Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Well I updated my Bios via floppy to 2.13a

With bios P2.00 I could get a maximum 12.5X220 OC on an Intel E5200 taking me from 2.5 to 2.7.

My DDR400 (Corsair XMS Pro 2gb) would automatically go up to 220mhz with the above OC? Edit, This is supposed to be good overclockable memory, with some good online reviews, but I just cannot seem to overclock this above 200 on its own, and only at 220 via the CPU overclock? It does seem that I have no idea about OC'ing this, or that the memory is holding things back?

I then updated my Bios to 2.13a to allow me to use more memory later. At this point I noticed my memory was running at 180mhz, I overclocked to 2.7 and got 200Mhz from the memory, then up to 3.0 and got 2.08 Mhz from the memory.

This morning I adusted the memory within the bios and it would not boot, I did a manual adjust on my timings, as specified by Corsair, and changed my command rate from 2T to 1T I am unsure if flexibility was disabled or not, but I think I switched this?

Anyway, with the CPU on stock I am now getting 133Mhz from my memory instead of 200Mhz, and I know this memory is capable of 220Mhz?
No idea where I went wrong.

I reset default settings and started again, flexibility was disabled.

I set my timings manually and am at 199.5Mhz with 2/3/2/6 and a 1T command rate, my FSB Dram is 1.1.

FSB Dram had been 3.1 for some reason earlier with 133mhz at 2/3/2/6 and a 1T command rate?

Am I right in thinking this should be 1.1?

Had another go, leaving the above on manual settings the computer would not boot with a 12.5 X 240 multiplier. I had to again set all memory options to automatic.

I had the E5200 running at 3Ghz with a 240Mhz bus speed and a 960Mhz rated FSB, but the memory is at 200Mhz with an FSB DRAM of 6:5 , 2.5/3/2/5 and a 2T command rate?

Would I be better with the E5200 running at 2.7Ghz with DDR memory at 220Mhz with 2/3/2/6 and a 1T command rate, and FSB Dram at 1.1?

Had another go. Seems the highest I can go and boot into windows is 12.5 X 250 but I still seem to have to leave all memory settings on auto.

This gives my E5200 a 3125.2Mhz speed , 250Mhz Bus speed, 1000Mhz rated FSB. memory is automatically set at Dram Freq 208Mhz, FSB Dram 6.5, 2.5/3/2/5 CR 2T.

Out of the above which sounds best?

What 4Gb memory kit should I get?

Corsair XMS Pro DDRII 6400 800Mhz 2x2Gb with Leds? (I like Leds my current DDR 400 has em)

- The TWIN2X4G6400C4PRO is a 4096 MByte matched pair of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. This part delivers outstanding performance in the latest generation of DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested extensively in multiple DDR2 platforms to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has been verified to operate at 800MHz at the latencies of 4-4-4-12. The TWIN2X4G6400C4PRO comes with Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP), the open standard for performance module SPD's jointly developed by Corsair and NVIDIA. EPP SPD's on Corsair modules allow users to automatically configure EPP enabled motherboards with aggressive memory performance settings, for maximum memory and system performance. As part of Corsair's XMS Pro Series, each module includes the high-efficiency aluminum XMS heatsink, and 24 activity LED's that show the level of memory activity on each bank.

Kingston Hyper X 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 6400C4 800MH

- Power supply : Vdd: 1.8V ± 0.1V, Vddq: 1.8V ± 0.1V
- Double-data-rate architecture; two data transfers per clock cycle
- Bidirectional data strobe(DQS)
- Differential clock inputs (CK and CK)
- DLL aligns DQ and DQS transition with CK transition
- Programmable Read latency 3, 4, 5 (clock)
- Burst Length: 4, 8 (Interleave/nibble sequential)
- Programmable Burst type (sequential & interleave)
- Timing Reference: 667MHz 5-5-5-15 at +1.8V / 800MHz 4-4-4-12 at +1.95V
- Edge aligned data output, center aligned data input
- Auto & Self refresh, 7.8us refresh interval (8K/64ms refresh)
- Serial presence detect with EEPROM
- High Performance Heat Spreader

Regarding the AGP and Ram volts, do you mean the highest setting the Bios will allow, IE Memory only has three? Low/Medium/High?

