Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Cool!
Today i managed to clock my E6600 To 2.70 (FSB 299)
before I was using 285 i think, (clock was @ 2.60Ghz)
I remember when i first bought this board, i couldnt get past 287/295 range.
Im using stock bios, Bios version 1.50
Further specs,
2GB DDR² 667
7800GS AGP
Win XP
2 Sata HD's
1 DVD Drive.

i should get me a HD 4850 or similar fast! :D

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Why has no antialiasing got anything to do with Your Motherboard, or is it because of the pci-express being 4x only.
I take it You have tried latest ATI drivers.
The only reason I bought this mobo was to get maximum life from my HD3850 AGP, has no problems with Crysis
on 1280x860

I'm still ironing out issues with my mobo, a new Thermaltake Toughpower Qfan 650w has solved my not booting issue, now
I think I am having crashing problems caused by too high temps on my e5200, which is at 3.2ghz and 1.3625v.
When playing something like Crysis, the temps hit over 60 C, and then comp freezes up. At first I thought it was the
video card, but downclocking the cpu to near stock, at 266x10, 2660mhz it worked fine, will have to get a better cooler, as
my Zalman 7000b cu can't quite cut it with overclocked e5200, was great with Pentium M CPU before.

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
I apologize if this was asked in the previous 97 pages :) but can't seem to find a definite answer. Am quite excited as my board and E5200 are due in tonight. First off, am planning to test the memory and updating bios if needed (to 2.1) and install XP SP3. Then do some burn-in tests at stock settings at 2.5GHz with my 2GB OCZ 2.3.2.5 DDR1 and ATI x1950xt AGP.

Already got the rear defogger kit so am ready to do the BSEL mod, of course, after I find out other components are stable at stock speeds.
Planning to use the stock heatsink/fan first but if needed, I can move the Zalman from the P4C800-E over.

My question really is: has anyone done the BSEL mod without upping the vcore from stock? I've read a few got 1.1625v as stock vcore. I'd like to do step-by-step mod on the CPU so if BSEL will do it, then I won't even touch vcore.

Thanks

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
Does anyone know if flashing a version 1 board with version 2 bios image will allow an E5200 to work properly on the board? As far as I can see, the V2 board supports the 5300 officially, but I don't see any indication the V1 board can handle a 5200, at least it seems mine can't.

imported_rebel

Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Ileader36
Why has no antialiasing got anything to do with Your Motherboard, or is it because of the pci-express being 4x only.
I take it You have tried latest ATI drivers.
The only reason I bought this mobo was to get maximum life from my HD3850 AGP, has no problems with Crysis
on 1280x860

I'm still ironing out issues with my mobo, a new Thermaltake Toughpower Qfan 650w has solved my not booting issue, now
I think I am having crashing problems caused by too high temps on my e5200, which is at 3.2ghz and 1.3625v.
When playing something like Crysis, the temps hit over 60 C, and then comp freezes up. At first I thought it was the
video card, but downclocking the cpu to near stock, at 266x10, 2660mhz it worked fine, will have to get a better cooler, as
my Zalman 7000b cu can't quite cut it with overclocked e5200, was great with Pentium M CPU before.

yeap im guessing the 4x pci slot not giving me enuff power its playable with AA on but the snow dots are anoying :(

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
I got the board and E5200 last night and everything works great! Installed XP Pro and did some baseline benchmarks and it definitely has great improvements over my old (but tried and true) P4C800-E with P4 3.0C oc'd to 3.45GHz. 3dMark05 gave me around 10,600+ , 3dMark06 gave 5,400+ and Aquamark gave 97,000+ for the new build. My older system only gave 3,000+ for 3dMark06, 6000+ for 3dmark05 and 64,000+ for Aquamark.

Also ran Orthos for 8hrs without any errors and max core temps hovering between 47C and 51C with the stock hsf.

Brief system specs:
4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 (not sure about bios ver. is that the one on the bottom left? Mine says v2.58)
E5200 (stock for now :) at 200x12.5) - vcore using CPU-Z shows 1.22 and drops to 1.21 sometimes. how can i see the real vcore of this CPU
2GB OCZ 2.3.2.5 DDR1 Platinum - Memtest reported no errors so far after running for 3hrs this morning.
20GB PATA
2x 200GB SATA1
ATI x1950xt AGP (oc'd to 675/702 with Zalman cooler - not too happy with temps as it reached 71 after running 3dMark 05 and 06)

I know my OCZs can run 230Mhz without a problem so maybe I'll just play around in the bios and squeeze out as much as I can. The PCI and AGP speeds are the ones I'm worried about after reading that even though you lock em to 33/66 they really don't stay locked but guess I'll just have to find that one out tonight.

