Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
I still havent encountered a freez,
Looks like its my sound card is causing this.
that would be the last thing i would think about :|

Kinda sux cause i also use my comp for producing my own music.
But hey my comp is working propely so far,
and no annoying crackling sounds.

Later Im going to try to plug in my Audigy 2 again,
without frontbay etc, and see what i will get.

For now im enjoying a freezles machine :)

Thanx for reply's ;)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DaleyG
I still havent encountered a freez,
Looks like its my sound card is causing this.
that would be the last thing i would think about :|

Kinda sux cause i also use my comp for producing my own music.
But hey my comp is working propely so far,
and no annoying crackling sounds.

Later Im going to try to plug in my Audigy 2 again,
without frontbay etc, and see what i will get.

For now im enjoying a freezles machine :)

Thanx for reply's ;)

Another thought, when you put the Audigy 2 in, make sure you disable the onboard sound, the onboard gameport and the onboard midi.

They are in 3 separate places in the bios.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
i only disabled onboard sound before,
dint mention these settings.

i'll try that too, thanx :)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Yeah, it only just came to me too. This board spreads out the sound card functions in three separate areas, any one of which could conflict with the Audigy adresses. :laugh:

Requena

Jan 3, 2008
Hi,
I resolve this issue, I set in the BIOS the parameter V-Link = FAST
and all work correctly.
No more sound problem, Thanks for the sugestions.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
The new CPUID Hardware Monitor has some interesting temps, not explictly listed.

FANIN0 = Chasis Fan Speed
FANIN1 = Cpu Fan Speed

TMPIN0 = System Temp
TMPIN1 = Northbridge Temp ????? The reason I believe this may be the Northbridge Temp is because it does go up about 10C under load whereas the System Temp goes up maybe 2C.

Any thoughts ?

Edit : I also notice that Speedfan 4.33 picks up this temp as Temp2.

JWalker55

Jan 8, 2008
I just recently rebuilt my system with this board and am having some lockup issues in XP.

My system is:
Asrock 4CoreDual-Sata2 Bios: 1.60
Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale
1 GB (2x512 MB) PC3200
eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256 MB PCIe (Forceware 169.21)
Creative SB Audigy 1 w/front bay (onboard audio is disabled)
160 GB Seagate IDE
80 GB Hitachi IDE
40 GB Western Digital Sata
Samsung 16x DVD burner
Cyberhome 16X DVD burner
Enermax 460 Watt PSU

So far lockups seem random. It's only happened twice so far, but I know it will happen again in the future if I don't figure out the cause. The first lockup was in the middle of a game (NASCAR 2003). The 2nd was after I brought BeyondTV out of fullscreen mode back into windowed mode, then hit Live TV. In both instances I heard strange static/popping for a few seconds, then the system completely froze. One thing that concerns me is that I have noticed that the 12v rail is down in the 11.4 range, and occasionally dips down to 11.3, according to speedfan. BIOS shows 12.076v

Aside from those issues, performance seems pretty good. I have run this board in Vista, but didn't run it long enough to see any issues. I may just end up getting a different board along with memory.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: JWalker55
I just recently rebuilt my system with this board and am having some lockup issues in XP.

My system is:
Asrock 4CoreDual-Sata2 Bios: 1.60
Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale
1 GB (2x512 MB) PC3200
eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256 MB PCIe (Forceware 169.21)
Creative SB Audigy 1 w/front bay (onboard audio is disabled)
160 GB Seagate IDE
80 GB Hitachi IDE
40 GB Western Digital Sata
Samsung 16x DVD burner
Cyberhome 16X DVD burner
Enermax 460 Watt PSU

So far lockups seem random. It's only happened twice so far, but I know it will happen again in the future if I don't figure out the cause. The first lockup was in the middle of a game (NASCAR 2003). The 2nd was after I brought BeyondTV out of fullscreen mode back into windowed mode, then hit Live TV. In both instances I heard strange static/popping for a few seconds, then the system completely froze. One thing that concerns me is that I have noticed that the 12v rail is down in the 11.4 range, and occasionally dips down to 11.3, according to speedfan. BIOS shows 12.076v

Aside from those issues, performance seems pretty good. I have run this board in Vista, but didn't run it long enough to see any issues. I may just end up getting a different board along with memory.

Random lockups can point to memory. Have you run memtest86+ for at least a few hours ?

Yes, Speedfan voltage readings are off from bios readings and from meter readings. CPUIDs new Hardware monitor reports voltages that are close to meter readings.

Did you also disable the onboard midi and onboard gameport ?

Kasolai

Jan 9, 2008
Hi folks, I just got my 4coredual-sata2 from newegg along with a Q6600 G0 and 2gig of crucial balistics ddr2-667 ram. crucial lists the ram as compatible with this motherboard, but as far as I know it runs at 2.2volts. Will the HIGH setting for ram voltage supply this much?

thanks for any advice

fritzfield

Mar 4, 2003
I've been running my e6600 CPU on this mobo @ 300FSB w/ no probs for months. Any higher and OCCT crashes. I changed my DDR333 to DDRII-800 and I'm using 3-3-3-9 1T timings without increasing voltage. Still no probs. Should I increase RAM voltage to HIGH? Is it safe? (Not the Lord Larry O. line to Dustin H. from Marathon Man question, mind you!).