Cheers,
Steve

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Regarding the AGP and Ram volts, do you mean the highest setting the Bios will allow, IE Memory only has three? Low/Medium/High?

Cheers,
Steve

Yes, use high for both AGP and Ram volts.
You might have to search the first 20 or so pages of this thread for compatible ddr2 ram.
You will not get 4gb ram, even with a 64bit OS on this mobo, I think around 3.5gb is the best it will do, remember it was designed for only 2gb, but look through this thread anyway for answers.

I had major issues with Ram at 1t timing, so left it at 2t.

3.1 ghz is likely the max your processor will do on stock volts, I would suggest running some benchmarks like prime95 to test processor stability.
I bsel modded mine to boot at 266fsb and also modded the cpu pins for 1.3625v.

Just found this info about Ram voltage relating to DDR2 and DDR1

DDR2 high = 2.0 volts, normal = 1.9volts and low = 1.8volts.
DDR1 high = 2.7 volts, normal = 2.6volts and low = 2.5volts.

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Not too much info and quite a lot of reading to do.

Looks like sticking with basic Corsair XMS or Kingston DDR2 800Mhz may be the way to go, I will get one or the other and post back.

I have currently let my motherboard decide most of my Memory settings, as it seems a little unhappy with manual setting and a 12.5 x 240 multiplier on the Intel E5200 CPU

At 12.5 x 250 my game froze so I went down to 240 again.

I do not think my Corsair XMS Pro PC3500 LL is too happy with overclocking in this board.

I set AGP and Ram volts to high, also set the AGP Fastwrite to enabled.

So currently I have an E5200 at 3.0Ghz with a 12.5X240 multiplier giving me a rated FSB of 960Mhz, with my memory at 200Mhz with FSB Dram of 6.5, timings at 2.5/3/2/5 CR at 2T

I am running my HIS IceQ HD 3850 512 AGP card at stock with teh GPU clock showing 715Mhz and Memory showing 909Mhz.

When I treid overclocking this my game shut down and I got an error message. It was before I set the AGP voltage to high.

If I push any of the above settings the system either will not boot or my game will freeze and require me to power down and restart with the above settings.

So far the only real issue I have is with Command & Conquer Tiberium war, as during teh Rome level, there is a point where I attack the Nod in teh upper left, and they retaliate with a lot of hardware, at this point I get the game stuttering until there is less action on the screen?

To be honest I am hoping this is memory related, and that upgrading to DDR2 will improve this. I want to play the Rome level at full resolution with no stuttering or loss of frame rate.

Does this stuttering sound like a memory issue?

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
I was barely able to run my E5200 at all. I had to underclock at stock volts, and even then it was unreliable. I pad-modded it to 1.4V and did the BSEL mod which got me to 3.6GHz. I'm sure there is more in it, but this board's well-known reluctance to get past 300MHz fsb is probably limiting the processor. I would volt-mod the NB, but I am unmotivated to tear into it any further since motorcycle season is about to begin and I have bigger fish to fry. I tried playing with GTL voltages, but any deviance from stock left the computer unbootable. I think you will have to BSEL mod your processor before you start seeing any results, at least that's what got my old E4500 to wake up in this board.

Oct 19, 2006
Originally posted by: vixensjlin
Originally posted by: doubleOseven
That's good to know Vixen about the 4gig limitation of the PT880 chipset. However, even if it weren't for the chipset's 4 gig limitation, my understanding is that it can also be an OS limitation if you're running say Win XP Home Edition (to get the full 4 gigs of RAM to run on that would be a challenge)

Microsoft cut the support of 4G ram after 32bit-XP/SP2. Here I use IBM/Lenovo T61 with 4G ram to show you how 32 bit XP Pro/sp1 supported 4G before (not in SP2 or SP3). I cannot find 32 bit XP home for test now, but Microsoft apply the SAME memory support to all version of XP (all XP version use the same kernel, see http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/...server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx ).

