Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: The Fedex Pope
Yeah. 2 different IDE cables, and Im using the SATA cables that the mobo comes with. My system boots so fast I didnt see that Ctrl-z option. I have be fast on the trigger just to get into BIOS.

Well anyway I just rebooted from another BSOD. This time an 8x00000E. I was just surfing youtube and seeking through video (i.e. FF) and then it just BSOD.

Yeah, some of your problems do sound like they may stem from memory. (or a weak battery gives crazy symptoms)

Have you run memtest86+ for at least a few hours ?

RRTRACKS

Mar 30, 2008
This is my first post to these boards. Although I have spent quite a bit of time going through this thread, I cannot say that I have read the whole thing. For all that have posted here, Thank You!, the comments read so far have been very helpful. I just wish I had read them before I bought my current CPU and mobo. My level of expertise on computers is at the low end. With that in mind a brief description of what I have, in addition to a few comments and questions follow.

The mobo and CPU were purchased with the hope of getting another year or two out of my video card. From Ebay I got the CPU new in a sealed box out the door for $235, with the idea of using it when I upgrade the mobo and GPU. Maybe not the best plan, but my thinking was the Quad Core applications would be more common in a couple of years.

My System consists of:

MoBo ? ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2
Bios Version 1.7
CPU - Intel Q6600
GPU - ATI X1950 XT 256 MB AGP
Memory ? Super Talent ? 2GB (2x1GB)*
CPU Cooling ? Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R120
PSU ? Antec Earth 500Watt
OS ? Windows XP Home SP2, September, 07 Micro Code patch has been installed.

*Today I just ordered OCZ DDRII 6400 memory at Frys for $50 with a $30 rebate. If you are interested in this do a search at Fry?s site for 5436039. Sale ends 4/1. The operating timing is listed at 4-5-5. For me, after tax, shipping and the rebate hassle, the out the door price will be about $30.

Following the non-mod recommendations here I have been able to get a stable OS with a FBS of 277 and a memory speed of 333 (4-4-5-12) with flex disabled. SuperPi runs at the same speed (21 seconds for 1M) if the memory is set at 266 so, I am hoping the memory ordered with give a little boost.

Crysis runs well at 1360x768 with 6x AL, at the medium settings. With the video card I have do you think over clocking could get me to the high settings? From what I have read, the Quad does not have a noticeable speed advantage over the Duo with this game.

Mobo Bios Version 1.9 is available. Would there be any reason to update it? If it is not broken do not fix it, works for me.

Now for my bone head question: for some reason my power supply will not shut off when Windows either shuts down, or is suspended. The PSU will shut down after pushing the power switch on the case though. This was not a problem with the previous mobo. What the heck did I do wrong?

Thanks again to all that have posted on this thread. The information provided saved me a ton of headache. Any comments you could provide regarding this post would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Mar 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Sl4yer
Yeah. 2 different IDE cables, and Im using the SATA cables that the mobo comes with. My system boots so fast I didnt see that Ctrl-z option. I have be fast on the trigger just to get into BIOS.

Well anyway I just rebooted from another BSOD. This time an 8x00000E. I was just surfing youtube and seeking through video (i.e. FF) and then it just BSOD.

Try setting your memory voltage to High. I had a problem with a system recently (on a Gigabyte MB) where the RAM voltage wasn't high enough, and the system was very unstable. Upping the voltage sorted it.

I tried upping voltage to High as per suggestion from someone else on a forum. That made my system unbootable. I had to clear CMOS to get back in. I've been wondering why when I set BIOS to auto for ram settings, it doesnt select 667, instead it selects 533? I know it takes info from the SPD. I've tried using 533 to see if perhaps its 667 mode that it doesnt like but that doesnt fix anything.

I did run Memtest86+ via Ultimate Boot CD and it found errors. I let it run for a bit over 7 hours, then I had to use my system so I canceled the rest of the tests. I'll run it later tonight when I goto bed so it has more time to run, but that could be the issue all along. If so thats a rather easy fix. I've also read some things about the memory controller, and apparently quite a few ppl are having problems and their tracing it back to the memory controller itself.

