Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

steelskinz

Mar 25, 2008
Originally posted by: jimmor

Welcome to anandtech !

Experience of this mobo has shown that 300 is not generally possible without modding something ---> usually a mod to increase Vagp volts, and, depending on which cpu is fitted, sometimes also a mod to increase Vcore?

When using a AGP vga card, it is better to overclock the PCI-E bus to somewhere in range 112-120MHz; actual value depends on just how much above 300 your setup can overclock ---> for example, when using a 7800gs AGP card, my current 320 overclock is definitely more stable when PCI-E bus is set at 119MHz. On the other hand, when using a PCI-E vga card, it is most important that the PCI-E bus be fixed at it's 100Mhz default !

And it has been determined from peoples experiences of in-games issues, that the bios's "pci-e downstream" option should be at "Disabled" if using a pci-e vga card.

:)

thanks for the info!
I tried to put 300/295 and 290. It booted but didn't pass OCCT. Had to let my 280 which work like a charm.
I tried to put PCI E request queue VC1 to disable but didn't launch 3Dmark after that to see results.

With my 8800GT i didn't had to flash bios with a previous one to answer Budarow. :)

What is PCI delay transaction used for ? I saw it had to be put to enable with soundblaster card ? o_O

Where do we know about 4way/_way ram ? I have gskill DDR2 PC5400.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: steelskinz

Welcome to anandtech !

Experience of this mobo has shown that 300 is not generally possible without modding something ---> usually a mod to increase Vagp volts, and, depending on which cpu is fitted, sometimes also a mod to increase Vcore?

When using a AGP vga card, it is better to overclock the PCI-E bus to somewhere in range 112-120MHz; actual value depends on just how much above 300 your setup can overclock ---> for example, when using a 7800gs AGP card, my current 320 overclock is definitely more stable when PCI-E bus is set at 119MHz. On the other hand, when using a PCI-E vga card, it is most important that the PCI-E bus be fixed at it's 100Mhz default !

And it has been determined from peoples experiences of in-games issues, that the bios's "pci-e downstream" option should be at "Disabled" if using a pci-e vga card.

thanks for the info!
I tried to put 300/295 and 290. It booted but didn't pass OCCT. Had to let my 280 which work like a charm.
I tried to put PCI E request queue VC1 to disable but didn't launch 3Dmark after that to see results.

With my 8800GT i didn't had to flash bios with a previous one to answer Budarow. :)

What is PCI delay transaction used for ? I saw it had to be put to enable with soundblaster card ? o_O

Where do we know about 4way/_way ram ? I have gskill DDR2 PC5400.

Steelskinz...what brand/model of 8800GT do you use in the 4CoreDual?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: prsorfc
I too am new to the forums, and i have a 4coredual sata 2 mobo, but i can`t get it to OC more than about 220? Surely i should be able to get it up higher than that, btw i have a e2160 cpu, a MSI 7300le pcie card and 1 gb of budget ram, i am tempted to try the mod that everybody is talking about but i don`t know. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated thanks....

What budget ram are you using ? 220 is very low, even before the bsel mod.

Yep, the bsel mod helped me, and its easy to do since the pins to mod are on the side of the chip.

prsorfc

Mar 24, 2008
I am using Vdata ddr2 667 ram, i bought it for about £13, ihave played around with the bios settings but still no joy, anyway i don`t really know which settings to choose..

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Budarow
However, it's nice that the 3870 can be installed "as is" in a 4CoreDual with no messing around with BIOS updates for the video card (e.g., most 8800GTs).

That should be changing soon as NVidia has released new reference BIOSes that take care of the issue. Most (if not all) EVGA's now ship with a version that's compatible with the 4Core board (as well as the 775Dual-VSTA board). I received MSI's version of NVidia 62.92.23.xx.xx for the 8800GT and it works fine on the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board (now). It might take a short while until the older BIOS flashed cards work their way out of the system though.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Engineer
However, it's nice that the 3870 can be installed "as is" in a 4CoreDual with no messing around with BIOS updates for the video card (e.g., most 8800GTs).