At this point, looks like the system is stable and will continue to do tests this week before I venture into the BSEL mod. Hoping that my current vcore will support 266x12.5 so I don't have to raise it.

Ton87

Dec 10, 2008
I've got the same mobo and CPU as you have, francisA. (R2.0 board with the Pentium E5200)
You can read your bios version on the first page of the bios setup, somewhere above the CPU info.

Today I've been experimenting to overclock the CPU for my first time. Now I've set the bus speed at 248MHz and I have been running a Prime95 torture test in blend mode for quite a while now without getting any rounding errors. The system now works at 3.1GHz instead of 2.5, with a CPU temp of 37°C and a mobo temp of about 40°C.

Whenever I set the bus speed at 249MHz, I get a rounding error within minutes. When I set it to a higher value than 250MHz, Windows crashes when booting. Are there other settings than the bus speed I might have to change to get the CPU working stable at higher speeds?

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
I am Using E5200 with V1
E5200@3670Mhz@1.5V
Also I am using connect3d hd 4670

Great mobo with connect3d hd 4670
It work fine (with bios 2.11a)
And no change in 3dmark05 results between it and ECS P43TA2 with PCI-express 2.0

Ton87

Dec 10, 2008
Is there a way to change the voltages? My core voltage is 1.2v now.

How did you get it to run at 3,67GHz?

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
You cannot change cpu vcore voltage on this Motherboard at all, unfortunately.

To find out Your cpu's default voltage, get coretemp, but the cpuz voltage is close, I find that at idle the motherboard slightly overvolts the cpu from 1.3625 to 1.38v,
but that can drop to 1.32v under heavy load.
I have BSEL and Vpin modded my cpu for 1.3625v and am having issues with crashing, think it's too high cpu temps, it hits upwards of 60C when I crank the chip
over 3ghz.
Poor old Zalman 7000cu is not up to the task. I haven't used the stock heatsink, but maybe should have.
If You plan on getting an aftermarket cooler, I have done quite a bit of research and it seems the

Xigmatek HDT-SD964 will do the job

http://www.frostytech.com/arti...iew.cfm?articleID=2269

The best Xigmatek is the HDT-S1283 but will not fit in my case

http://www.frostytech.com/arti...iew.cfm?articleID=2233

One more thing, ver 2.58 is not the bios version, but the version of amibios being used.

Ton87

Dec 10, 2008
I don't feel comfortable with physically modding my hardware, so I'll just regard 3,1GHz as my system's maximum. I'm not a hardcore gamer anyway, so I don't really need more performance, I just don't like to wait to long for my PC to boot ;) and it's just fun trying to make it work as fast as possible while staying stable all the time.

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
First off, thanks for everyone who shared their mods as well as tips/advice.

Well, after 2 days of running stable on stock fsb and all, I decided to take the plunge and mod my E5200 to 266Mhz using the BSEL and VID mods done by many here.

I started with a VCore of 1.225v. Looks like I have less oc headroom as my vcore is already up high in the range. Was able to push fsb to 230Mhz via the BIOS but didn't proceed any further as that will drive my DDR1 to more than 15% than it's rated speed. At 230 though, it's already leaps and bounds beyond my previous setup so I was already happy but was I .......... ????

Reviewed the Intel specs for the E5000 series core2duo (thanks Ileader36 for the link and pics and the mod steps) :) and figured out which needs to be set from 0->1 and vice versa. I like to just go a hair below Intel's max vcore per spec so went with 1.3375 which turned out to be grounding both VID1 and VID4 to VSS. Of course BSEL1 -> VSS for the BSEL mod.

So last night, I decided to shut everything down, pull the E5200 and start the BSEL and VID mods. Got the rear defogger kit from Pepboys. Staring at the cpu, I was like, how in the world am I going to see what I'm doing. Looked for a magnifying glass but no go. Then I just realized, I have a high-def camcorder that I can hook up to my 42" plasma and zoom right in so I can see the pins really well, add some lighting too. It turned out to be awesome!!!

It took me 3 tries to get the defogger solution to stick where I want it to. First try was with meticulously applied low-tack blue painter's tape. Solution came off with the tape :( Second try was without the tape and used toothpick. Well it worked for the most part but I ended up with a pool of solution on one pin which then smeared into the adjacent pins. Remove and start over again. Third try was with a needle which I stole from my wife's sewing kit :). This one worked this time. Almost too little solution most of the time but never too much as the pin can only hold enough. I also needed to make sure I don't scratch those tiny little dots on the cpu or the board itself.

While waiting for it to dry, I took out my old Zalman CNPS7000-Cu cooler for my S478 and bought the 775 adapter for it and mounted on the board. Only thing I don't like with the CNPS is that it's not a PWM fan so board can't control the speed. But since I'm overclocking and raising the vcore, I figure it would be good to run it at full-speed 100% of the time and besides, it's not that noisy.