This could explain the random BSOD's I've been getting. This is Kingston Value ram, brand new. Unless I can get replacement from Kingston, I could get different ram for under $40. What is everyone else using for their RAM?

Thankfully, my old system has a few DDR1 chips that I could put on this mobo. I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens. If it fixes things, I'll promply replace, after punching myself in the head for not doing sooner.

Sl4yer

Feb 5, 2008
Originally posted by: RRTRACKS
Now for my bone head question: for some reason my power supply will not shut off when Windows either shuts down, or is suspended. The PSU will shut down after pushing the power switch on the case though. This was not a problem with the previous mobo. What the heck did I do wrong?

That's a sympton of overclocking on this board unfortunately. I don't know if it's limited to the quad core, but I suspect it is. There's a reason they drop the quad core FSB down 5%!

Try overclocking in Windows using SetFSB. And if you look on page 10 of this thread, you'll find how to set it to drop the overclock for a successful shutdown.

My Q6600 runs fine at 290 FSB (when set with SetFSB). Not at 291 though! You're probably gaining nothing setting the memory at 333 either - these boards don't really like it. Have a look here: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2813&p=1

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

Try setting your memory voltage to High. I had a problem with a system recently (on a Gigabyte MB) where the RAM voltage wasn't high enough, and the system was very unstable. Upping the voltage sorted it.

I tried upping voltage to High as per suggestion from someone else on a forum. That made my system unbootable. I had to clear CMOS to get back in. I've been wondering why when I set BIOS to auto for ram settings, it doesnt select 667, instead it selects 533? I know it takes info from the SPD. I've tried using 533 to see if perhaps its 667 mode that it doesnt like but that doesnt fix anything.

I did run Memtest86+ via Ultimate Boot CD and it found errors. I let it run for a bit over 7 hours, then I had to use my system so I canceled the rest of the tests. I'll run it later tonight when I goto bed so it has more time to run, but that could be the issue all along. If so thats a rather easy fix. I've also read some things about the memory controller, and apparently quite a few ppl are having problems and their tracing it back to the memory controller itself.

This could explain the random BSOD's I've been getting. This is Kingston Value ram, brand new. Unless I can get replacement from Kingston, I could get different ram for under $40. What is everyone else using for their RAM?

Thankfully, my old system has a few DDR1 chips that I could put on this mobo. I'll do that tomorrow and see what happens. If it fixes things, I'll promply replace, after punching myself in the head for not doing sooner.

Kingston is very good on RMA's, so you shouldnt have any problems.

Dont forget to memtest the DDR1 ram too. Just because it worked fine in another system doesnt mean anything.

Im using low voltage Adata DDR2-800. Works perfect, and was $18 a gig at the time. Most people can overclock it to DDR2-950+ on other boards, so thats a bonus. The cheap Transcend is also very good memory that uses the good BrainPower PCB.

And also memtest the new sticks for hours when you get them. I had to RMA the first Adata stick when memtest found an error after 2 hours. Probably wouldnt have caused me much problems, but hey, you want the memory to be perfect.
I imagine the sticks are only tested for a few seconds at the factory.

Mar 9, 2008
Well I think I found the issue, its either the RAM itself, or the memory controller on the mobo. I replaced the Kingston with 2 256mb sticks of Crucial DDR1. I booted into XP, and installed GTLegends without errors at all. Installed Farcry, another game that would fail, and that installed too. I put back the DDR2 Kingston ram, installer failures. I seated 1 stick on one bank then the other to see if it was the slots themselves, but GTL still failed. I tried both sticks and they failed, while my old ass Crucial works like a charm. I've already filled out an RMA for the Kingston and hope they come through. If that doesnt solve these problems, this mobo is gone. Im gonna run Memtest on this new ram since it shouldnt take too long with 512mb total.

Interesting note, when I swapped RAM my Audigy 2 was undetected in XP. I had to reseat it into a different slot for it to be detected and reinstall drivers. Dont know if thats some other issue now or what, but this is Creative we're talking about.

RRTRACKS

Mar 30, 2008

That's a sympton of overclocking on this board unfortunately. I don't know if it's limited to the quad core, but I suspect it is. There's a reason they drop the quad core FSB down 5%!