That should be changing soon as NVidia has released new reference BIOSes that take care of the issue. Most (if not all) EVGA's now ship with a version that's compatible with the 4Core board (as well as the 775Dual-VSTA board). I received MSI's version of NVidia 62.92.23.xx.xx for the 8800GT and it works fine on the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board (now). It might take a short while until the older BIOS flashed cards work their way out of the system though.

And if like me you happen to have a Palit/Expertvision 8800gt, then currently to use it with a 4coredual mobo requires flashing it with either a MSI 62.92.23.xx.xx or EVGA 62.92.24.xx.xx series bios after you have used NiBiTor to first change it's TimingSet2 (timing0-timing9) values to be same as the TimingSet1 values of your card's original bios!

Unfortunately Customer Services for this card are not currently interested in discussing, far less fixing, this particular issue !

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
I am using Vdata ddr2 667 ram, i bought it for about £13, ihave played around with the bios settings but still no joy, anyway i don`t really know which settings to choose..

Try these to start:
Run memtest86 for at least a few hours to test the memory.

Chipset Configuration
==================================================
DRAM Frequency [266MHz (DDRII533) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [4]
DRAM Bank Interleave [4-Way]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [4T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [12T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [4T]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [28T]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [2T]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [Auto]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [2T]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [3T]
DRAM Bus Selection [Dual Channel] (If using 2 sticks)
DRAM Command Rate [2T Command]
> Advanced Memory Configuration [Untouched]
> Advanced Host Configuration [Untouched] Except for Pipeline DRQCTL Enabled

DRAM Voltage [Low]
AGP Voltage [High]

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

And if like me you happen to have a Palit/Expertvision 8800gt, then currently to use it with a 4coredual mobo requires flashing it with either a MSI 62.92.23.xx.xx or EVGA 62.92.24.xx.xx series bios after you have used NiBiTor to first change it's TimingSet2 (timing0-timing9) values to be same as the TimingSet1 values of your card's original bios!

Unfortunately Customer Services for this card are not currently interested in discussing, far less fixing, this particular issue !

MSI USA didn't want to discuss it either. However, MSI Taiwan was very willing to discuss this and sent me a BIOS fix after a few days. But other than that, you're right. You'll need to use another brand BIOS and NiBiTor to correct the issue, not to mention you'll need another board to flash this card in as you can't boot with it installed (or at least I couldn't).

Mar 9, 2008
The mobo came yesterday and I installed everything. It has a P4 Prescott 2.8ghz (non-oc'd), 2gb of Kingston Value Ram @ DDR2667 dual channel, 1 Maxtor 200gb ATA133 HD, NEC 3520AW DVD-RW. HD is on IDE1 Primary, DVDRW is on IDE2 Secondary, both masters.

I did a fresh install of XP Pro with Sp2 and all updates, drivers etc. I was having some weird issues with my Macally PHR100AC external enclosure that has a 320gb Seagate. I use Firewire/USB2 via a Zonet PCI card and I've never had any issues on my older system until I got things running today. I've had several BSODs. Last night while just surfing and listening to Mp3s on the external, I got a BSOD with the hex 0x7F. A reboot later I couldnt reproduce the problem.

Some programs on the external drive complained of being corrupted. I had some images I made of old games my nephew likes to play, like Cars, MotoGP, Surfs Up etc. All failed. Usually they'll go through the process halfway then bomb towards the end. Other programs have no problem at all. I had a copy of CmdHere.msi from the Powertoys pack or whatever it was. I got a corruption error as soon as I executed it, so its not just large ISO files or images. It seems totally random. I seem to have ironed out the Firewire issues. USB2 worked great, but Firewire would lock up, crash etc. I changed adapter to a different PCI slot and switched around cables and it seems to work fine now.