32 bit Vista can only use ~3GB: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8898/vista32fh4.jpg

32 bit XP/sp1 can use all 4GB http://bayimg.com/DAhJNaabb

comparison: 64 bit Server2003 http://bayimg.com/FaHjaaABb

I'm pretty sure Microsoft changed the way the "system properties" screen showed available memory from XP SP1 to SP2, not how much memory Windows can actually use. XP SP1 still can't use all 4GB, hell the XP Kernal can only use 2GB and the Rest is set aside for other programs. Then video memory needs to be mapped so you loose some available system memory addresses. I suggest you read the anandtech articles awhile back about games and their memory foot print.

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Hi all,

Ok I recently added 2x4Gb of Corsair XMS PC6400 C5 DDR2 800Mhz.

Since then I have been completely unable to do any sort of overclocking.

I am currently running stock at 2.5Ghz with memory running at 266Mhz with an Fsb Dram of 3:4

Timings are 4/4/4/12 everything is on automatic due to my being rubbish at OC'ing and having crashes whenever I set up things manualy.

Am I better off sticking with teh DDR400 and getting the CPU up to 3.3ghz? With the DDR400 at 210Mhz and a FSB ram of 6.5 I think it was?

Do you think any of this is due to running 4Gb of Ram?

Should it be running at 667mhz and is this better than 533 Mhz?

Edit,

I had another play, I turned on flexibility mode, and disabled speedstep. could not overclock.

Put everything back on auto, left on Flexibility Mode, DDR2 memory is now running at 199.5 Mhz with an FSB Dram of 1.1, timings 4/3/3/9

???????

What should I be aiming for here?

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Originally posted by: sastusbulbasWhat should I be aiming for here?

You should be first aiming to get a stable setup and then go for the mild overclocking this board will allow. You have the combined issue of new memory and a 800MHz CPU you want to OC as a 1066MHz chip.

Try setting:

CPU:
Overclock Mode [CPU,PCIE Sync.]
CPU Frequency [266]
PCIE Frequency [100]
PCI Frequency [33.33MHz] (or maybe slightly higher setting)
Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
Boot Failure Guard [Enabled]

Ratio (Multiplier) [9.5] (9.5x266=2527, for a close match to the CPU default of 2500 MHz)

All other CPU setting that follow: [Disabled]

The above essentially mimics a 1066 MHz chip. My 4CoreDual-VSTA will wildly increase the PCIe frequency as I progress the CPU from 200 to 265 MHz, but will drop it back down to 100 when I reach 266. Set your PCIe to 100 manually and choose CPU/PCIe Unsync if that doesn't happen with the -SATA2 board.

Mem:
Set the frequency manually to 533 MHz (667 is a bit borked on this board), Flexibility mode to Off, all other mem timing settings to Auto, memory voltage to Low (1.8v, close to the 1.9v rating for your sticks, which will be running slower than rated and do not need lotsa juice; can be counter-productive to OCing on this board). Like so:

Chipset Configuration:
DRAM Frequency [266MHz (DDRII533) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [Auto]
DRAM Bank Interleave [Auto]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [Auto]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [Auto]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [Auto]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [Auto]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [Auto]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [Auto]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [Auto]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [Auto]
DRAM Bus Selection [Auto]
DRAM Command Rate [2T]

Advanced Memory Configuration:
[Untouched]

Advanced Host Configuration:
Pipeline DRQCTL [Enabled]
GTL Control [Auto]
Other setting on this page [Auto]

DRAM Voltage [Low]
AGP Voltage [High]

Primary Graphics Adaptor [AGP]
AGP Mode [8x]
AGP Fast Write [Enabled]
AGP Aperture Size [64MB]
AGP Staggered Delay [Auto] (Try "None" when finished all other tests)
AGP GADSTB Output Delay [Auto] (Try "None" when finished all other tests)
AGP 3.0 Calibration [Auto]
AGP 3.0 DBI Function [Auto]
DBI Output for AGP Trans. [Auto]
DBI Output for FRAME Trans. [Auto]

V-Link Speed [Normal]

PCI Delay Transaction [Disabled]
IDE Drive Strength [Normal]
PCIE Downstream Pipeline [Disabled]
OnBoard LAN [Disabled]
OnBoard HD Audio [Enabled]
Front Panel [Enabled]
CD-In [Enabled]
Bus No. [80] (Can use 02 under XP; Vista and Win98SE can't)
Echo TPR Disable [Auto]

If this works OK, leave the memory settings alone and begin to increase CPU frequency. Without a BSEL mod on the CPU and extra CPU voltage (requires modding the CPU or board; no BIOS support), you are unlikely to get much beyond 280MHz.