My OC has remained stable for months at 300FSB. I know I could do better w/ another board, but I'm not ready for the AGP to PCIe jump or the loss of a secondary IDE line. Oh, BTW, what's up w/ the IDE cables that have THREE end user connections (monoprice.com)instead of only the regular TWO? That might be a way to temper the loss of an IDE channel on a new board, Nay?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Kasolai
Hi folks, I just got my 4coredual-sata2 from newegg along with a Q6600 G0 and 2gig of crucial balistics ddr2-667 ram. crucial lists the ram as compatible with this motherboard, but as far as I know it runs at 2.2volts. Will the HIGH setting for ram voltage supply this much?

thanks for any advice

No I dont think so. High I believe is 2.0 volts. Get some low voltage ram like the Adata 2gig ddr2-800 1.8volt kit for $27 after rebate. You cant go wrong. I have a 1gig stick of it working fine at ddr-667. Now that I have tested it and I know, I'll get another stick.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: fritzfield
I've been running my e6600 CPU on this mobo @ 300FSB w/ no probs for months. Any higher and OCCT crashes. I changed my DDR333 to DDRII-800 and I'm using 3-3-3-9 1T timings without increasing voltage. Still no probs. Should I increase RAM voltage to HIGH? Is it safe? (Not the Lord Larry O. line to Dustin H. from Marathon Man question, mind you!).

My OC has remained stable for months at 300FSB. I know I could do better w/ another board, but I'm not ready for the AGP to PCIe jump or the loss of a secondary IDE line. Oh, BTW, what's up w/ the IDE cables that have THREE end user connections (monoprice.com)instead of only the regular TWO? That might be a way to temper the loss of an IDE channel on a new board, Nay?

From what Ive read, high = 2.0 volts, normal = 1.9volts and low = 1.8volts. Not much of a chance of harming any ddr2 ram.

Since there is only master and slave on an ide channel, the extra connector is only for placement convenience.

Kasolai

Jan 9, 2008
I assembled the system today with these parts:

4coredual-sata2
Q6600 G0 with included heatsink
2x 1gig ballistics ddr2-667 ram 2.2volt
sapphire ATI x1950Pro 512mb AGP
Ageia Physics PCI card
PC Power & Cooling 470watt PSU (530watt max for temporary load)
2x WD PATA 320gig hard disks
LiteOn dvd-dl burner
WinXP Pro (SP2 + all updates)
Drivers are all newest I could download except the ATI, I'm using the omega driver based on 7.10 since 7.12 has a shader bug that messes up SecondLife that I play a lot.

The board came with 1.50 bios, so I updated to 1.80 with no problems.
I left the cpu speed to auto but manually set the PCIE to 100mhz, and the AGP/PCI to 66/33.
I turned off spread spectrum and PCIE pipeline. IDE drive strength is normal and DDR/AGP voltage is normal. Flexible mode is turned off.

If I set the DDR2 ram to 667mhz mode (requires 2.2volts), the board black screens and won't boot. At 533mhz setting it works fine. I assume this is a power shortage problem, since at 533 that ram seems ok with 1.8/1.9 volts. CPU-Z 1.43 is showing the bus speed as 256mhz and and cpu speed as 2304mhz. I guess this is the 5% speed loss that asrock lists on the website when using a core2quad on this board. I'm ok with it, its still a massive improvement over my previous athlonXP 3000+ socketA! Later when I update to PCIE graphics and get a matching board I'll worry about perfect speed and overclocking. I just want the Q6600 cpu to run cool and stable now, and its doing that.

NerzalXFS

Dec 1, 2007
Anyone happen to own a Soundblaster X-Fi and have it on this board?
I have issues where this board appears to give my x-fi clipping issues/crackling/popping sounds when I get too much sound on Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142/CoD4(shooting the lmg at the chopper)
I had no issues with this card on my other board.. and I was wondering if anyone came across a way to resolve this.

ronniearnold

Feb 18, 2003
I just installed my 4coreDUAL-SATAII last night. It seems to be working good except my USB mouse is lagging and dragging somewhat. Also, I have the multiprocessor HAL installed (I checked DM) but I don't have a listing in device manager for Processors and task manager only shows that I have 1 core. Hyperthreading is enabled in the BIOS. Any ideas?

I'm about to go home after the gym and try quite a few things. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I'm gonna try the new Hyperion drivers first, then I'll try to toggle Hyperthreading in the BIOS. Any ideas on the mouse lagging problems is appreciated too.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: NerzalXFS
Anyone happen to own a Soundblaster X-Fi and have it on this board?
I have issues where this board appears to give my x-fi clipping issues/crackling/popping sounds when I get too much sound on Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142/CoD4(shooting the lmg at the chopper)
I had no issues with this card on my other board.. and I was wondering if anyone came across a way to resolve this.

Try turning down hardware acceleration a notch in windows control panel and see what happens.

Ryuganteng

Jan 11, 2008
hello, i'm newbie here...
i own 4coredual sata2, and i have pciexpress vga. but, why my pciexpress run only on 4x instead x16 ?
thanks for help.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Ryuganteng
hello, i'm newbie here...
i own 4coredual sata2, and i have pciexpress vga. but, why my pciexpress run only on 4x instead x16 ?
thanks for help.
Hi
This board support only pciexpress 4x
Don't worry about this. This only reduces little performance for high end VGA cards.
see the linke below(775Dual-VSTA is similar to our mobo)
http://www.ocworkbench.com/200...ck/775Dual-VSTA/b6.htm
What is you pciexpress card?

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Yep, the difference is only 46.82fps versus 47.06fps on a 7900gt at 1600 x 1200 resolution.
At lower resolutions or with a slower card, the difference is even less.

Just to clarify, the board and slot do accept 16X pcie cards.

Actually the difference in that review may be even less. The Asrock board is clocked at 266 while the Asus board overclocks the setting to over 267. That would account for a large part of that difference. So in summary, there may be no difference at all. :Q

Ryuganteng

Jan 11, 2008
i'm using x800gto right now and run just fine.
but before i'm using x800, i bought x600 256mb and made my comp can't boot up, and later, i test my x600 on my friends mobo. it runs fine... is there anyway that i can run my x600 on my 4core dual sataII?

thanks