2 games Im having trouble installing are Simbin's GTR2 and GTLegends. GTR2 complained of a corrupt file on the 2nd CD. I had to retry several times before it finished installing. GTLegends wont get past the 1st CD. Sometimes it'll fail right away, sometimes in the middle of the process. Both are getting the SAME errors. I dug out an old computer with an uber old DVD drive and GTLegends installed perfectly. I have absolutely NO reason to believe discs are damaged at all. I just reinstalled GTLegends last week and had no issues.

Needless to say all of this is pissing me off. I've replaced the IDE cables with new ones that came with my mobo. No difference. I tried going into BIOS and changing the DVDRW from UDMA-2 to Multiword DMA2. No help. I tried making an image of GTLegends and it still failed. I tried a DVD disc (Toca Race Driver 3) that I know works, and that failed as well!

I have no idea whats going on. I've installed all the latest drivers, Hyperion VIA chipset drivers, SP2 + everything thats come after it etc. I get errors in Event Viewer about the CDRom having a bad block but I know the CDs/DVDs are just fine. Is it something with Atapi, ASPI etc? I figured XP SP2 should have all that covered. I know its not the media itself, and I'm positive the DVD drive itself is just fine. Just to make sure I'll use the older DVD drive I have and put it in the system to see if it affects it as well. I would be so grateful if someone could give me some help here, thanks!

edit:

Just an idea, would my temps or PSU be to blame? The PSU I had to dig out from my old comp, a 450w I believe (generic). I wanted to get a PSU from Ebay but I couldnt find any that I could afford so I had to get reuse the PSU from my old system (that powered an XP2000+). Im starting to suspect that 12+ thats reporting 11.31. Could that be the culprit? The PSU says its P4 certified but like I said its some cheap generic that came with my old case. Perhaps I'm straying from this forum and need to post elsewhere, but I'd like to resolve whether this is a software or hardware problem.

The temps are posted below via Hardware Monitor:

CPUID Hardware Monitor 1.0.8.0
-----------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model 4CoreDual-SATA2. (0x4F9 - 0x725FB4F0)

LPCIO
Vendor Winbond
Model W83697HF
Vendor ID 0x5CA3
Chip ID 0x60
Revision ID 0x12
Config Mode I/O address 0x2E

Hardware monitor

Winbond W83697HF hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 0 1.36 Volts [0x55] (CPU VCore)
Voltage sensor 1 3.33 Volts [0xD0] (AUX)
Voltage sensor 2 2.98 Volts [0xBA] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 3 4.97 Volts [0xB9] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 11.31 Volts [0xBA] (+12V)
Temperature sensor 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 1 37°C (97°F) [0x49] (TMPIN1)
Fan sensor 1 1918 RPM [0x58] (FANIN1)

Hardware monitor

GeForce 6800 GT hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 56°C (132°F) [0x38] (GPU Core)

Maxtor 6L200P0 hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (HDD)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 2

Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0
-- Thread 1

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Pentium 4 521
Codename Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
CPUID F.4.9
Extended CPUID F.4
Core Stepping G1
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2793.3 MHz (14.0 x 199.5 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 798.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2800 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no

prsorfc

Mar 24, 2008
Is there any other program you would suggest to test the memory, i don`t have a floppy drive and memtest is only a bootable iso floppy image.. changed the settings that you suggested m/c booted up fine, everything looks ok fsb set at 225, will try higher. BTW i am using a pciE card do i still change agp voltage to high? Manage to get the fsb up to 245 but windows wouldn`t load ntoskernel fault changed down to 235, boots up as normal.

AndroidVageta

Banned
Mar 22, 2008
I just need some help on a problem I'm having...well not really a problem, more like a question. Currently as my sig says I've got a pretty decent system but was thinking about upgrading graphics cards even though I bought this board just so that I could continue using my AGP X1950Pro but as luck would have it a buddy of mine is selling his used ATi 3780 for $125. Question is, considering the 4x PCI-e slot and my decent though still slightly underpowered CPU compared with the more pricier CPU's out there would I notice a BIG difference in games if I got the 3780? I'm pretty happy with my X1950Pro now that it doesn't seem to be as badly bottlenecked (if at all) like it was on my ancient AMD64 3200+ so would a 3780 be worth it? If it would be worth it anyone interested in a X1950Pro ;-)

Thanks guys in advanced!