With my E4500, I tend to lower the multiplier and up the FSB since, like you, my memory can handle the extra MHz but the CPU struggles without extra juice. I usually do 280x10, but have dropped back to 270x10 since I am currently playing another round of OC-unfriendly Oblivion.

anonxlg

Jun 22, 2008
i upgraded to e6600 cpu
cpu-z read the speeds correct, but coretemp is reading the fsb at its stock speed
hence i suspect that coretemp is reading the cpu temps wrong

Hlafordlaes

May 21, 2006
Originally posted by: anonxlg
i upgraded to e6600 cpu
cpu-z read the speeds correct, but coretemp is reading the fsb at its stock speed
hence i suspect that coretemp is reading the cpu temps wrong

I've always suspected as much. Can anyone else confirm?

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Hi Hlafordlaes,

Well the above settings did not work.

So who else is running an Intel E5200 unmodded on an Asrock 4coredual SataII Rev 2 motherboard with 4gb of ram?

What components are others using with this board? And what settings in bios?

Still wondering if I cannot overclock, should run the CPU at stock with 4GB of ddr2 at 533?

Or with the CPU at 12.5x220 with the DDR2 memory at 199.5Mhz and a 1.1 divider?

Or should I go back to my 2Gb of Corsair XMS Pro PC3500LL, which allows me to get 12.5x240 and 12.5x250 giving me 3.0 or up to 3.3 Ghz with old DDR memory?

scubadunc

Mar 16, 2009
Hey there

Any ideas on why my RAM is only being reported as 3072MB at post? I'm running the following rig:

Q6600
4coredual-sata2
2x2GB Corsair XMS2
GF 9600GT 512

Everything is running sweet apart from the fact that the bios should be able to see the full 4GB of RAM and win xp pro 32bit should see 3.25GB...correct?

I read in some earlier post that it was possible with a similar setup

scubadunc

Mar 16, 2009
Hey there

Got it working...Reduced the AGP Apeture to 32MB, now in post it shows 3328MB ram. When in the bios, it correctly displays 4GB and now in xp it displays 3.25GB..yay!!

scubadunc

Mar 16, 2009
Hey mate

Cant help you there. I'm running a pci-e card gf 9600gt..runs superbly.

A quote from the techpowerup site may help you though

"First of all, AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video card's on-board memory is running low. That means it will usually not impact your gaming performance because developers are trying hard to not exceed the on-board memory limits.
The bigger your video memory, the smaller your Aperture Size could be. However with later games requiring more and more texture memory a good number seems to be 128MB Aperture Size for all cards with 64 MB to 256 MB Video RAM.
Setting the Aperture Size to HUGE values will not increase performance because this merely sets the maximum amount of physical memory that can be used."

http://www.techpowerup.com/art...verclocking/vidcard/43

vixensjlin

Mar 30, 2008
Originally posted by: superunknown98
Originally posted by: vixensjlin
Originally posted by: doubleOseven
That's good to know Vixen about the 4gig limitation of the PT880 chipset. However, even if it weren't for the chipset's 4 gig limitation, my understanding is that it can also be an OS limitation if you're running say Win XP Home Edition (to get the full 4 gigs of RAM to run on that would be a challenge)

Microsoft cut the support of 4G ram after 32bit-XP/SP2. Here I use IBM/Lenovo T61 with 4G ram to show you how 32 bit XP Pro/sp1 supported 4G before (not in SP2 or SP3). I cannot find 32 bit XP home for test now, but Microsoft apply the SAME memory support to all version of XP (all XP version use the same kernel, see http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/...server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx ).

32 bit Vista can only use ~3GB: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/8898/vista32fh4.jpg

32 bit XP/sp1 can use all 4GB http://bayimg.com/DAhJNaabb

comparison: 64 bit Server2003 http://bayimg.com/FaHjaaABb

I'm pretty sure Microsoft changed the way the "system properties" screen showed available memory from XP SP1 to SP2, not how much memory Windows can actually use. XP SP1 still can't use all 4GB, hell the XP Kernal can only use 2GB and the Rest is set aside for other programs. Then video memory needs to be mapped so you loose some available system memory addresses. I suggest you read the anandtech articles awhile back about games and their memory foot print.