Put everything back together, plug everything back in, pushed the Power switch while praying and VOILA!!! I got 1066 FSB and cpu is running at 3325Mhz with a Vcore of 1.3375v. What a sigh of relief - this was my first attempt at modding a cpu. Booted into Windows and ran Orthos right away. Did other benchmarks and they were definitely up from stock. Played COD5 and no glitches whatsoever. Temps were good too hovering only up to 53-54C max when loaded and stayed at 35-37C idle. When Orthos was running, it hit 58C at one point but didn't stay there long.

Memory stayed at DDR400 spec as Ileader36 said so components are happy. Ran Orthos overnight for 10hrs and not a minor hiccup. Then I thought, hmm, why not up it to 290Mhz and see what happens. Well it booted up to XP but Orthos keep failing right away. So I decided to keep it at 266.

Here's some screenies that I took:

CPU-Z
CPU-Z Memory
CoreTemp
Hardware Monitor
3dmark06
3dmark 05

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
Originally posted by: Ton87
I've got the same mobo and CPU as you have, francisA. (R2.0 board with the Pentium E5200)
You can read your bios version on the first page of the bios setup, somewhere above the CPU info.

Thanks. I finally found it, it's v2.0. Initially confused as I thought that 2.0 stands for mobo rev # :)

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
Originally posted by: Ton87
I don't feel comfortable with physically modding my hardware, so I'll just regard 3,1GHz as my system's maximum. I'm not a hardcore gamer anyway, so I don't really need more performance, I just don't like to wait to long for my PC to boot ;) and it's just fun trying to make it work as fast as possible while staying stable all the time.

Took me a while to decide to do it myself. I'm the kind who reads, reads, and reads more then think, well you know how it goes, before I finally get down to doing something.

But the BSEL and VID mod are super easy and the results are very well worth the effort, at least from my perspective. Nothing like seeing a 2.5G go to 3.3G in less than an hour's worth of work.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Thats great work FrancisA, let me know how the Zalman goes over a period of time.
It's Summer where I am , so temps have hit up to 65C on cpu core, and occasionally the
computer crashes, still trying to sort out whether it is cpu temps or video card causing the problem.
Played Crysis at 3.3ghz and hd3850 at 823/954 but didn't crash last night.

BTW, there is no software that correctly reads the +12v, mine says 11.55v, but in bios is 12.23v.

francisA

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks Ileader36. I'm actually regretting I didn't go 1.3625v as you did as if I crank up the FSB to 290, Orthos fails within a few minutes. 285 is fine but fails OCCT after 15mins so I cranked it down to 266Mhz, which btw, I'm very happy about. But going to 3.6GHz (287-288fsb) is really tempting and easy (I only need to connect VID2 to VSS and done) but for a meager 8% increase over 3.33GHz, I held off :)

The ambient temps in my house right now is between 68-70F (21C) so that certainly helps in keeping the core temps around 52-54C. Was playing a Co-op Call of Duty 5 last night and it hung on me twice. Funny thing is, I played the single-player mode for an hour and it didn't miss a beat which left me scratching my head as single-player loads up the system much more than multiplayer.

Yeah on the +12v reading. On my P4C800-E, Asus Probe and other apps read the +12v as 12.1v but the Asrock reads it as +11.43 or +11.54v. Oh well, but the BIOS says 12.18v so I'm good.

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
You definitely won't get a accurate 12v reading from software with this board, it was brought up way back in the thread. I went one step further than checking the BIOS reading, I measured the 12v rail with a meter, same as the BIOS reading.

If you want an extra Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 I might be dumping mine real soon. Time to move on for me.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
Personally I wouldn't increase vcore to 1.5v, and mainly because I have heard stories that It can cause much faster degradation to the cpu, in that some people have had
the cpu's starting to fail, poor overclock, after a short period of time.
1.36v (up to 1.375 in cpuz) is enough, and my temps are hitting 67C under Prime95 with that, Ill get better cooling to fix that soon though.

Microsystem, I cannot find where FrancisA mentions anything about upping vcore to 1.5v.

I still have instability issues, could be driver related though, updated to ATI 8.12 Yesterday and was at a Lan last night, in COD4 kept getting CTD all the time, no errors at all, not even a mention in event viewer, COD5 crashed a couple of times too, got an error with that, but again no useful information. Also played Race driver 3, no probs with that. CPU was running at
3.3ghz, so I probably should have dropped it to say 3ghz to eliminate that as the cause.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
Now I decreas Vcore to Max 1.456 and frequence to 3540 (Multy=12)
before Vcore was Max 1.536 and feequency 3675. (Multy=12.5)

my system is complately Stable in that tow cases.