Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: wineo
HI all,

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their help. :)

I don't know what happened, I didn't touch my HS, My temps have gone down to 60c while doing blend. I think they were about 66c.

I've been stable for 16.2 hrs now. I think I?m stable. YeAH BaBY!!!

I'm at 1.8 vagp. I played around with my bios settings. Only thing that really stands out is I enabled vlink = fast. wierd.

Anyway I?m totally happy. I'll see if I can improve my temps and noise. But I?m done. That was a hell of a 2 weeks.

Thanks again to Jimmor and EvErYoNe for their help

later

If youre using AS5 or Ceramique or something similar, the thermal paste may have settled.

If youre stable for 16 hours, I would say thats good enough. Besides, after that length of time running good, it could have just been a power line qlitch that upset the stability.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: lowrider69
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: lowrider69
Ive found HWmonitor shows voltages much closer to true than any other program on this board.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

TMPIN0 is the System Temp, and TMPIN1 seems to be the Cpu Case Temp.

Even that program shows lower 12v readings than my BIOS.

Yes it does, but the bios reading is higher than a VOM meter reading. Thats why I say HWmonitor is closer to true.

Really? I heard that software monitoring tools are usually inaccurate and the BIOS readings are more accurate. In fact from what i've been reading on other forums people say both are useless(software being more so) and that a meter is the only way to go.

Edit, o.k. just broke out my meter, 12v was 12.12..bios is dead on. SpeedFan, HWmonitor are off. Glad I did this, peace of mind goes a long way.

Every other app says my 12v rail is 11.29, hwmon says it?s about 11.4 and it jumps up to 12.1x. I thought they were all off. Bios should be the most accurate.

On most mobos, thats generally true. Sadly not on this one. My bios readings are off from the meter. I think it stems from from the fact this mobo uses the W83697HG monitoring chip, yet it looks like they (and most monitoring programs) program it like a W83697F.

Feb 23, 2008
I'm waiting for my new fans to arrive, I think it all maybe temp related. I hope it?s just that anyway.

Really weird about the floppy not being able to read the sata driver during f6, also I can't start 3dmark for some reason. Still looking into this, haven?t had much time lately. But I used the 3dmark 06 from my Asus mobo, which executed with an asus.exe

Hope I didn't fry it, seems stable enough though. Just these weird little bugs.

Cpmee, I was talking generally, and I though it was the same with this board. For me at least all the 12v (I think 5v too) are off the readings I get from the MM.

Anyway I really need some advice. Since I?m not using my pcie slot, is it safe to buy a raid pcie x1 sata2 card?

Will it affect my agp speed at all?

Does agp or pci have any link with the pcie lanes on this board? I couldn?t find a diagram to check it out.

I really need hot plug function, so I was thinking using my current sata2 drives on the raid card along with maybe a couple more in the near future, and leaving the sata2 ports on the mobo for hot plugging.

?
:)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Anyway I really need some advice. Since I?m not using my pcie slot, is it safe to buy a raid pcie x1 sata2 card?

Will it affect my agp speed at all?

Does agp or pci have any link with the pcie lanes on this board? I couldn?t find a diagram to check it out.

Yes, get the raid pcie x1 sata2 card and a 1000x microscope.

The performance hit to agp will be so small, youll need the microscope to measure it. :laugh:

Redownload 3Dmark06

brokencase

Oct 7, 2007
I bought a Bilateral IDE/SATA adapter. Mail ordered it cheap from Hong Kong (I think it was $6 USD or so) I still have an older IDE drive and I thought it would be nice to get rid of the ribbon cable. Although I also have a newer SATA drive that I normally boot off of.

Anyway, the little board is based on the Sunplus SATAlink chip.

So far no luck with it. When I boot up with it installed, the BIOS freezes at the video bios sign on message. Weird, especially since the primary boot drive is a real SATA.

I thought maybe I would try hot swapping it next. Although this is not very useful for me.

Just thought I would post this as a general "word to the wise" for my fellow ASROCK DUAL SATA2 users...

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
My Abit serielle ide to sata adapters work fine on this board.

Ive used them for 5 years without a single problem.