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

MSI USA didn't want to discuss it either. However, MSI Taiwan was very willing to discuss this and sent me a BIOS fix after a few days. But other than that, you're right. You'll need to use another brand BIOS and NiBiTor to correct the issue, not to mention you'll need another board to flash this card in as you can't boot with it installed (or at least I couldn't).

Yes, because of what we now know, there is no point in anybody buying a 8800gt unless either they, know the 8800gt in question is already upgraded to be truly compatible with ALL pci-e generations of mobo, or, have access to a mobo (for flashing) that is known to cope with a "bad" 8800gt, should they be unfortunate enough to end up with one?

No point in buying an expensive doorstop that you don't really need !

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Is there any other program you would suggest to test the memory, i don`t have a floppy drive and memtest is only a bootable iso floppy image.. changed the settings that you suggested m/c booted up fine, everything looks ok fsb set at 225, will try higher. BTW i am using a pciE card do i still change agp voltage to high? Manage to get the fsb up to 245 but windows wouldn`t load ntoskernel fault changed down to 235, boots up as normal.

Look on the memtest86+ download page, there is an bootable cd image too.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, because of what we now know, there is no point in anybody buying a 8800gt unless either they, know the 8800gt in question is already upgraded to be truly compatible with ALL pci-e generations of mobo, or, have access to a mobo (for flashing) that is known to cope with a "bad" 8800gt, should they be unfortunate enough to end up with one?

No point in buying an expensive doorstop that you don't really need !

I don't disagree with you. The problem is that we all "don't know" when we purchase many of these items. I sure didn't and was floored to find out after I tried to install it and it didn't work. I was fortunate in that I had another board, found the NiBiTor program and website, and MSI sent me (finally) a new BIOS. If not, I would have also had a "doorstop". Points well taken. ;)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@FedexPope

Just an idea, would my temps or PSU be to blame? The PSU I had to dig out from my old comp, a 450w I believe (generic). I wanted to get a PSU from Ebay but I couldnt find any that I could afford so I had to get reuse the PSU from my old system (that powered an XP2000+). Im starting to suspect that 12+ thats reporting 11.31.

Very well could be. An old generic 450w psu is almost certain to give you problems shortly.
Ebay ones would be suspect too, so be careful.

A quality psu is the life-blood of any system.

Mar 9, 2008
I reformatted, reinstalled XP and SP2. I have not installed the VIA Hyperion drivers. I did disable Hyperthreading before installing XP. I downloaded SP2 previously and when I tried to install it gave me a file corrupt error. I had to redownload it and it worked on the second try.

I tried installing GTLegends, and it still friggin failed. I just tried downloading Firefox, and when I tried to run it it said "Extraction Failed, File is Corrupt". I havent installed any AV or firewalls (except for SP2's firewall). I downloaded FF again, and it gives me no errors, so I dont know wtf is the problem. Could it be that Im using the onboard NIC and thats screwing things up? All I've installed is XP SP2 with updates, my graphics driver and thats it. I should NOT be having this problems installing from CD or indeed with any program that I try to install on such a fresh install.

2 days already spent trying to fix this goddamn issue. I'm ruling out the PSU or Ram as the culprit. I'll try a different HD (same model really just smaller in size) to see if that makes any difference though I cant imagine why. I'm starting to form the opinion that this mobo sucks. I've never had such stupid issues before. Im not overclocking or anything, and I know my hardware is fine, even the PSU. I'm starting to regret buying this thing.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: The Fedex Pope
I reformatted, reinstalled XP and SP2. I have not installed the VIA Hyperion drivers. I did disable Hyperthreading before installing XP. I downloaded SP2 previously and when I tried to install it gave me a file corrupt error. I had to redownload it and it worked on the second try.

