Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
I just bought a new pair sticks of ddr,
still gotta try these tests?

Voltages look much better then before,
+12 @ around 12.0xx / 12.125
dint mention the others yet, but ill think its good.

PS, i just played Live For speed (online racing simulator) for a few hours,
and this works just fine,
but when i go for the latest high demanding games,
it will freez or reboot, after some time,
some times at startup of the game.

CPU TEmp looks cool, running @ stock 30/40 idle not much higher on load
GPU idle @ 40 stress 50/55

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Microsystem
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: Tantalum
Hmm, just installed the latest version. Idle temperatures are now reported as 55/55 instead of 30/30. Speedfan and MBM5 also read 30/30, so I wonder what's up. Tjunction changed from 85C to 100C in CoreTemp. I have a hard time believing my cpu is running that hot, since I feel absolutely no heat and any of the heatpipes on my cooler. I can also game and surf without a hiccup, so I don't know if the new version is really trustworthy.

Currently at 2992MHZ at stock volts. BSEL modded and AGP volt modded to 1.9V with pencil.

Yeah, same here. It looks like there will be another version of core temp coming soon to fix this version. On the otherhand, the Tjunction Max temp is supposed to be 100C for the M0 stepping, so that he did fix.

Try the CPUID HWmonitor program, link above. It looks more accurate and concise for temps, fan speeds and voltages than any other program Ive tried. :thumbsup:
There is better softwares:
1-RMClock
http://cpu.rightmark.org/
2-NxSensor
http://cbid.amdclub.ru/

with RMclock you cand adjust VCore and multiplayer too.

Thanks for the links.

I still have to give the WIN to CPUID HWmonitor.

The NxSensor program does not show both core temps. And the old timie pixie tube readout display is hard to read.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DaleyG
I just bought a new pair sticks of ddr,
still gotta try these tests?

Voltages look much better then before,
+12 @ around 12.0xx / 12.125
dint mention the others yet, but ill think its good.

PS, i just played Live For speed (online racing simulator) for a few hours,
and this works just fine,
but when i go for the latest high demanding games,
it will freez or reboot, after some time,
some times at startup of the game.

CPU TEmp looks cool, running @ stock 30/40 idle not much higher on load
GPU idle @ 40 stress 50/55

With new sticks, its especially important to do memtest86+ for at least a few hours. That way youll know before the time for refund is over. :D

Have you tried newer and older versions of the video driver ?? I would also run ATItool scan for artifacts for a couple of hours to test the video card. It works for both ATI and Nvidia cards.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Hi,
it looks like i got it to work right now,
i just played nfs pro street, and also PES 2008! , wouldnt even start before.

I was lookin in my device manager, everything was fine.
but VIA CPU To AGP, drivers werent installed i think.
Using 4.1 driver dint work,
i manually had to install them (updated drivers from device manager)
Now it displays it selfs as VIA CPU to AGP 2.0/AGP3.0 Controller,
Before it was VIA CPU to AGP, those are windows ones?

Anyway, im gonna try and game for longer,
so far its looking good ;)

Question about ram,
Should i keep it in this 1:1 ratio mode?
or put ram in faster mode, 333 mhz ?
i did notice around 1000MB performance win @ everest memory readspeed bnchmark

but there is less bandwith, right now 8178 MB/s @ 333DDR2 around 10000/11000

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Hi,
it looks like i got it to work right now,
i just played nfs pro street, and also PES 2008! , wouldnt even start before.

I was lookin in my device manager, everything was fine.
but VIA CPU To AGP, drivers werent installed i think.
Using 4.1 driver dint work,
i manually had to install them (updated drivers from device manager)
Now it displays it selfs as VIA CPU to AGP 2.0/AGP3.0 Controller,
Before it was VIA CPU to AGP, those are windows ones?

