with default bios values).
When i shut down after a while, the system won't boot again (unless i clear cmos... again)
All i hear is two little plopping sounds from the system speaker.

anyone got any ideas?

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
anarr -- Press F2, then save it to the default values... then reboot... then see if it Goes into Vista without nagging you... If so, that's good news... so then reboot, press F2 again, and then try to slowly tweak things to the way you want them.... don't do too much BIOS tweaking all at once... do it slowly, bit by bit, so you can trouble shoot if there is 1 setting that causes problems.

anarr

May 27, 2009
doesn't help,.. so i reflashed the bios, flashing all blocks as mentioned earlier in this thread and now i don't have a mack adress..!

MAC adress are both invalid in both CMOS and Flash!
Press F1 to resume

bad thing is: my keyboard doesn't react eighter so i'm completely stuck now.

The person of the reply to flash all blocks should have edited it and warn for this!!!

so now i got a floppy drive and a dos boot disk but since the bios doesn't recognise my keyboard anymore, i can't even write the MAC adress to it, as stated in a much later reply... :-(

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
anarr, check out page 70 of this thread as there is a conversation about the mac address problem, and how to fix it.
The Mac tool can be obtained from here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...=2189649&postcount=242

I'm not sure why your keyboard isn't working. Is it PS/2 or USB? Perhaps you can try another keyboard that uses a different plug-type than the one you're having a problem with, and see if that helps?

nwobhm

May 16, 2009
Originally posted by: nwobhm
I just bought from a auction r2.0 version of this mobo and I think it's my best way to upgrade my current northwood cpu into new era.
I have read few things about this mobo and I'm bit worried if my hd3850 agp card will work on this mobo. Of course I will put the lastest bios on. But truely should I be concerned about hd3850 and 4coredual-sata not working together?
What's the cpu compatibility with the lastest bios? And should I go with quad core or with core2 cpu with this mobo?

On monday I'm gonna go and buy C2D E7400... hopefully everything will go fine setting up my new gear :)

nwobhm

May 16, 2009

On monday I'm gonna go and buy C2D E7400... hopefully everything will go fine setting up my new gear :)
Well nothing seemed to go right.

I installed the mobo and the E7400 and HD's and HD3850 agp gpu. I pluged the 20-pin axt pwr and turned powerswitch... system turned on, but screen was black?
I wondered if the agp was broken on mobo, since the card workd fien on my ic-7 mobo.
Then I noticed the 4-pin atx12v connector and i pluged that into mobo, but then nothing happened.
So when 20-pin pwr is connected, no picture, but when I add the 4-pin connector nothing happens. I almost hope that it is the psu which is broken, not my new mobo or hd3850.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

I installed the mobo and the E7400 and HD's and HD3850 agp gpu. I pluged the 20-pin axt pwr and turned powerswitch... system turned on, but screen was black?
I wondered if the agp was broken on mobo, since the card workd fien on my ic-7 mobo.
Then I noticed the 4-pin atx12v connector and i pluged that into mobo, but then nothing happened.
So when 20-pin pwr is connected, no picture, but when I add the 4-pin connector nothing happens. I almost hope that it is the psu which is broken, not my new mobo or hd3850.

You got an "unknown quantity" Mobo from an auction and partnered it with a HD3850 and a new type c2d E7400 ---> I'm not surprised you are having problems ?

1) Has the mobo ever tested ok by booting with any type CPU/VGA card combination ?

2) To run with new types of CPU and/or VGA card, best to make sure that "latest" Bios is flashed to Mobo ---> http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase_redirect.php?fid=9207

3) You must always remember to clear the mobo CMOS (obviously with the equipment switched off) before trying to run with Newer/Different type CPU and/or VGA card.

4) And yes, you MUST make sure that ALL required connectors are plugged in before applying power!

:)

anarr

May 27, 2009
Originally posted by: Ileader36
If the Keyboard is USB, then make sure legacy is set to Auto or On in the bios.

uhm.. how can i set anything in the bios if it doesn't recognise my keyboard in the first place?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: anarr
Originally posted by: Ileader36
If the Keyboard is USB, then make sure legacy is set to Auto or On in the bios.

uhm.. how can i set anything in the bios if it doesn't recognise my keyboard in the first place?

If it is only the fact that your keyboard has a USB connector that is holding you back, then simply get yourself a "USB to PS/2" adapter and you can simply plug into the mobo's PS/2 "keyboard" interface ?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...dpNo=2380045&CatId=469

Because of numerous previous mouse/keyboard/USB problems, I now only ever connect via the mobo's ps/2 interface ---> obviously using "usb to ps/2" adapters where necessary!

;)

imported_Ante

Jun 8, 2009
Hello,

I have E6750 which is running underclocked at FSB 266Mhz only. CPU supports 333Mhz.

I have:
BIOS P2.10
2 x 1GB Supertalent DDR2 PC2-6400.
ATI HD 4830 PCI-E

When I raise FSB more than 266Mhz I got BSOD or with higher values unable to boot. Is there any solution how to raise FSB ?

