Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_hiflyer

Jan 19, 2009
FWIW - Asrock's tech support was absolutely the best experience I've had with any tech support in recent history. No, I don't work for them, in fact I'd never heard of them until I bought this board a couple weeks ago. Might have to try one of their nicer boards on a new computer now. :-D

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
Still unable to put my computer into standby mode when I want to. May be chances are increased when not so many programs are loaded. Nobody' owning this mobo is still trying to do the same, apparently...

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
It does. I had it working for a good few days but I had to update the SATA2's bios to the 2.12a bios from pctreiber.net.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
I'm sure FrancisA would agree that only use a HD4850 if You are planning on putting it into a better motherboard
at some point, as My HD3850 AGP is more powerful on this motherboard, mainly due to my overclock though.

FrancisA, How are Your cpu temps?, as I have noticed You have exactly the same cooler as me, I fitted a backplate for better
lockdown on the cpu.
Mine hits a max of around 62C considering it is Hot Summer here.

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
+1 on Ileader36's comments. Yes, you can use the HD4850 but the board just won't allow you to use it at full potential. First, the 4x somehow limits its oc capability. I was stuck at 625/993, maybe push it to 650/993 but it just wasn't stable. Had to keep it at 625/993. Also, as soon as I put in the HD4850, I cannot overclock the E5200 more that 266fsb (which btw, was done using BSEL). Before the HD4850, I was able to do 280x12.5 no problem.

Ileader36: I got the SD964 when I switched boards but now with the UD3P and E5200 oc'd to 333x11 (even 360x10 at one point), my idle temps were 32-33C and load temps running Orthos/OCCT were 54-55C while IBT had it up to 59-60C, all these with an ambient of 70F or 21C. I do have the Xigmatek Crossbox backplate too.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
Let me tell you I don't give up easily (unless it ain't broke) : As you know, I wasn't able to obtain a satisfying StandBy mode, I continued to Google "Asrock, ACPI,..." and was lucky enough to read about dumppo.

As you don't seem to sympathize much with guys like me in need to put their computer into StandBy mode once or twice per day, I shall let you find out about this tool by yourselves (or pm me) !

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Sorry Deleauvive, but to be honest I have never used standby mode on any pc, mainly due to the problems it can cause.

BTW, if You get the latest beta bios from pctreiber, 2.12a, You can use Asrock instant boot with this mobo.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
I am a bit confused here, is this mobo fully S3 enabled ? Is Instant Boot the Asrock way of putting the computer into standby mode ? Even with much tweaking, the StandBy mode seems troublesome for me (a tool called Sleeper seems to indicate that S3 is supported).

My previous mobo was an ASUS one with an Intel (i815) chipset, and the standby mode was doing exactly as expected, no more no less. No data loss or anything.

Deleauvive

Jan 16, 2009
www.netcomet.info
I'll stick with StandBy, Ileader36 but thanks for the tip.

If you miss the StandBy (Sleep, whatever) feature too, here is how to activate it with this mobo (and possibly with other Asrock mobos) :
  • Download the command line tool dumppo here

Create a shortcut with the following instruction :
    dumppo.exe admin minsleep=s3

Put that shortcut in your startup folder

and voila ! your system will stop going into an unsupported "S" mode, and will go into StandBy mode upon the pressing of the StandBy button (if you have a multimedia keyboard).

Please note that a password won't be asked when going out of the StandBy mode.
This has been tested with 32-bit Windows Vista, it might also work under XP and 64-bit editions.

dumppo is a rather obscure MS tool, it can be used in conjunction with sleeper which indicates whether your mobo is S3 enabled or not. This tip was adapted from a post I found on jilles blog.

anonxlg

Jun 22, 2008
i'm planning on getting a second monitor, i'm thinking of offsetting the second monitor to agp, plus i have a spare agp anyways

so do i just put it in and start up normally and then install drivers?

adihac

Feb 5, 2009
I have this MB for an year now and i am very pleased with it. I have seen here that with an bios update u can put on this MB 4 GB of ram and so i have updated my bios version 1.1 with the oficial bios 2.1 and i put 2x2GB Dual Channel Kingmax ram on this MB. In bios the ram was seen in dual channel but only ~3.25, also in windows. I am usig XP SP2 32 bit.
Also 2 weeks ago i have bought a Gigabyte 9800GT 512, and it worked perfectly with the bios verson 1.1 and 2.1.

Tebe

Feb 5, 2009
Hello i have a problem .. i bought a mother board 4coredual sata 2 r2 and a procesor intel e 7300 , and i have video card powercolor hd3850 agp 8x.. after i reinstalled windows xp , i installed video driver and my computer it`s freezeng after that... please help me.. i didn`t change any options in bios.. i only updated bios to 1.80.. from asrock site.. help pls:D tnx

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Tebe -- you should consider updating your bios to the unofficial beta bios, 2.12b that will support your setup...
download it here: http://www.pctreiber.net/fileb...php?fileid=2992&lim=20
and... burn a cd /boot disk from it to update your bios.
Then, in the bios, reset to default values, then restert, and set your bios up correctly, and make sure that in the bios, the PCIE Downstream Pipeline is disabled... that will help with your video card.

atasmrk

Feb 5, 2009
Tebe, I have roughly the same setup as you, including problems. Please keep us posted about the progress.

Phatjayunoi

Mar 6, 2008
Originally posted by: Tebe
Hello i have a problem .. i bought a mother board 4coredual sata 2 r2 and a procesor intel e 7300 , and i have video card powercolor hd3850 agp 8x.. after i reinstalled windows xp , i installed video driver and my computer it`s freezeng after that... please help me.. i didn`t change any options in bios.. i only updated bios to 1.80.. from asrock site.. help pls:D tnx

Official BIOS version 2.00 and above will bring support for the 7300 CPU. I suggest going for the latest 2.10 official one, or the unofficial 2.12b for all the extra little options.

Merp

Feb 8, 2009
Originally posted by: doubleOseven
Tebe -- you should consider updating your bios to the unofficial beta bios, 2.12b that will support your setup...
Then, in the bios, reset to default values, then restert, and set your bios up correctly, and make sure that in the bios, the PCIE Downstream Pipeline is disabled... that will help with your video card.

I have the same setup and have been having problems even with the newest official BIOS. I tried making a boot cd with the bios in order to flash my board but haven't had any luck. Can you PLEASE PLEASE explain how to make a boot CD and flash to this beta BIOS? My floppy drive is dead so that's not an option. I'd really appreciate it! :)

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Merp
Originally posted by: doubleOseven

I have the same setup and have been having problems even with the newest official BIOS. I tried making a boot cd with the bios in order to flash my board but haven't had any luck. Can you PLEASE PLEASE explain how to make a boot CD and flash to this beta BIOS? My floppy drive is dead so that's not an option. I'd really appreciate it! :)

Download the file. Unzip the file. Use a program to write the ISO file to a blank CD (Imgburn is good). Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the CD first. When the computer is booted up from the CD, type in UPDATE at the D:\ prompt (or whatever letter your CD drive is) and press ENTER

adihac

Feb 5, 2009
Does some bios see the full of 4 GB of Ram? 2.1 see only aprox 3.25 Ram and so does windows. In 2.1 bios the 2x2 GB are working in dual chanel mode.
Thx.