Try overclocking in Windows using SetFSB. And if you look on page 10 of this thread, you'll find how to set it to drop the overclock for a successful shutdown.

My Q6600 runs fine at 290 FSB (when set with SetFSB). Not at 291 though! You're probably gaining nothing setting the memory at 333 either - these boards don't really like it. Have a look here: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2813&p=1

Sl4yer,

Thanks for the info, SetFSB works as you described. Moving from 277 to 290 is approximately a 5 percent increase and was reflected in the Super Pi test result. The time dropped from 21 ot 19 seconds (this is only reported in whole seconds).

Using the Batch file on the ealier thread you meanted did not solve the problem with my power supply shutting off. Two items, I did verify the proper directroy was in the path of the first line and that the FBS was reduced to 266. A front side bus speed of 253 was also tried to no avail.

Crysis running at AA x6 (Stated as AT x6) on my machine was in error. Changing the Shader option from High to Meduim on the Advanced Menu, turns off the AA settings on the Graphics Menu. I missed that little detail earlier. For now I am happy with the way this and the other games I have run.

Rich
Rich

steelskinz

Mar 25, 2008
Where can we found the lastest RAID drivers ?
I supose on asrock.com it's not the latest drivers just like for the chipset one.

Does someone tried to include them in a Windows Cd install ? I haven't floppy drive.

FYI :VIA 5.16A is released.

prsorfc

Mar 24, 2008
Some of you guys mentioned setfsb, i have downloaded the program but it does not list the pll for the asrock 4core dual sata mobo, i know the pll is an ics one 530008 or something like that, what did you guys do to get the program to work properly?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: prsorfc
Some of you guys mentioned setfsb, i have downloaded the program but it does not list the pll for the asrock 4core dual sata mobo, i know the pll is an ics one 530008 or something like that, what did you guys do to get the program to work properly?

Various PLL's are known to be used for 4coredual-sata2 mobos, eg, including, but not limited to, ICS953002, RTM866-485, RTM866-890.

And only way to use SETFSB is by knowing which PLL chip is used on your mobo ?

:)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

IIRC, the Setfsb website lists the pll to use. For my 4CoreDual-Sata2 I use the ICS953002DFLF clock generator. After selecting that, click on Get FSB.

Sl4yer

Feb 5, 2008
Using the Batch file on the ealier thread you meanted did not solve the problem with my power supply shutting off. Two items, I did verify the proper directroy was in the path of the first line and that the FBS was reduced to 266. A front side bus speed of 253 was also tried to no avail.

Just gave it a try on mine, and it seems to work (at 253FSB). At least, it worked once I renamed my batch file from 'Shutdown', which resulted in a continuous SetFSB loop! :eek:

Do you see SetFSB open and run when you start the batch file? I'm guessing that's how you verified the proper FSB setting was used.

Mar 9, 2008
Is it ok to get faster RAM for this mobo, or do I have to limit myself to DDR2667? I dont overclock, but after all my ram troubles I want the best ram I can get for under $50. What about voltages? Do I have to stick to 1.8v?

Peav

Nov 15, 2007
I used ddr2 800 with my sata2 board, but only 2x1GB sticks. Never tried 2GB sticks. It is best to stick with 1.8v ram as the asrock only gives about 2v max. Using non spec ram might cause booting issues.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Is it ok to get faster RAM for this mobo, or do I have to limit myself to DDR2667? I dont overclock, but after all my ram troubles I want the best ram I can get for under $50. What about voltages? Do I have to stick to 1.8v?

Sure, ddr2-800 or ddr2-1066 will be fine. But you really want low voltage 1.8v ram. The only reason the other stuff is higher voltage is that then their marketing departments can boast tighter timings. Once you boost the low voltage stuff to those levels, they also can run tighter timings.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Thanks again cpmee worked a treat :)

Well, that proves you have the same one as I do. IIRC, there may be different chips on some of the same boards.

Mar 9, 2008
Originally posted by: cpmee

Sure, ddr2-800 or ddr2-1066 will be fine. But you really want low voltage 1.8v ram. The only reason the other stuff is higher voltage is that then their marketing departments can boast tighter timings. Once you boost the low voltage stuff to those levels, they also can run tighter timings.