It's my fault that I didn't show the available and free memory screen dump, and didn't show you the 3GB and vga3070 switches. However, the XP does NOT need physical memory to map the memory for video card and yes XP SP1 can use all my full 4GB, since the 965 chip on my T61 can address beyond 4GB and map those virtual address for video card. (What you mentioned about MS changed the way of "system properties" is vista SP1; in the era of XP SP1, no XP user had 4GB, no such problem/limit.) Nowadays even 32 bit vista and windows 7 can directly use more than 4GB or more, by patching kernel. That's the available memory, not just the number showed in system properties.

I don't really want to discuss 4GB issue here since my darling Asrock 4core dual SATA2 cannot support all 4GB because of PT880 northbridge addressing limit. And I do love this thread and hoping it's not dying nor fighting. Please let's focus on this lovely motherboard, OK?

All right, Intel is going to offer E7600 (3.06Ghz!!) in May, does anybody know if our motherboard support it?

LemurMan

Mar 22, 2009
Hello all. No overclocking with my 4CoreDual SATA2 but I do have one minor problem: My computer hangs at shutdown, right around the point where it says "windows is shutting down..." I have XP Pro SP3 and the P2.00 BIOS on a Rev 2 motherboard.

Where do I start poking around in order to fix this problem?

PS. Other details: E5300 CPU, AGP Radeon 3850, 2GB DDR2 RAM, and 2x HDDs in RAID 1 confing

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
That indicates to me that a program or process is not shutting down.
I would go into task manager and turn off everything possible, then see if it shuts down.
No such problem with my system, which is similar to Yours.

Could be antivirus program or similar.

Cougiex

Mar 23, 2009
Hi! Just a quick question.

The specs page says Supports DDR2 667/533 & Max. capacity: 2GB.

But will a higher spec RAM still work? (eg. an 800 or 1066, 2x2GB) And just run at a lower speed and showing only 2GB??
<With official BIOS>

sastusbulbas

Mar 5, 2009
Originally posted by: Cougiex
Hi! Just a quick question.

The specs page says Supports DDR2 667/533 & Max. capacity: 2GB.

But will a higher spec RAM still work? (eg. an 800 or 1066, 2x2GB) And just run at a lower speed and showing only 2GB??
<With official BIOS>

Hi,

I found it best to find low voltage DDRII, if you look through the threads you may see that 667 has been reported as flakey/ IE less stable and more problematic for overclocking.

I myself am using 2x2gb sticks of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (G - 4GB Corsair (2x2GB) TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800Mhz), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18)
I run this 4gb kit at 300Mhz (=600Mhz) with 4/4/4/12 timings. No problems but I could only run 4gb with the updated bios!

This runs fine at low voltages and can be set from 667 and anything below with this motherboard, Personally I see no real point in 4gb with this board without an updated bios, I believe it will be unstable?

I also see no real benefit with 4gb and the updated bios, I am going to try out 2gb to see if it helps my overclocking, or I miss the little bit of extra memory.

I didn't bother with pc-8500 (1066) as it was rated at higher voltages and though it may work I could not get figures showing its settings for 533Mhz.

I have also been recommended,

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 X 1GB) DDR2 6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX6400D2LLk2/2G)

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 XTC 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK)

Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 6400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX (2x2GB)

Kingston Hyper X 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX6400D2LLk2/4G)

LemurMan

Mar 22, 2009
Just an update on my PC using the 4CoreDual SATA-2 that wouldn't shut down (but it would restart, for some odd reason): I flashed the BIOS to 2.10 and it's finally shutting down correctly! Thanks anyway to those who tried to help (I'm looking at you, Ileader) and I hope that this helps anyone with the same problem.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
In My opinion these motherboard's bioses are a bit flaky anyway.
Every now and then I go to turn the computer on and nothing, just the usual case lights,
so off and on again and all fine.
It will do fine until an eventual quadcore rig with pci-express next year.