Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

littleprince

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Mr Vain
Originally posted by: littleprince
The board booted my e8400 while I used the RAID controller to get some data off some drives.
It of course didn't boot naturally to 3.0Ghz as it couldn't do 1333 FSB, but booted none the less no problems.

Thx for the info, it gives us all with this motherboard more options.:)

No problem, I learned about the board here, so happy to contribute back. I got it to mainly rescue my raid array when my old board died. The board will be my GF's this weekend.

It was very cool, I tried DDR2, DDR1, my old AGP vid card, and a PCI-E 8600GTS with the e8400 no problem.

With so many options, it makes it the perfect board for her to take my hand me downs for this round and next round of upgrades.

Mar 9, 2008
Weird. So I gave OCing another try today. I set FSB to 246 and ram to 4-4-4-12. Still not terribly stable (XP wouldnt crash, but certain apps/games would act funny). I changed timings one by one, i.e. 5-4-4-12, 5-5-4-12, etc. No difference. One game that is pretty reliable in telling me whether the system is stable or not is Bioshock. If I OC it too far, it'll crash almost immediately. If I dial it back down, it'll launch, but crash when I load a game. No need to run Orthos for hours on end, Bioshock will tell me if its working or not within seconds.

Then I changed DRAM Bank Interleave and disabled it out of curiosity. Again, FSB is at 246, ram is at 5-5-5-15 (and thats it, everything else is left on Auto). With Interleave disabled, Bioshock works no probs. Steam and DoD:S work with no problem. I ran Orthos for a little over 2 hours, and it reported no problems. Could it be Interleave thats the issue? Why would disabling it make my OC much more stable? I tried each setting, i.e. 2 way, 4-way and 8-way. With 2 and 4 way enabled, the OC is unstable. With 8-way, I cannot POST. But disabled it works fine. In fact I could post up to 266fsb, but Bioshock crashes on anything over 250 it seems. However my DoD:S benchmarks did go down. With it on auto, I would get 63fps on dod_kalt. But now I get 58fps or so.

Still not getting any closer to the 2.4ghz I'd like, but its a start. Since this seems to be a RAM issue, should I just get some OC friendly ram? My AData DDR2 800 is not OC friendly (and I knew that when I bought it). But I could always sell it and get some OCing ram that can take the higher FSB right? What do you guys suggest?

Also, if I do the BSEL mod, will that be stable? I mean if I cant get 2.3ghz stable, how will a BSEL'd 2.4ghz be any different? Would I have to mess around with RAM timings?

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: martianmisfit
what the most current compatible gfx card i can get to run on this board?

currently running an HIS HD 2600XT.
is it worth it to upgrade to a SAPPHIRE HD 3850 agp?

can i run a 4870 like someone mentioned earlier?
if so what's the best brand; SAPPHIRE?

any help is appreciated.
thanks,

- martianmisfit

If you play games it's definitely worth it, as the improvement over your current gfx card is huge. You can run 4870/4850/8800GT/9600GT. Just get a pci-e and not agp. If you get an agp card, you'll be shooting yourself on the foot with an 88mm KwK Pak43 Cannon :p Too much CoH OF :D

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
I just got my ddr2 ram. The speed boost in read was good compared to ocz ddr ram. Will try to tweak 1T CPC tonight see if I can gain more bandwidth. Ram is buffalo firestix.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4582/buffalooo1.jpg

Edit:
The boost was so little in benchmarking...quick test.
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1421/benchvt0.jpg

200mb/s boost with 1T still same read/write performance. The chipset really set things more agressively on auto. But it boots to windows without a problem.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5953/2ndrunyw0.jpg

Aquamark 2T
http://img246.imageshack.us/im...6190/aquamark2tve0.jpg
Aquamark 1T
http://img523.imageshack.us/im...5191/aquamark1tqq9.jpg
3fps boost with 1T compared to 2T

Regards,
Jon

Unbeliever

Aug 7, 2008
Looking for some help.