Well I dont do any overclocking (P4 Precott here, I might be brave with OC when I replace it with a C2D later on). I just want something thats very stable and reliable. I'm reading good stuff about Adata, specifically this pair on Newegg. I sent my RMA ticket but its going to take at least a week if not more to get my replacement ram (after I send them my defective sticks), and given my horrid experience with Kingston I think I'd rather just bite the bullet and get RAM from somewhere else. I bought the Kingston new on Ebay for $27 so its a small loss.

Quick question: Should I manually enter settings for ram or let everything up to Auto/SPD detection? I get so confused when it comes to RAM timings (because again I dont OC so I dont usually bother). Thanks for everyone's help!

2cases

Mar 31, 2008
hi peeps i'm running a pentium dual core e2180, lga775 pkg on a dual series 4core-sata2/a/asr motherboard wit 1 gb of ram but am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking... any advice on the bios setup cheers

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: 2cases
hi peeps i'm running a pentium dual core e2180, lga775 pkg on a dual series 4core-sata2/a/asr motherboard wit 1 gb of ram but am a complete noob when it comes to overclocking... any advice on the bios setup cheers

Read about 10 pages back and youll find plenty of bios setups listed. What kind of ram ? DDR1 or DDR2 and what specs does it have ? Also you should have a good psu.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: cpmee

Well I dont do any overclocking (P4 Precott here, I might be brave with OC when I replace it with a C2D later on). I just want something thats very stable and reliable. I'm reading good stuff about Adata, specifically this pair on Newegg. I sent my RMA ticket but its going to take at least a week if not more to get my replacement ram (after I send them my defective sticks), and given my horrid experience with Kingston I think I'd rather just bite the bullet and get RAM from somewhere else. I bought the Kingston new on Ebay for $27 so its a small loss.

Quick question: Should I manually enter settings for ram or let everything up to Auto/SPD detection? I get so confused when it comes to RAM timings (because again I dont OC so I dont usually bother). Thanks for everyone's help!

Yes, the above Adata are very good. Enter the timings manually, 4-4-4-12 to start at 533fsb and run memtest. If fine set to 3-3-3-9 and rerun memtest.

Like I said Kingston is very good on RMA. However, the thing with Kingston ram is you never know what youre going to get, they use many different chips even on the same ram model. Some very good, some not so good, some really poor and some have compatiblity issues with some mobos. Buying ram on Ebay is never really a good idea.

Mar 9, 2008
"Enter the timings manually, 4-4-4-12 to start at 533fsb and run memtest. If fine set to 3-3-3-9 and rerun memtest."

Is 533 Stock/Standard? Why do I need to enter 3-3-3-9 again if 4-4-4-12 works?

RRTRACKS

Mar 30, 2008

Just gave it a try on mine, and it seems to work (at 253FSB). At least, it worked once I renamed my batch file from 'Shutdown', which resulted in a continuous SetFSB loop! :eek:

Do you see SetFSB open and run when you start the batch file? I'm guessing that's how you verified the proper FSB setting was used.

Slyer4,

I modified the batch file to put the computer into sleep mode. With this modification the PSU would not go into sleep mode. When I changed it back to shutdown it worked great. Having the DRAM and AGP voltage setting at high might be the cause of this, or perhaps the mobo does not like the Q6600.

Even with two SATA 300 hard drives on my computer it takes a month to boot Windows XP. I will just have to say, ?The heck with Green?, and spin my power meter, or plan a little more before using my computer.

Rich

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
"Enter the timings manually, 4-4-4-12 to start at 533fsb and run memtest. If fine set to 3-3-3-9 and rerun memtest."

Is 533 Stock/Standard? Why do I need to enter 3-3-3-9 again if 4-4-4-12 works?

533 so that the FSB:DRAM ratio is 1:1, which is the best for this board.

3-3-3-9 is a tighter/ faster timing than 4-4-4-12 which is a tighter/faster timing than 5-5-5-15.

However, depending on the quality/nuances of the individual sticks you get, 3-3-3-9 may not be achievable, but surely 4-4-4-12 would be in almost all cases.