Dynomike

Feb 26, 2008
Can anyone help me overclock on my ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2? I have:
Pentium D 930 (3.0Ghz Dual Core with 800Mhz FSB)
Wintec DDR2 533Mhz (PC-4200) Dual Channal RAM (4 Cas Latency)
ATI Radeon X1650 512Mb 128-bit AGP 8x IceQ (24 Pixel Pipelines)
Apevia 500W Power Supply (2x120mm fans)
Two Apevia Case Fans
60 gig ATA 133 IBM HD
15 gig ATA 133 Maxtor HD
My computer generally runs at 34C (93F)

If any other specs are needed let me know. I cannot figure out how to over clock on this mobo.It says it has some United Overclocking Ability. Not idea what that is but I just need anyhelp with overclocking in the bios. I still have the stock bios version. I didn't want to mess with anthing till I get some instructions. Any tip or whatever would be great.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
It says it has some United Overclocking Ability.

That means you can lock the pcie, pci and agp busses so that youre not overclocking other components.

Feb 23, 2008
The performance hit to agp will be so small, youll need the microscope to measure it. :laugh:

Great info Cpmee. I was just going to get a (non cheap) 2 port sata2 pci card but I thought the pcie 4 port is only $50 more so I might as well go for that, Since it may come in handy with later upgrades.

It?s funny, just about everything connected to the mobo is at least 2 times more expensive than the mobo. :laugh:

This is a first for me.

Brokencase, I already have a cheap Ite ide-R card in it now. It works perfectly, I can even boot from it if I wanted.

Dynomike

Feb 26, 2008
That means you can lock the pcie, pci and agp busses so that youre not overclocking other components.

Thats good to know. Thanks. Do you have any tips for actually overclocking my rig though?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: brokencase
wineo, cmpee,

I keep thinking that maybe I am doing something wrong with the adapter. I am going to try again here in a moment.

Here is the one I am trying to get to work:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5458

Have you plugged in the power to it ?
Are you using the correct sata port on it , I think one is in and one is out ?

It could just be defective, what kind of build quality/quality control do you expect for $6.65 ?? :laugh:

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Dynomike
Can anyone help me overclock on my ASRock 4CoreDual SATA2? I have:
Pentium D 930 (3.0Ghz Dual Core with 800Mhz FSB)
Wintec DDR2 533Mhz (PC-4200) Dual Channal RAM (4 Cas Latency)
ATI Radeon X1650 512Mb 128-bit AGP 8x IceQ (24 Pixel Pipelines)
Apevia 500W Power Supply (2x120mm fans)
Two Apevia Case Fans
60 gig ATA 133 IBM HD
15 gig ATA 133 Maxtor HD
My computer generally runs at 34C (93F)

If any other specs are needed let me know. I cannot figure out how to over clock on this mobo.It says it has some United Overclocking Ability. Not idea what that is but I just need anyhelp with overclocking in the bios. I still have the stock bios version. I didn't want to mess with anthing till I get some instructions. Any tip or whatever would be great.

You could try these settings for an overclock to 3.75ghz which should be fine with the stock heatsink and stock voltage and 2 sticks of your ram. :

1st, clear your CMOS and load optimized defaults, then make these settings.

Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Bios Version 1.80
CPU Configuration
==================================================
CPU Host Frequency [Manual]
Actual Frequency (MHz) [250]
PCIE Clock [100 MHz]
AGP/PCI Clock [66/33 MHz]
Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
Boot Failure Guard [Enabled]

Ratio Acutal Value 15

Max CPUID Value Limit [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protection [Disabled]

Chipset Configuration
==================================================
DRAM Frequency [266MHz (DDRII533) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [4]
DRAM Bank Interleave [4-Way]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [4T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [12T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [4T]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [28T]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [2T]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [Auto]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [2T]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [4T]
DRAM Bus Selection [Dual Channel]
DRAM Command Rate [2T Command]
> Advanced Memory Configuration [Untouched]
> Advanced Host Configuration [Untouched] Except for Pipeline DRQCTL Enabled

DRAM Voltage [Auto]
AGP Voltage [High]