Just moved all my hardware from a dead DFI 875P-T to the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2. Everything went very smoothly actually but now that it's altogether I'm having one serious issue. I'm scoring just over 5k in 3DMark06. I've been reading the forums and have seen plenty of people scoring over 9k with my current video card. First let me give you the pc stats:

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2
Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0GHz LGA775 800FSB Prescott 1MB Cache
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 sticks)
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s
Thermaltake Silent PurePower Xaser III 560W PSU
and finally:
EVGA 512-P3-N807-AR GeForce 8800GT "AKIMBO Edition" 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Ok, my first guess might be my processor holding me back. When viewing the CPU tests in 3DMark06 they literally stall and chug displaying 0 fps while in progress. Other than that I'm really not sure. I haven't customized any settings for the EVGA other than choosing "High Performance" under Image Setting in the Nvidia control panel. Display resolution is set to 1680x1050 by the way, native rez for this display.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Joe

Oops, forgot BIOS Vers. 2.00 (the latest I do believe)

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Unbeliever
Looking for some help.

Just moved all my hardware from a dead DFI 875P-T to the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2. Everything went very smoothly actually but now that it's altogether I'm having one serious issue. I'm scoring just over 5k in 3DMark06. I've been reading the forums and have seen plenty of people scoring over 9k with my current video card. First let me give you the pc stats:

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2
Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0GHz LGA775 800FSB Prescott 1MB Cache
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 sticks)
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s
Thermaltake Silent PurePower Xaser III 560W PSU
and finally:
EVGA 512-P3-N807-AR GeForce 8800GT "AKIMBO Edition" 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Ok, my first guess might be my processor holding me back. When viewing the CPU tests in 3DMark06 they literally stall and chug displaying 0 fps while in progress. Other than that I'm really not sure. I haven't customized any settings for the EVGA other than choosing "High Performance" under Image Setting in the Nvidia control panel. Display resolution is set to 1680x1050 by the way, native rez for this display.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Joe

Oops, forgot BIOS Vers. 2.00 (the latest I do believe)

It's your cpu.

Unbeliever

Aug 7, 2008
Really, the CPU would make that much of a difference? Damn, well if you were to suggest a good alternative for that board what would you say. Obviously something not over the top but maybe something that would give me the most bang for the buck considering the board. Thanks for the reply also!

Mar 9, 2008
Well, I think 246fsb is the max I can go. I've been playing lots of DoD:S and Crysis (its playable, but at medium settings it doesnt look as good as it could, but damn is it fun). Temps are a little on the high side, but so far no crashes or weird glitches that I've noticed. But 2.2ghz is my limit it seems. I could get new Ram thats more OC friendly but theres no guarantee that'll work either. Plus I no longer need AGP and will be switching over to SATA soon. I could get a new CPU, but I dont know if it'd be worth it. I've pretty much decided on getting a new mobo, something thats OC friendly. The 4Coredual is a nice mobo, other than OCing its been rock solid and makes a great mobo as a stop gap upgrade. Also works wonderfully as a Hackintosh. But for OCing. Instead of throwing more money at this thing, I think its time to get just a new mobo. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Really, the CPU would make that much of a difference? Damn, well if you were to suggest a good alternative for that board what would you say. Obviously something not over the top but maybe something that would give me the most bang for the buck considering the board. Thanks for the reply also!

IMO E2220 gives the most bang for buck with this low FSB board.
The 12x Multiplier of the E2220 should get your CPU up there to 3000-3600MHz +- if you overclock or 2600MHz Standard.

martianmisfit

Oct 16, 2007
Originally posted by: JonW

If you play games it's definitely worth it, as the improvement over your current gfx card is huge. You can run 4870/4850/8800GT/9600GT. Just get a pci-e and not agp. If you get an agp card, you'll be shooting yourself on the foot with an 88mm KwK Pak43 Cannon :p Too much CoH OF :D

so i can run a 4870 pci-e on this board?
do you have a link where i can read more on it?

thanks

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
I'm looking for the latest Sata drivers for this board. I have version 6.0.6000.230 installed, dated 10/18/2007. I went to Via arena and it's confusing as all hell to me. Is it the V-Raid driver that I need? Are they they the same drivers for the SATA controller..i'm not running RAID.

http://www.viaarena.com/defaul...atID=1180&SubCatID=143

VIA V-RAID Driver, although I read you still install those even if you're not running RAID.