Anyway, im gonna try and game for longer,
so far its looking good ;)

Question about ram,
Should i keep it in this 1:1 ratio mode?
or put ram in faster mode, 333 mhz ?
i did notice around 1000MB performance win @ everest memory readspeed bnchmark

but there is less bandwith, right now 8178 MB/s @ 333DDR2 around 10000/11000

After running the memtest86+ for a few hours, go with fastest speed you can by benchmarking with SiSoft Sandra memory benchmark. Most people find 1:1 ddr533 is the fastest for them, but in my case 4:5 ddr667 was faster. But thats just my system.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Allright now i can confirm this solved my problem,
its smoother then ever :)

Im gonna play around with it this night,
to see whats the best for me :)
i think im going for 667,
as my cpu runs @ 2.30 right now,
im about to test some cpu overclocking,
to see how far i can go.

Im happy for now, silly that driver caused this.

[Too anyone having reboots/freezing try installing the via AGP manually, it dint install using the via 4in1 setup for me]

Edit,

One more thing,
Ive got this problem a for a long time,
on my older pc too, but never found a real solution.
I get these annoying Crack&pop sounds with my audigy 2 platinum,
I just noticed when i unplug my 2 ide drives,
and just use 1 sata it much better.

Just tryed chaning latency, 32->64 no dif.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Allright now i can confirm this solved my problem,
its smoother then ever :)

Im gonna play around with it this night,
to see whats the best for me :)
i think im going for 667,
as my cpu runs @ 2.30 right now,
im about to test some cpu overclocking,
to see how far i can go.

Im happy for now, silly that driver caused this.

[Too anyone having reboots/freezing try installing the via AGP manually, it dint install using the via 4in1 setup for me]

Sounds like some bad Asrock install cd's are out there. Mine worked fine, but I downloaded and installed the latest ones from the web right off the bat. Along with the latest Realtek sound drivers.

That Corsair 550watt psu (instead of that Cooler Master 380watt) is going to help you lot in getting a stable overclock. :thumbsup:

Edit,

One more thing,
Ive got this problem a for a long time,
on my older pc too, but never found a real solution.
I get these annoying Crack&pop sounds with my audigy 2 platinum,
I just noticed when i unplug my 2 ide drives,
and just use 1 sata it much better.

Just tryed chaning latency, 32->64 no dif.

Yeah, that Creatives suggested cure. You could also try the Audigy in different pci slots.

Requena

Jan 3, 2008
Hi,

I Have the following issue:

I have the ASROCK 4CoreDual-SATA2 mother board with Core 2 Duo 6420 2.13
Sapphire X1950Pro AGP aperture size 256
Sound Blaster X-FI Fatal1ty Pro PCI
I use first with DDR 400 RAM and haven't any type of problems
now I mount in the mother board a Kingstong KVR667D2N5/1G DDRII 667 Dual chanel RAM and I get noise, Crackle/Pop sound.
If I connect a USB key the noise disappears if I disconnect the noise back
I have connected in the USB port a Logithech G7 mouse too.

Can I set same parameters in the BIOS to resolve this?
How I can set in the BIOS the RAM parameters for this type of RAM?

Any help is appreciated.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Looks like i celibrated too early,
I get these freezes again.

Tryed:

Unplugging unnecessary hardware, (DVD+RW, 2 hard drivers, case fans)

diff Ram, DDR400 & DDR2 667, @ 333 MHZ & 226 MHZ

CPU, stock, overclock, and underclocks (temps stable)

Vid card tests, all stable no artifacts,
latest forceware tested, & 169.21 Omega tested,
I've tested older drivers before with my other psu,
that dint fix it, so i dont think it will now either.

I think this is hella strange, Advice needed badly.

Will a bios upgrade work? (running out of the box version 1.50)
Or Vista mayb? (Nhaa?)

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Requena
Hi,

I Have the following issue:

I have the ASROCK 4CoreDual-SATA2 mother board with Core 2 Duo 6420 2.13
Sapphire X1950Pro AGP aperture size 256
Sound Blaster X-FI Fatal1ty Pro PCI
I use first with DDR 400 RAM and haven't any type of problems
now I mount in the mother board a Kingstong KVR667D2N5/1G DDRII 667 Dual chanel RAM and I get noise, Crackle/Pop sound.
If I connect a USB key the noise disappears if I disconnect the noise back
I have connected in the USB port a Logithech G7 mouse too.