Primary Graphics Adaptor [AGP]
AGP Mode [8x]
AGP Fast Write [Enabled]
AGP Aperture Size [256MB]
AGP Staggered Delay [Auto]
AGP GADSTB Output Delay [Auto]
AGP 3.0 Calibration [Enabled]
AGP 3.0 DBI Function [Auto]
DBI Output for AGP Trans. [Enabled]
DBI Output for FRAME Trans. [Auto]

V-Link Speed [Normal]
V-Link disable [Enabled]

PCI Delay Transaction [Enabled]
IDE Drive Strength [Normal]
PCIE Downstream Pipeline [Auto]
OnBoard LAN [Disabled] * If you want use, then Enabled
OnBoard HD Audio [Enabled]
Front Panel [Disabled]
CD-In [Disabled]
Echo TPR Disable [Auto]

Save and reboot.

Dynomike

Feb 26, 2008
Thanks a bunch. This is really helpful. My arctic Silver 5 thermal compound is coming in tomorrow. Could I go any faster?

Dynomike

Feb 26, 2008
My bios is ver1.70 and it says I need a bootable floppy to update on the website. I have a floppy and 2 4 pin floppy power connectors but one goes to power my graphics card(odd I know) and the other wont reach. Is there any other way to do it? Also did you tell my how to overclock my graphics card. I already overclocked it with Riva Tuner. I went ahead and set everything like you said and the only difference was that there was no CD-In. It had some stability problems at 250 so I backed it down to 240. I think it was stability at least. I got a blue screen during start up. at 250 my temp went to 49C. Could I go higher? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help. I can already tell a huge difference.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Dynomike
My bios is ver1.70 and it says I need a bootable floppy to update on the website. I have a floppy and 2 4 pin floppy power connectors but one goes to power my graphics card(odd I know) and the other wont reach. Is there any other way to do it? Also did you tell my how to overclock my graphics card. I already overclocked it with Riva Tuner. I went ahead and set everything like you said and the only difference was that there was no CD-In. It had some stability problems at 250 so I backed it down to 240. I think it was stability at least. I got a blue screen during start up. at 250 my temp went to 49C. Could I go higher? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help. I can already tell a huge difference.

Yeah, use Riva Tuner or ATItool to overclock the video card. I like ATItool better just for overclocking, but Riva Tuner has other features too.

Put the Artic Silver thermal paste on it according to their website instructions and let in settle in for a while. You should then get better temps and may be able to go higher.

Run memtest86 for at least a few passes to test the memory. If it fails, try raising the dimm voltage and/or changing :

DRAM CAS# Latency [4]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [4T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [12T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [4T]

to

DRAM CAS# Latency [5]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [5T]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [18T]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [5T]

and then raise the > Actual Frequency (MHz) [240] to a higher number 5mhz at a time.

Odd that you dont have the CD-In option, no biggie though.

Feb 23, 2008
wineo, cmpee,

I keep thinking that maybe I am doing something wrong with the adapter. I am going to try again here in a moment.

It could just be defective, what kind of build quality/quality control do you expect for $6.65 ?? :laugh:

Try plugging it into a different pci slot.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
wineo, cmpee,

Try plugging it into a different pci slot.

Thats not going to do much good, since his isnt a pci card. :laugh:
His adapter plugs into the back of an ide hard drive.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
WOW!
Anyone hear or use this:
Intel Q6400 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6400 2.13GHz 8M Quad Core 4MX2 CACHE 1066MHz Socket LGA 775

Price is Only 189 US $

Feb 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Microsystem
WOW!
Anyone hear or use this:
Intel Q6400 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6400 2.13GHz 8M Quad Core 4MX2 CACHE 1066MHz Socket LGA 775

Price is Only 189 US $

I got that in my other rig

Dynomike

Feb 26, 2008
Thanks a bunch. You saved me a buttload of time. With the arctic silver 5, do you think I could reach 4Ghz? Or is that to high of a goal? Again thanks so much.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
WOW!
Anyone hear or use this:

Price is Only 189 US $

I want to find Overclock capability of Q6400 and 4coredualsataII

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
WOW!
Anyone hear or use this:

Price is Only 189 US $

I want to find Overclock capability of Q6400 and 4coredualsataII

Not good with only a 8X multiplier. 8 times 300mhz = 2.4ghz, if youre lucky.