Tried to install them and it's the wrong driver.

I installed the Hyperion 4 in 1 driver back when I first got the board. The latest set doesn't seem to really have anything new.

Edit:

Actually I tried the VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver on that some page linked to above and that did the trick, updated the SATA drivers to 6.0.6000.252 dated 4/2008. Confusing site to me

ayumu

Dec 30, 2007
Rough hardware description: e2160@2.35 + geforce 7800gs/AGP + (200GB + 160GB+ liteon DVD burner)/IDE + 500GB/SATA2 + (emu10k1 + bt878 + rtl8169)/PCI

Recently, I've put 2x2GB DDR2@800 (kingston hyperx, CL5). BIOS is 2.02a. (Official 2.0 BIOS won't even boot). While it wastes part of the RAM (only a bit over 3GB accessable, depending on AGP aperture size, apparently), it works fine and stable on Linux, though on a 64bit CPU it shouldn't waste RAM anyways (way over 4GB should be able to be mapped directly).

On the other hand, Windows Vista 64 SP1 crashes soon after booting, sometimes with; in order to get it not to, I should start it in safe mode with CLI, and set some boot variable to sustract memory (I did it by leaving just 2GB).

Is anybody else experiencing this? Any tips? I sort of suspect nobody tried this while having a gfx card on AGP instead of PCI-e. I've begun to fear the 2x2GB DDR2@800 I got will never work properly. :(

sjsarnow

Aug 11, 2008
First off, hello all, this is my first time posting here.
I've searched everywhere for a solution to this, but all I find are people with the same problem, and what I can gather it's either the mobo or gpu, and I am at my wits end. First off, specs,

ASrock 4coredual sata2
E2160 oc'd at 2.35ghz
corsair pc2 5300 @ 1gb, x 2, dual channel mode
geForce 9600gt OC
bios 2.0

I set the pci-e to sync with cpu in the bios, with the factory settings on the gpu, I get massiver freeze ups and the famous BSOD nevermind oc'ing the gpu. When I under clock the gpu it works, and I can get it stable at about 550/950 which is underwhelming to say the least. If I set the pci-e to 100mhz in the bios, I can overclock the gpu to 800/953, but my performance in 3dmark is worse than with the underclocked pcie sync with cpu.

To show some 3dmark 06 scores, this is about the average best for me:

1280x1024
no aa
trilnear

3DMark Score 7903 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score 3422
HDR/SM3.0 Score 3763
CPU Score 1882

Any advice on how to remedy this problem, or if this is just the performance I'm stuck with. Sorry if there are any multiple posts, I meant to space the scores but had reply selected and pressed space bar a few times.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ayumu
Recently, I've put 2x2GB DDR2@800 (kingston hyperx, CL5). BIOS is 2.02a. (Official 2.0 BIOS won't even boot). While it wastes part of the RAM (only a bit over 3GB accessable, depending on AGP aperture size, apparently), it works fine and stable on Linux, though on a 64bit CPU it shouldn't waste RAM anyways (way over 4GB should be able to be mapped directly).
Not without chipset support, due to the Intel FSB. The PT880 chipset can only decode 4GB total over the FSB (limited by DRAM address pins). Try removing a few PCI cards.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: sjsarnow
First off, hello all, this is my first time posting here.
I've searched everywhere for a solution to this, but all I find are people with the same problem, and what I can gather it's either the mobo or gpu, and I am at my wits end. First off, specs,

