Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 86 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

I have just replaced the graphics card in my signature with a new one.

I now have fitted a Sapphire 4870 Toxic with 1gb of memory, PCI-E, running stock drivers and clocks, so far seems fine (though sometimes the fan speeds up like a jet for a second or two), no doubt the Sapphire Toxic will be bottlenecked with the PCI-e specification of this motherboard, but it seems good to know it works.

Idle temps of the card are at 62 which seems a bit high? (fan is on auto at 1% 0 activity)

GPU clock is at 780Mhz stock, Memory is at 1000Mhz stock.

Good we motherboard for collecting bits, I wonder if it can run PC-8500 and an Intel E8600? (both underclocked of course)

Redline

Mar 8, 2000
Does anyone have a link to a "boot disk version" of the latest bios ? (possibly 2.12a)
The ones I found a few pages back no longer work.
BTW, which bios would you recommend for the following:

Intel E5200
2GB Kingston HyperX PC4000 DDR 500 (upgrading to 4GB DDR2 someday)
ATI X800 XT PE ATI Radeon AGP

Thanks in advance!

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

Does anyone have pictures showing what pins to cover and what pins to connect when doing a BSEL mod an an Intel E5200 and taking it from 800Mhz to 1066Mhz?

And is anyone aware of any stability issues running DDR2 with the 1066Mhz CPU setting?

Anyone with the above mods able to post CPU-Z pics of the CPU and memory settings and performance?

Thankyou

vixensjlin

Mar 30, 2008
ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Bios 2.12b
Changelog:
- Add Support for R0 stepping
-Support Enhanced Halt State,Thermal Throttling, SpeedStep
-Support 2* 2GB (maximal ~3,3 GB nutzbar, da der Chipsatz kein "Memory Hole" unterstützt
-Support HD 48XX/HD46XX
-Verbesserte Lüftersteuerung
- Add Instant Boot Support

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Bios 2.13a
Changelog:
- Add Support for R0 stepping
-Support Enhanced Halt State,Thermal Throttling, SpeedStep
-Support 2* 2GB (maximal ~3,3 GB nutzbar, da der Chipsatz kein "Memory Hole" unterstützt
-Support HD 48XX/HD46XX
-Verbesserte Lüftersteuerung
-Logitech Illuminated keyboard fix

A question here: Does that mean 2.13a didn't support instant boot as 2.12b? While Asrock's advertising instant boot like crazy, is that instant boot practical on this old motherboard?

Cougiex

Mar 23, 2009
I now have fitted a Sapphire 4870 Toxic with 1gb of memory,

So the 1GB works eh? I was thinking of getting a 4870 512mb to replace my x1950pro AGP but I might get this one now.

So how does it compare to your old AGP card? Have you tried any games or benchmarking like 3dmark06? Is it a significant improvement even if there's a bottleneck?

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Originally posted by: sastusbulbas
Hi all,

Does anyone have pictures showing what pins to cover and what pins to connect when doing a BSEL mod an an Intel E5200 and taking it from 800Mhz to 1066Mhz?

And is anyone aware of any stability issues running DDR2 with the 1066Mhz CPU setting?

Anyone with the above mods able to post CPU-Z pics of the CPU and memory settings and performance?

Thankyou

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2933913

The conductive silver in the lower right of the cpu forces the 266fsb, the voltage pin mod
You will have to work out yourself based on the default voltage for Your cpu, which coretemp
will accurately show, then use the Intel datasheet to work out which pins to modify.
Do not copy what I did, unless Your cpu uses 1.1625v as default.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
Hi,

I have a few problems with Asrock's 4CoreDual-SATA2 so I thought I would report here :

After a fresh install of Windows Vista + SP1, I would experience random system hangs (black screen at boot up).

Can someone help, please ?

I still use an "old" 350W Enermax PSU, could it be related ?
Other hardware consist of a 8500 ATI AGP graphic card, two CD/DVD and 2 hard drives.

I read from some post that some people consider that DDR is too slow for Intel's new CPUs. (I use 1GB + 512MB of PQI DDR-400 @133MHz).
I tried to adjust chipset settings in the BIOS accordingly to the DDR timings, but it doesn't seem to help much.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Hi Deleauvive,

It could be your power supply. You might want to test it with a multi-meter to make sure the volts are within spec. It could also be that your 350 watt Enermax doesn't have enough amps for the system you're running (you might want to try disconnecting the 2nd hard drive and the CD/DVD drives to test if your system then becomes stable as a result of a less electrical load on the power supply).

Also, is the CPU heatsink mounted correctly, and temps fine?

What CPU are you using? Are you overclocking? What BIOS version is on the motherboard?

DDR-400 works fine on this board, even with the newer CPUs.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
Hi doubleOseven,
Thank you so much for the fast reply :) .

I just tried with DDR2 with and without AUTO settings, it's worse actually, so it might just be the power supply.
I don't have a multimeter, and I hesitate to disconnect drives as I need them for installing (I install from the DVD player, and the second hard drive holds the additional software I use to post-install).

I use the e7300 (1066MHz bus) cooled down by a Noctua and I don't overclock a bit. BIOS is official v2.10.
temps are a bit higher than on my other system but well below 45°.