Regards,
Ante

CellBlockSgt

Jun 16, 2009
Want to throw in my 2 cents on the GTS 250 and this board. I wanted to upgrade my wifes pc with this board from my aging x1950pro so I got the 8800gts which I could not get stable no matter what I tried. When the GTS 250 came out I figured I would give it a shot since it was on the support list. No matter what I tried it would constantly crash in 3dmark03 just like my 8800gts did. After reading some forums and what not I found a post where someone said they had to remove there cpu OC for it to be stable, so I tried that and BAM it now works. I have been able to run 3dmark03 6 consecutive runs without any crashes. I also played COD4 and Guild Wars with no issues yet. I now wonder if this was also the problem with the 8800gts guess I wont know since I sold it. Below are a few changes I have made in my 2.10 bios from asrock for the EVGA GTS 250 1gig card.

V Link Speed: Fast
primary graphics: PCI express GFX
set fsb from the OC back to stock 266
PCI express downstream pipeline: Disabled
PCI express clock: 100
agp pci clock: 66/33
spread spectrum: Disabled
Max cpuid limit: Disabled

As far as I know thes are the changes I have made to the asrock 2.10 bios and the card seems to work flawless atm.

3dmark03 X1950pro 512: 17878 3d marks
3dmark03 GTS 250 1gig: 34534 3d marks

Hope this helps someone out in the future that may have this board. Now to attempt to OC the GTS 250 :)

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
Originally posted by: sastusbulbas
Hi all,

Has anyone used the Asrock 4coredual SataII motherboard with a 64bit OS and 4gb of ram?

Cheers,
Steve

Yes. You still don't get the full 4GB of ram. 3.25GB is the most you see.

rudenheimer

Jul 1, 2009
Originally posted by: jimmor

You got an "unknown quantity" Mobo from an auction and partnered it with a HD3850 and a new type c2d E7400 ---> I'm not surprised you are having problems ?

1) Has the mobo ever tested ok by booting with any type CPU/VGA card combination ?

2) To run with new types of CPU and/or VGA card, best to make sure that "latest" Bios is flashed to Mobo ---> http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase_redirect.php?fid=9207

3) You must always remember to clear the mobo CMOS (obviously with the equipment switched off) before trying to run with Newer/Different type CPU and/or VGA card.

4) And yes, you MUST make sure that ALL required connectors are plugged in before applying power!

:)

OK, first, hi, new member here :)

I'm having a similar problem with mine (same MB, E5200 Wolfdale 2.5 GB), and I purchased it from Newegg. I have an ATI Radeon 9700Pro and the exact same thing happens. Should I try clearing the CMOS? If that doesn't work, how do I flash the BIOS when I can't see what's on the screen?

Ahh, to be back when computers were simpler... *looks wistfully at the Amiga 500 in the corner...*

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
@rudenheimer,

The E5200 (or any Wolfdale for that matter) was not supported on the retail release BIOS for the board, so you definitely need to flash an update to use that CPU. So, you have a chicken-and-newegg problem: you'll need borrow or buy a CPU that is listed on Asrock's official support list, or take the mobo to a shop and have them put in a CPU on hand and flash, in order to then stick in your E5300. I suggest that if you do take it to a shop, have them also put in the new CPU and do a test boot.

wasoethoudt

Jul 4, 2009
Hi, i'm a new member too! Trying to read up in this topic, it's a lot.

I own an 4coredual for a year now, had it running with 2gb and a e4600 (this was an 2600Mhz with 800fsb). I thought it was time to upgrade and use the whole 1066mh the mobo could give, so i bought a e7600, which works fine! I got gready and bought 2 extra gb memory, also kingston 677 valueram cl5 on one dimm.

First i thought i try the ram, so i updated bios to the newest, 2.16a. Rebooted and it worked (with stock 2gb and the old e4600). So i installed de extra ram, got it to work with low voltage and overwriting auto to 333mhz. My 32bit vista said 4gbI thought i was ready to try the ne cpu, i did and it wouldn.t work with the 4gb, it only works with 2! I tried to change a couple of settings, tried the 266mhz, or the memory compatibility flexibility option, or a bit higer voltagege, tried to change cl from auto to 5 (4 also works at 2gb), none worked, just a black screan at startup. removing the extra mem and it worked again, no matter what setting. I noticed when i put only 2gb in the 2nd slot, it works but randomly crashes, i was desperate...

I don't want to leave it at this, has anyone got an idea what to do? I'd like to install an 64bit os for some CAD aplications, which crash all the time due to low mem in 32bit...

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
@wasoethoudt,

Wish I could help; don't have 4GB myself so cannot replicate your issue. Try overriding mem speed to 266MHz; 333MHz has been known to cause problems. Interested to see how the E7600 works out for you; am waiting to buy one of these myself.

wasoethoudt

Jul 4, 2009
thanks, e7600 works fine! It feels faster than the 4700. Had already tried 266, didn't work either. By the way, my ram dims are not from the same batch, but do have similar specs.

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Originally posted by: wasoethoudt
thanks, e7600 works fine! It feels faster than the 4700. Had already tried 266, didn't work either. By the way, my ram dims are not from the same batch, but do have similar specs.

Oops! Well, then I would try fiddling with the mem voltage, setting it to high (normally I use low for my 1.8v rated sticks). One of your sticks might need more juice. Alternately, try low!