I tried installing GTLegends, and it still friggin failed. I just tried downloading Firefox, and when I tried to run it it said "Extraction Failed, File is Corrupt". I havent installed any AV or firewalls (except for SP2's firewall). I downloaded FF again, and it gives me no errors, so I dont know wtf is the problem. Could it be that Im using the onboard NIC and thats screwing things up? All I've installed is XP SP2 with updates, my graphics driver and thats it. I should NOT be having this problems installing from CD or indeed with any program that I try to install on such a fresh install.

2 days already spent trying to fix this goddamn issue. I'm ruling out the PSU or Ram as the culprit. I'll try a different HD (same model really just smaller in size) to see if that makes any difference though I cant imagine why. I'm starting to form the opinion that this mobo sucks. I've never had such stupid issues before. Im not overclocking or anything, and I know my hardware is fine, even the PSU. I'm starting to regret buying this thing.

Every time you install a new mobo or OS, you MUST install the mobo's device drivers?

The "4 in 1" device drivers on the mobo's CD worked just fine for me, so for now it shouldn't be necessary to go looking for anything better ?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
The mobo came yesterday and I installed everything. It has a P4 Prescott 2.8ghz (non-oc'd), 2gb of Kingston Value Ram @ DDR2667 dual channel, 1 Maxtor 200gb ATA133 HD, NEC 3520AW DVD-RW. HD is on IDE1 Primary, DVDRW is on IDE2 Secondary, both masters.

I did a fresh install of XP Pro with Sp2 and all updates, drivers etc. I was having some weird issues with my Macally PHR100AC external enclosure that has a 320gb Seagate. I use Firewire/USB2 via a Zonet PCI card and I've never had any issues on my older system until I got things running today. I've had several BSODs. Last night while just surfing and listening to Mp3s on the external, I got a BSOD with the hex 0x7F. A reboot later I couldnt reproduce the problem.

Some programs on the external drive complained of being corrupted. I had some images I made of old games my nephew likes to play, like Cars, MotoGP, Surfs Up etc. All failed. Usually they'll go through the process halfway then bomb towards the end. Other programs have no problem at all. I had a copy of CmdHere.msi from the Powertoys pack or whatever it was. I got a corruption error as soon as I executed it, so its not just large ISO files or images. It seems totally random. I seem to have ironed out the Firewire issues. USB2 worked great, but Firewire would lock up, crash etc. I changed adapter to a different PCI slot and switched around cables and it seems to work fine now.

2 games Im having trouble installing are Simbin's GTR2 and GTLegends. GTR2 complained of a corrupt file on the 2nd CD. I had to retry several times before it finished installing. GTLegends wont get past the 1st CD. Sometimes it'll fail right away, sometimes in the middle of the process. Both are getting the SAME errors. I dug out an old computer with an uber old DVD drive and GTLegends installed perfectly. I have absolutely NO reason to believe discs are damaged at all. I just reinstalled GTLegends last week and had no issues.

Needless to say all of this is pissing me off. I've replaced the IDE cables with new ones that came with my mobo. No difference. I tried going into BIOS and changing the DVDRW from UDMA-2 to Multiword DMA2. No help. I tried making an image of GTLegends and it still failed. I tried a DVD disc (Toca Race Driver 3) that I know works, and that failed as well!