Can I set same parameters in the BIOS to resolve this?
How I can set in the BIOS the RAM parameters for this type of RAM?

Any help is appreciated.

Odd that ddr versus ddr2 made a difference, but the sound blaster crackling is quite common with all mobos and chipsets.

Try different pci slots, and raise pci latency to 48 or 64 in bios to see if there is a difference.
This is basically the answer Creative will give. You could also experiment with the spread spectrum settings.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Looks like i celibrated too early,
I get these freezes again.

Tryed:

Unplugging unnecessary hardware, (DVD+RW, 2 hard drivers, case fans)

diff Ram, DDR400 & DDR2 667, @ 333 MHZ & 226 MHZ

CPU, stock, overclock, and underclocks (temps stable)

Vid card tests, all stable no artifacts,
latest forceware tested, & 169.21 Omega tested,
I've tested older drivers before with my other psu,
that dint fix it, so i dont think it will now either.

I think this is hella strange, Advice needed badly.

Will a bios upgrade work? (running out of the box version 1.50)
Or Vista mayb? (Nhaa?)

One thing for sure, Vista wont solve your problems, just make many more. :laugh:

Ive been using the official bios 1.80 for over a week problem free. So you could try it, it wont hurt.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
I decided to remove my Audigy 2 platinum,
and use onboard sound.

So far no freezes, with 1.5 hours of pes 2008 gameplay.

Gonna experiment some more to see if my audigy is causing these problems,
Looks good so far tho, and no more crackling sound.

Il post results later.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Wahay new Bios will update now :)

Vista is fine for me, unless i try and Install the AGP driver. It bluescreemns :s

So, havent got that installed, and im using a X1950 PRO AGP 512MB..

If anyone knows a solution this would be great :)

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: xfezz
Quick question. Whats the max RPM on Intels Stock cooler when it runs at 100%? I disabled Smart fan in the bios and it says the fan is running at 1700rpm.

I also have disabled the fan stuff in bios and Speedfan shows my stock intel cooler fan running at between 2000 and 2100 rpm.

And its very quiet.:thumbsup:

hmm I wonder why mines only running at 1700rpm. I would like mine to run at 100% if possible.

Each fan is different and 300rpm isnt that much of a difference. Almost all fans run a little faster if they are hooked up directly to a molex connector. There are adapters available to connect that fan to a molex and still have the separate yellow rpm wire go to the mobo.

On another topic to all:
A new version of Core Temp has been released. Version 0.96 12/31/2007
available at : http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Edit : It looks like the temps are too high in this new 0.96 version. :shocked:

Another new program available Hardware monitoring on the 4CoreDual-Sata2 is CPUID HWmonitor. It looks to be pretty accurate.
Available here : http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I was looking into the fan to molex connector with the rpm sensor wire but my cpu fan is a four pin fan. not a 3 pin. I dont think these adapters would work with a stock intel fan with 4 pins?

country2

May 1, 2001
Help!!!
just installed this mobo and attempted to install xp after formatting the HD. WAS going smoothly until when XP went to reboot on the first series of reboots during xp installation. Well it wouldn't boot back up and get this ...cannot get into bios as there is NO option to enter the bios setup (f2) I have a option for the boot menue (f11) but clicking on it does nothing . It just sits there saying that it accessing the boot menue and thats it. Also if I don't select anything it just hangs on the boot splash screen where it shows the hard drives, cdrom and what nots. I've tried resetting the bios with no luck. Going to dl and try flashing the bios and see if it helps....Any ideas? Think the bios id fubar and mobo is junk? thanks!!

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Quick question. Whats the max RPM on Intels Stock cooler when it runs at 100%? I disabled Smart fan in the bios and it says the fan is running at 1700rpm.

I also have disabled the fan stuff in bios and Speedfan shows my stock intel cooler fan running at between 2000 and 2100 rpm.

And its very quiet.:thumbsup:

hmm I wonder why mines only running at 1700rpm. I would like mine to run at 100% if possible.

Each fan is different and 300rpm isnt that much of a difference. Almost all fans run a little faster if they are hooked up directly to a molex connector. There are adapters available to connect that fan to a molex and still have the separate yellow rpm wire go to the mobo.

On another topic to all:
A new version of Core Temp has been released. Version 0.96 12/31/2007
available at : http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Edit : It looks like the temps are too high in this new 0.96 version. :shocked:

Another new program available Hardware monitoring on the 4CoreDual-Sata2 is CPUID HWmonitor. It looks to be pretty accurate.
Available here : http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I was looking into the fan to molex connector with the rpm sensor wire but my cpu fan is a four pin fan. not a 3 pin. I dont think these adapters would work with a stock intel fan with 4 pins?

Hmm, I did a quick search and didnt find any either, but I know theres some out there.

If you look at page 19 of the Quick Installation Guide manual that came with the 4CoreDual-SATA2, youll see the diagram for the fan connectors, both 4pin cpu and regular 3pin.
I would get the 3pin adapter and just notch the plastic end of the adapter connector so it fits. The only thing you would loose is the ability to control fan speed, which you dont want anyway, because you want the fan to go full speed.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: country2
Help!!!
just installed this mobo and attempted to install xp after formatting the HD. WAS going smoothly until when XP went to reboot on the first series of reboots during xp installation. Well it wouldn't boot back up and get this ...cannot get into bios as there is NO option to enter the bios setup (f2) I have a option for the boot menue (f11) but clicking on it does nothing . It just sits there saying that it accessing the boot menue and thats it. Also if I don't select anything it just hangs on the boot splash screen where it shows the hard drives, cdrom and what nots. I've tried resetting the bios with no luck. Going to dl and try flashing the bios and see if it helps....Any ideas? Think the bios id fubar and mobo is junk? thanks!!

I certainly wouldnt try to update the bios while the system is flaky like yours is at the moment.

Recheck everything you installed. Test the system with the mobo outside of the case. Try a new fresh battery. I know its a new board, but who knows how long the battery was in storage or when it was made. Ive seen weak batteries come with new boards. Double check the location of the clear cmos jumper. Post all of your system components, including make a model of memory and power supply.

country2

May 1, 2001
I certainly wouldnt try to update the bios while the system is flaky like yours is at the moment.

Recheck everything you installed. Test the system with the mobo outside of the case. Try a new fresh battery. I know its a new board, but who knows how long the battery was in storage or when it was made. Ive seen weak batteries come with new boards. Double check the location of the clear cmos jumper. Post all of your system components, including make a model of memory and power supply.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Going to check cmos battery and going to remove everything from my asrock dual-vsta board to this one and see what happens. Thought about this last night and I remember during the first attempt of installing XP had a BSOD stop during it which usually is hardware related then the second attempt it gave the unable to load sysytem files (or similar message) on the reboot after windows copies setup files from cd to hd. I had problems with this hd before although seagate tests gives it a clean bill of health now... Thinking it could be flaky hd but don't see how it could screw up the bios unless its causing it to freeze but then again I'm getting no setup option for the bios (f2) which comes up prior to the boot menue (f11) option.

country2

May 1, 2001
progreess, turns out hd bad. Using a backup hd now and getting ready to install xp. Guess it was freezing it up. This ids the 3rd hd in 5 years that I've had to return back to seagate.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: country2
progreess, turns out hd bad. Using a backup hd now and getting ready to install xp. Guess it was freezing it up. This ids the 3rd hd in 5 years that I've had to return back to seagate.

Yeah, I just recently got back my 120gb drive from Seagate that did a hard head crash. They sent me back a 160gb one, which was nice. Ive rma'd plenty to Western Digital and Maxtor too.
I find that a fan under each of the drives makes them last significantly longer.

Superleeds27

Dec 22, 2007
Well, ive had enough of this board.

Upgrading to the Gigabyte P31-DS3L...

Hope ill be able to get better overclocks and Gfx support :)

country2

May 1, 2001
Well got everything installed and my son is playing COD4 with it using the x1650 pro from the buy.com deal with no problem. He's happy so now the wife is happy which makes me happy :)