I'd like to know if you adjusted chipset options options in the BIOS accordingly to your DDR timings ? @ what speed is running your DDR, plz ?

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Well, if you're not overclocking your DDR-400, then it should be set up in the BIOS for a DRAM frequency (Bus Speed) of 200 MHz, using SPD timings. and a FSB:DRAM direct ratio of 1:1.

Your BIOS version 2.10 is fine for the e7300.

Since you don't have a multimeter, you could look in the BIOS your system health, which shows your voltages (may not be as accurate as a multimeter though).

At this point, I'm guessing the culprit is your power-supply being too weak.
(does your power supply even have the 4 pin 12 volt wire that plugs into the motherboard, which powers the processor? -- if not, that would explain your booting problems, so you need a power supply that can do that!)

If you can, perhaps borrow or get a better powersupply, like a 450 watt or more, (get a namebrand, like Enermax, Corsair, OCZ etc), and see if it helps.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
I have just ordered another 420W Seasonic PSU, I'll keep you posted whether it solves the problem or not. For this computer, I use a very low-end graphic card by today standards and I don't plan to plug in more than 3 HDDs, plus 45nm Dual core CPUs are especially power efficient, as you know. So I think (I hope) it should be enough.

I use this cool PSU calculator, by the way.

Concerning DRAM timings, you were right : The PC now boots up with DRAM frequency @ 200MHz as specified in the BIOS. The timings are 3/4/4/8 accordingly to SPD readings. So DRAM can be overclocked on this board ?

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
Well, "we" were wrong, sorry to say.
The problem comes from the AGP display adapter I own.
A plain R200 "ATI ATI" 8500 AGP card built in 2001.

Thankfully, I have a top-notch PC next to this one, so I could test with various parts.
The PCI express one would allow me to alter the Vista installation in every possible way and still reboot properly !

I noticed the +5V was a bit unstable with the AGP card plugged in so I cranked up the AGP Voltage setting to High and specified 4X. It seems to work fine that way.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Anyone here running Vista 32 or 64 with a HD3850 AGP?

I have major issues with freezing in games, basically it freezes, then between 1/2 a second and 20 seconds the game continues, it will repeat this over
and over again, and is the same in 3dmark 06 and the X3 Terran conflict rolling demo.
It's not sound card related, as 3dmark06 doesn't use the sound card.
I have used different ATI drivers including hotfix ones, nothing makes any difference, vista 32 and 64 bit both the same symptoms, which
surprised me. Latest March 09 direct x 9, latest drivers for everything else too.
The reason I put vista on is because COD4 and COD WAW both CTD in Windows XP, every other game is rock solid.

I expect it is some sort of screwy Via AGP problem, my old comp never did this with same video card and Intel 865 chipset.

One more thing, this happens at video card stock settings,so it is not a overclock related problem, cpu at 3.12ghz which is also rock solid.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
I fixed the Vista Freezing problem, and just as well as I was considering upgrading to a better mobo.

The problem was caused by the VLINK setting in the bios. it was set to normal.
Setting it to high has fixed it, now everything running smoothly.

Got a 3DMark Vantage score of P4475 with CPU at 3.4ghz and Video card at 810/954

These bioses sure are finicky, really annoying how a seemingly minor setting can screw everything,
anyway all good now

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
As a side note, it seems to me this mobo is not 100% ACPI enabled. I could not install the free version of Alcohol 52° as it was complaining about ACPI not being disabled (never experienced this bug before). So beware if you have software that "calls" for ACPI functions.

I guess if I was installing linux I would use the NOACPI parameter before compiling the kernel, but Vista doesn't have this kind of flexibility.
Oh, and still on that ACPI subject, I am afraid the workaround (with dumppo and stuff) to standby the PC isn't the definitive answer. This said, I could StandBy my freshly reinstalled PC today.

I am surprised people build a high-end system based on this mobo (Quad Core, 4GB of ram...), but hey, it's their choice.

I agree with you Ileader36, as I experienced its picky BIOS myself, but it might be the price to pay for its extended compatibility capabilities, compared to other Dual & Quad-core supporting mobos on the market.

nwobhm

May 16, 2009
I just bought from a auction r2.0 version of this mobo and I think it's my best way to upgrade my current northwood cpu into new era.
I have read few things about this mobo and I'm bit worried if my hd3850 agp card will work on this mobo. Of course I will put the lastest bios on. But truely should I be concerned about hd3850 and 4coredual-sata not working together?
What's the cpu compatibility with the lastest bios? And should I go with quad core or with core2 cpu with this mobo?

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006

AGP will rise again

ATI AGP HD 4650

In case you've grown attached to your old rig, you'll be happy to hear that Gigabyte is now offering an AGP Radeon HD 4650 card,

Whether you're upgrading, or just want to use an old PC as an HTPC, an AGP HD 4650 is a pretty good choice, as it's not nearly as power hungry as previous AGP cards. With a power consumption of just 48W, you probably won't have to upgrade your PSU to enjoy HD and a few more fps in games.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index....view&id=13730&Itemid=1

:thumbsup: