Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Ryuganteng
i'm using x800gto right now and run just fine.
but before i'm using x800, i bought x600 256mb and made my comp can't boot up, and later, i test my x600 on my friends mobo. it runs fine... is there anyway that i can run my x600 on my 4core dual sataII?

thanks

Try increasing the agp voltage in bios, while the x800 card is in it. Then try the x600 after saving.

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
A bit of tweaking nets me this:

3400 MHz

I had a dead computer on my hands for a couple of days. No boot. Pulled the cpu, cleaned off everything but the BSEL mod. No go. I was shopping around for a new 4500 when I switched on the computer with no heatsink. It booted right up. Right! Installed the heatsink and tried again. No boot. the clamping force of the Gigabyte cooler was enough to open up a trace or short something out. I took a bit of tension out of the mount and the computer ran normally again. Naturally, instead of leaving well enough alone, I promptly volt-modded it to 1.55v, took AGP up to 2.0v and got it posting all the way to 3.7GHz. This was stretching it way too far. I could only get stability below 3.5GHz. It is running hot at 75C at 100% utuilization, but for normal use, I am in the mid 50's, still hotter than I like, but it runs fine.

Ryuganteng

Jan 11, 2008
raising AGP vltage? my x600 is pcie.
do you mean raising pcie voltage ? and at waht speed should i adjust ?

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
How come my system get unstable when i set my ram in DDR2 667 mode,
I get a very low frame rate, couple sec freezes and or complete freezes.

Do i also need to adjust timings and other DDR related options manually?
I left them @ auto, since i dont know much about this.
I was looking for my ram spec's,
and this is what i found.

Kingston KVR667D2N5K2/2G
Description: 2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2)
Detailed Specifications: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 667MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL5)

And my Audigy is working fine right now, causing no more lockups.
only massive crack/pop noises while gaming, found no way to fix this :(
In windows its fine just a little non annoying crack noise

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
This family of boards (or the VIA PT880 ultra chip) dislikes async DDR2 memory ratios (can't speak for DDR).
Most benchmarks, like the ones for the 775Dual VSTA, show better performance for 1:1 memory speeds.
As far as Audigy issues, make sure you are running the latest drivers. This issue was addressed in a prior
driver release. You might need to try another PCI slot if that doesn't correct it.

Tantalum

Dec 11, 2007
As others have said, AGP volts = Northbridge volts. I can feel a noticeable difference in the temperature of the NB heatsink, but it is nowhere near too high. I raised AGP voltage by pencilling the appropriate resistor. I also pencil-modded the CPU, it works fine. I used a mechanical pencil .5mm wide to fit into the tiny pins. Remember to have your AGP voltage set to high before you pencil the resistor so you don't go way overvoltage by pencilling it in at low settings to 2.0V, then settting the AGP volts to High in bios.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/show...?p=2409476&postcount=1

Again, as others have said before, you measure AGP volts from the top leg of the MOSFET between the PCIE and AGP slots.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Tantalum
As others have said, AGP volts = Northbridge volts. I can feel a noticeable difference in the temperature of the NB heatsink, but it is nowhere near too high. I raised AGP voltage by pencilling the appropriate resistor. I also pencil-modded the CPU, it works fine. I used a mechanical pencil .5mm wide to fit into the tiny pins. Remember to have your AGP voltage set to high before you pencil the resistor so you don't go way overvoltage by pencilling it in at low settings to 2.0V, then settting the AGP volts to High in bios.

Again, as others have said before, you measure AGP volts from the top leg of the MOSFET between the PCIE and AGP slots.

Very very nice overclock. I doubt you could get much better with an overclocking board like the Abit IP35-Pro. :thumbsup:

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Tryed diff drivers, all of the pci slots, and even softmodded drivers (Audigy to X-fi)
but it just wont go away.

I just removed my audigy, getting sick of this noise.

BTW i just clocked my E6600 to FSB 280
Its running fine, dint go any higher yet.
and DRAM:FSB its still at 1:1

everest Memory read benchmark increased from 52xx to 7314 :)

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

For people who care about the lifespan of their mobo's:- When increasing Vagp (northbridge volts) to 2.0v it is advisable to also fit a 40mm fan onto the northbridge heatsink, and to fix a small heatsink onto the Vagp MOSFET !

;)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: jimmor

For people who care about the lifespan of their mobo's:- When increasing Vagp (northbridge volts) to 2.0v it is advisable to also fit a 40mm fan onto the northbridge heatsink, and to fix a small heatsink onto the Vagp MOSFET !

;)

I believe CPUIDs new Hardware Monitor is measuring the northbridge temp, listing it as TMPIN1. That temperature certainly fluctuates like it would be the northbridge temp, increasing slightly at load.

opus20745

Jan 14, 2008
Hi, I've owned the SATA2 since around mid-June, but have only recently run into any problems with it. I finally moved from an 80GB (was getting CRAMPED) EIDE drive to a Western Digital 500GB SATA2 drive (WDS5000AAKS) over this past weekend. The drive was cloned using DriveImage XML as to avoid re-installing Windows XP completely since I just did it in June. The system seems to run just fine on the new drive, but I've noticed a couple odd things so far:

1) running HWINFO32 (version 1.77) on my system reports NO SATA drives connected. The only entry under the SATA/IDE section is my NEC DVD Burner (IDE). This seems quite odd.

2) when trying to run the Western Digital Diagnostics program, as soon as it attempts to perform a "Quick Test" on the drive, the test fails with "Cable error". I've tried reseating the SATA cable, but nothing's changed.

3) Everything I've tested the drive with shows it as having a 5400 RPM speed. However, it is (supposedly anyhow) a 7200 RPM drive.

Now, if I use the WD Diagnostics boot CD and run it from the DOS version, it seems able to read the drive just fine.

I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with the 8237S Via SATA2 controller on this board, as far as compatibility with things like HWINFO32? Sisoft Sandra appears to see everything okay. As I stated, it does appear to work fine, but the HWINFO32 test in particular bothers me somewhat.

I plan on maybe picking up a Silicon Image based SATAII card later today or tomorrow (the PNY SATAII PCI-express one that Best Buy sells) to see if, when connected to it, the tests show the same odd results. That leads me to my last question actually, the PCI-E slot on the board is referred to as "PCI-E Graphics" in all the documentation. I've heard of cases where the PCI-E slot is somehow hardwired to really only work with graphics cards... is that the case with this board, or would the SATAII PCI-E controller work okay in that slot? If it won't, I believe they do have a PCI model as well, and from what I understand the difference in speed between SATAII and SATA is negligible at best anyhow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/replies. The SATA2 board has been great for the 50 bucks I paid for it :)

FYI, I'm running with the 1.70 official BIOS, with the latest chipset 4 in 1 pack (5.60A) from VIAARENA and a Quad Core 2600 slightly underclocked (the 5%~ that AsRock mentions you'd lose), satisfied with the performance enough that I'm not interested in trying to gain the clock speed back really.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: cpmee

;)

I believe CPUIDs new Hardware Monitor is measuring the northbridge temp, listing it as TMPIN1. That temperature certainly fluctuates like it would be the northbridge temp, increasing slightly at load.

On my E4400/4coredual-sata2 setup, the CPUID hardware monitor's TMPIN1 is certainly not northbridge temp !

If I had to make a guess, TMPIN1 is more likely CPU (heatspreader diode) temp. With TMPIN0 being motherboard temp ?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: opus20745
Hi, I've owned the SATA2 since around mid-June, but have only recently run into any problems with it. I finally moved from an 80GB (was getting CRAMPED) EIDE drive to a Western Digital 500GB SATA2 drive (WDS5000AAKS) over this past weekend. The drive was cloned using DriveImage XML as to avoid re-installing Windows XP completely since I just did it in June. The system seems to run just fine on the new drive, but I've noticed a couple odd things so far:

1) running HWINFO32 (version 1.77) on my system reports NO SATA drives connected. The only entry under the SATA/IDE section is my NEC DVD Burner (IDE). This seems quite odd.

2) when trying to run the Western Digital Diagnostics program, as soon as it attempts to perform a "Quick Test" on the drive, the test fails with "Cable error". I've tried reseating the SATA cable, but nothing's changed.

3) Everything I've tested the drive with shows it as having a 5400 RPM speed. However, it is (supposedly anyhow) a 7200 RPM drive.

Now, if I use the WD Diagnostics boot CD and run it from the DOS version, it seems able to read the drive just fine.

I'm just wondering if there are any known issues with the 8237S Via SATA2 controller on this board, as far as compatibility with things like HWINFO32? Sisoft Sandra appears to see everything okay. As I stated, it does appear to work fine, but the HWINFO32 test in particular bothers me somewhat.

I plan on maybe picking up a Silicon Image based SATAII card later today or tomorrow (the PNY SATAII PCI-express one that Best Buy sells) to see if, when connected to it, the tests show the same odd results. That leads me to my last question actually, the PCI-E slot on the board is referred to as "PCI-E Graphics" in all the documentation. I've heard of cases where the PCI-E slot is somehow hardwired to really only work with graphics cards... is that the case with this board, or would the SATAII PCI-E controller work okay in that slot? If it won't, I believe they do have a PCI model as well, and from what I understand the difference in speed between SATAII and SATA is negligible at best anyhow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/replies. The SATA2 board has been great for the 50 bucks I paid for it :)

FYI, I'm running with the 1.70 official BIOS, with the latest chipset 4 in 1 pack (5.60A) from VIAARENA and a Quad Core 2600 slightly underclocked (the 5%~ that AsRock mentions you'd lose), satisfied with the performance enough that I'm not interested in trying to gain the clock speed back really.

What kind of scores are you getting in the HD Tach 3 benchmark ?

and from what I understand the difference in speed between SATAII and SATA is negligible at best anyhow.

Yep. The speed of any hard drive is determined by its internal speed. SATA1 (150mbps) and SATA2 (300mbps) are the interface speeds. I dont know of any single hard drive yet that exceeds the 150mbps speed even in burst mode. So for now, SATA2 is mostly a marketing gimmick. It may be useful years down the road, but youll probably have a different board by then, using a different speed gimmick. :laugh:

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

;)

On my E4400/4coredual-sata2 setup, the CPUID hardware monitor's TMPIN1 is certainly not northbridge temp !

If I had to make a guess, TMPIN1 is more likely CPU (heatspreader diode) temp. With TMPIN0 being motherboard temp ?

Yeah, TMPIN0 is definately the motherboard temp. TMPIN0 doesnt change but 1-2C max at orthos load.

On my system, with the agp voltage set to auto in bios, TMPIN1 is 30C at idle and 40C at orthos load while at the same time core temps are at 54C. That would make TMPIN1 too low to be the heatspreader diode temp.

If youve upped your agp voltage, that may explain why TMPIN1 on your system looks like it could be the heatspreader diode temp. If thats the case, then it makes a bigger case that it is in fact the northbridge temp ?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007

;)

Yeah, TMPIN0 is definately the motherboard temp. TMPIN0 doesnt change but 1-2C max at orthos load.

On my system, with the agp voltage set to auto in bios, TMPIN1 is 30C at idle and 40C at orthos load while at the same time core temps are at 54C. That would make TMPIN1 too low to be the heatspreader diode temp.

If youve upped your agp voltage, that may explain why TMPIN1 on your system looks like it could be the heatspreader diode temp. If thats the case, then it makes a bigger case that it is in fact the northbridge temp ?

After further checks, I now believe TMPIN1 to DEFINITELY be CPU heatspreader temp, and NOT northbridge temp !

There is a 40mm fan fitted to my northbridge's heatsink, which when stopped allows the northbridge heatsink temp to rise appreciably ---> TMPIN1 value is not affected. However if I load the processor with Orthos, both core temps increase as does TMPIN1.

Depending on initial ambient/operating temps and cpu heatsink efficiency, Heatspreader temp can "typically" be between 5-15C lower than Core temps; and it changes at a much slower rate than for Core !

So I will say again, TMPIN1 appears to be CPU (heatspreader diode) temp !

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

;)

After further checks, I now believe TMPIN1 to DEFINITELY be CPU heatspreader temp, and NOT northbridge temp !

There is a 40mm fan fitted to my northbridge's heatsink, which when stopped allows the northbridge heatsink temp to rise appreciably ---> TMPIN1 value is not affected. However if I load the processor with Orthos, both core temps increase as does TMPIN1.

Depending on initial ambient/operating temps and cpu heatsink efficiency, Heatspreader temp can "typically" be between 5-15C lower than Core temps; and it changes at a much slower rate than for Core !

So I will say again, TMPIN1 appears to be CPU (heatspreader diode) temp !