I have no idea whats going on. I've installed all the latest drivers, Hyperion VIA chipset drivers, SP2 + everything thats come after it etc. I get errors in Event Viewer about the CDRom having a bad block but I know the CDs/DVDs are just fine. Is it something with Atapi, ASPI etc? I figured XP SP2 should have all that covered. I know its not the media itself, and I'm positive the DVD drive itself is just fine. Just to make sure I'll use the older DVD drive I have and put it in the system to see if it affects it as well. I would be so grateful if someone could give me some help here, thanks!

edit:

Just an idea, would my temps or PSU be to blame? The PSU I had to dig out from my old comp, a 450w I believe (generic). I wanted to get a PSU from Ebay but I couldnt find any that I could afford so I had to get reuse the PSU from my old system (that powered an XP2000+). Im starting to suspect that 12+ thats reporting 11.31. Could that be the culprit? The PSU says its P4 certified but like I said its some cheap generic that came with my old case. Perhaps I'm straying from this forum and need to post elsewhere, but I'd like to resolve whether this is a software or hardware problem.

The temps are posted below via Hardware Monitor:

CPUID Hardware Monitor 1.0.8.0

Mainboard Model 4CoreDual-SATA2. (0x4F9 - 0x725FB4F0)

LPCIO
Vendor Winbond
Model W83697HF
Vendor ID 0x5CA3
Chip ID 0x60
Revision ID 0x12
Config Mode I/O address 0x2E

Hardware monitor

Winbond W83697HF hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 0 1.36 Volts [0x55] (CPU VCore)
Voltage sensor 1 3.33 Volts [0xD0] (AUX)
Voltage sensor 2 2.98 Volts [0xBA] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 3 4.97 Volts [0xB9] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 11.31 Volts [0xBA] (+12V)

Temperature sensor 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 1 37°C (97°F) [0x49] (TMPIN1)
Fan sensor 1 1918 RPM [0x58] (FANIN1)

Hardware monitor

GeForce 6800 GT hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 56°C (132°F) [0x38] (GPU Core)

Maxtor 6L200P0 hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 33°C (91°F) [0x21] (HDD)

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 2

Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0
-- Thread 1

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Pentium 4 521
Codename Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
CPUID F.4.9
Extended CPUID F.4
Core Stepping G1
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2793.3 MHz (14.0 x 199.5 MHz)
Rated Bus speed 798.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2800 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no

If the listed psu readings are actually true, then both your 3.3v and 12v readings are below their -5% spec minimums ?

This suggests you should see if you get same indications using something like Everest. Or even better, go straight to trying another PSU ?

Mar 9, 2008

Every time you install a new mobo or OS, you MUST install the mobo's device drivers?

The "4 in 1" device drivers on the mobo's CD worked just fine for me, so for now it shouldn't be necessary to go looking for anything better ?

I know, I just didnt install it to see if it was a problem with VIA drivers themselves.

Anyway I put in my old HD that still had XP installed from the old system and put it in the new rig. Aside from the million "new hardware found" pop ups I got I was able to install GTLegends just fine. No errors, so I know the disc and the drive work. For some reason I couldn't do it before under a fresh install previously. So I formatted that older drive and installed XP. However I was getting several XP errors, some files saying they were corrupt etc. I told XP to format both drives, but when it finished it gave me an error saying it was unable to verify the drive due to being out of memory. I've never seen such errors before. I then chose to format just 1 drive with a smaller partition for the OS only, and that seemed to work.

So now I'm on my 3rd fresh install of XP typing this. I haven't gotten any bad errors yet. I put in the GTLegends CD and it gave me no errors, so I'm hoping I solved whatever was troubling me before. The only glaring issue I seem to be having is with the XP bootup screen. Sometimes its really streched, as in totally unreadable. Other times its fine. Dont know what that means. Sigh, maybe I should try Vista soon.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
@ The Fedex Pope

The only glaring issue I seem to be having is with the XP bootup screen. Sometimes its really streched, as in totally unreadable. Other times its fine. Dont know what that means.

Did you install the nvidia drivers ?

Did you install the molex to the 6800GT ?

Low voltages could also be sagging the video card, especially on system startup.

Mar 9, 2008
Yes, all drivers installed. The card is setup properly. There are no artifacts anywhere else, just during the boot screen. Sometimes its fine, other times its really stretched. Only seemed to happen after I installed SP2.