ASrock 4coredual sata2
E2160 oc'd at 2.35ghz
corsair pc2 5300 @ 1gb, x 2, dual channel mode
geForce 9600gt OC
bios 2.0

I set the pci-e to sync with cpu in the bios, with the factory settings on the gpu, I get massiver freeze ups and the famous BSOD nevermind oc'ing the gpu. When I under clock the gpu it works, and I can get it stable at about 550/950 which is underwhelming to say the least. If I set the pci-e to 100mhz in the bios, I can overclock the gpu to 800/953, but my performance in 3dmark is worse than with the underclocked pcie sync with cpu.

To show some 3dmark 06 scores, this is about the average best for me:

1280x1024
no aa
trilnear

3DMark Score 7903 3DMarks

SM2.0 Score 3422
HDR/SM3.0 Score 3763
CPU Score 1882

Any advice on how to remedy this problem, or if this is just the performance I'm stuck with. Sorry if there are any multiple posts, I meant to space the scores but had reply selected and pressed space bar a few times.

That's normal since the mb only runs 4x speed on PCI-E. No matter what you do, you can't boost it's performance due to that chipset limititation. You have all the components for a mobo swap.

d0uble

Jun 26, 2008
Haven't checked this board in a while. Lots to read...

Anyway,

Been doing some reading on fsb:ram ratios and I thought I would share...

Read this ---> http://www.driverheaven.net/ov...-ratio-being-best.html

Seems like 1:1 is no longer the best ratio. In fact, having faster ram than the fsb of the cpu is what is preferred. (I think?)

As of right now I'm using a 1:1, but I'll try 5:4 (333/266). I'll run some tests and post the results sometime this week.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001

The 12x Multiplier of the E2220 should get your CPU up there to 3000-3600MHz +- if you overclock or 2600MHz Standard.

I tried running my e4600 which also has a 12x multiplier using several FSB settings >232MHz and Pime would run stable for many hours, but my games would lock up with sound loops, etc. after a while. So I backed the FSB down to 232MHz and now my games run fine with a final clock of 2.78 GHz.

I'll game with this PC for a while yet.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Budarow

I tried running my e4600 which also has a 12x multiplier using several FSB settings >232MHz and Pime would run stable for many hours, but my games would lock up with sound loops, etc. after a while. So I backed the FSB down to 232MHz and now my games run fine with a final clock of 2.78 GHz.

I'll game with this PC for a while yet.

Is your cpu BSEL Modded Bud?

vixensjlin

Mar 30, 2008
Does anybody know if this motherboard (4CoreDual, Not R2) support E7300 (not E7200)?
Which version of BIOS support it? Thanks a lot!

Nsaney

Aug 20, 2008
Hi guys

I have this board and am trying to decide which video card to upgrade to. Been reading around for awhile now (BTW: the overclocking advice in this thread helped me some time ago, thx :) ) and think I can go with an EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814130319 ). It has the G92 core which I think means I won't have to flash the cards bios? I am using Asrock's 2.0 bios.

I want to go with a card that I can use later when decide to upgrade this thing.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Do the 9600 GT's work with no flashing?

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Nsaney
Hi guys

I have this board and am trying to decide which video card to upgrade to. Been reading around for awhile now (BTW: the overclocking advice in this thread helped me some time ago, thx :) ) and think I can go with an EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814130319 ). It has the G92 core which I think means I won't have to flash the cards bios? I am using Asrock's 2.0 bios.

I want to go with a card that I can use later when decide to upgrade this thing.

Thanks in advance.

I have this board (but the VSTA, non-SATA version) and NO 8800GTs worked for me (1 512mber from PNY and 1 256mber from XFX); however, my PNY 9600GT worked right out of the box.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Nsaney
Hi guys

Thanks in advance.

Be careful in buying Nvidia products apparently many are faulty. :shocked:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/...ia-g92s-g94-reportedly