I think I agree. I changed agp voltage in bios from auto to high, and got only a 1C increase in TMPIN1. 40C is very low for the heatspreader temp under full load, which is somewhat comparable to the thermistor on the back of the cpu on older mobos (or when I ran my own thermistor thru the heatsink). They ran much hotter under full load. This is definately a cool running cpu.

opus20745

Jan 14, 2008
What kind of scores are you getting in the HD Tach 3 benchmark ?

and from what I understand the difference in speed between SATAII and SATA is negligible at best anyhow.

Yep. The speed of any hard drive is determined by its internal speed. SATA1 (150mbps) and SATA2 (300mbps) are the interface speeds. I dont know of any single hard drive yet that exceeds the 150mbps speed even in burst mode. So for now, SATA2 is mostly a marketing gimmick. It may be useful years down the road, but youll probably have a different board by then, using a different speed gimmick. :laugh:

Well, I seemed to have solved some of the issues by uninstalling the Via SATA drivers that come with the Hyperion 4 in 1 set. Running just the default Microsoft VIA SATA driver seems to allow the Western Digital Diagnostics to complete properly. Likewise, HD-Tach is now reporting the full description of the drive in the drop-down select list. Before, with the VIA driver, it was just reporting "500GB" with no other info.

Likewise, turning off the Auto Acoustic Management brought my seek times up to the 13ms range that the drive is supposed to be instead of the 19ms it was reporting before. The rotational speed is still being listed as 5400 RPM though, which is sort of odd.

Just for info, my HD Tach scores are now 141MB/s Average Burst, 61MB/s Average Read, and 13.1ms seek time. Before, with the VIA Hyperion SATA driver they were 122MB/s, 66MB/s and 19.3ms respectively.

I would really appreciate it if someone else could load up HWINFO32 and let me know if the SATA drive is properly shown in that program. Even now, using the default MS drivers, it still isn't able to see the drive at all. Very strange.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Just for info, my HD Tach scores are now 141MB/s Average Burst, 61MB/s Average Read, and 13.1ms seek time. Before, with the VIA Hyperion SATA driver they were 122MB/s, 66MB/s and 19.3ms respectively.

Those are correct and normal speeds for your 7200rpm drive. I would say HWINFO32 just has a glitch reading the drive, not unusual.

Edit: I just ran HWINFO32 and it didnt pick up two of my drives (ide drives using the serielle IDE to SATA adapters) either. So I would say HWINFO32 is pretty useless for SATA drives.

pgeorgeo

Jan 15, 2008
Hi guys I'm new to anandtech, but i've been following this thread for quite sometime now.

I have been super frustrated because of how we cannot control the cpu voltage through bios, I was wondering if anyone had any safe means of increasing the voltage without doing any sort of physical modding.

I bought this board to get the most life out of my 6800GT AGP and OCZ 2x1GB PC3200 (and my IDE's) haha I know really old school, I'm waiting to pick up a new system around spring time.

Until then I bought a E2160 about a month ago and I have gotten it up 2.3-2.4 but anything with the fsb higher than ~260 won't work.

If not the voltage, are there any other recommendations on how to get the most power out of this guy?

All answers much appreciated.

SurraaPurraa

Jan 15, 2008
Hi there and welcome to anandtech (including me) :D

You have same processor and same motherboard as i do, and i DID have same problems as you are having right now.
FIX is simple: raise your PCIE FREQUENZY to 107-110 and u dont need adjust voltages, and you can overclock it more.

Just keep in mind, these boards DOEST LOCK PCI ABOVE 266FSB!! Thats why some people cannot overclock it near 300FSB.
I've overclocked to 282FSB and checked with sisoft sandra for busses, PCI BUS HAS RAISED TO 35-36Mhz.

But remember, when u overclock that mobo, always check PCI BUS for safe frequency, keep it below 36-37 and you have stable overclock settings :)

I have emailed asrock about this pci-lock and havent got replay, yet.....

pgeorgeo

Jan 15, 2008
Thanks! That is some good information.

What if I lock the agp/pci at 66/33 ?

I don't even use pci-e though, does it matter if that is locked at 100? And how do I raise the PCIe freq?

brokencase

Oct 7, 2007
Originally posted by: opus20745
I would really appreciate it if someone else could load up HWINFO32 and let me know if the SATA drive is properly shown in that program. Even now, using the default MS drivers, it still isn't able to see the drive at all. Very strange.

I am running the latest VIA driver along with a Western Digital SATA drive and I don't see any problem with HWINFO32 information about the drive.

It shows everything, model, cache size etc... Am i missing something here?