ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 boot issues

Sewermonger

May 21, 2011
My old MB died so I got the 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0, Intel 775 3.0GHZ core dual processor and a pair of 1 gig memory. I tried booting with the old OS - XP Pro SP3 32 bit. When the XP boot screen appears the boot process goes groundhog day and starts over. I'm running SATA drives. The processor and the video card (ATI X1950 Pro AGP 8x) are both supported but I flashed the BIOS to ver. 2.20 (the latest) in hopes it was a old BIOS issue. I have a PC PowerCooling 750 watt power supply so I don't believe it power related. The memory and CPU are new and recognized by the BIOS. I've tried default BIOS settings and I've played around with the memory timing but nothing fancy. Not overclocking or pushing the memory timing etc. Antec 1200 case. I'm posting from work and trusting my old fart memory on the video card type but I think I've listed everything.

I think I may have to install a 64 bit version of XP Pro, but I figured I'd check with some experts on the problem before dropping more money to solve the problem. I've found nothing on the ASRock site or a Google on the problem.

Any hints are gratefully accepted, except changing to SUSE or other brand of the penguin %^) since I know nothing about linux.

DaleyG

Dec 23, 2007
Hi man, I'm running on the same mobo and from what i've experienced this board behaves strange when using the wrong? setting(s) in the bios.
Other than that when its running its running good, with both PCI-E and or AGP.

; make sure you set the primary graphics adaptor to : AGP.
; DRAM Frequency set to 266Mhz, at 333Mhz the system becomes unstable.
; RAM voltage I got mine set to high

These were the most crucial settings for me to set, there may'be some more but I check on them.

Also your changed your mobo while remaining on the same system? (windows xp boot)
Maybe there's some conflict with your old mb drivers, the system still reads those i guess.
if thats the case reinstall Windows, Or run a Windows XP Repair.
this will revert it to default state without losing your settings, files.

Last edited:

Sewermonger

May 21, 2011
I'll try those all when I get home tonight. I'm thinking a reinstall should do the trick, but I like to double check with smarter folks than me before I do such.

Thanks

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Intel PBZ875 IIRC. I'll check when I get home.
Hardware is too different, you'll need to reinstall the OS.

There are some things you could have tried prior to changing the hardware, such as modifying some registry entries or deleting some devices from device manager, booting into Safe Mode the first time on the new hardware, that might have allowed Windows to successfully negotiate the hardware changes, but even then it is not guaranteed to prevent an OS reinstall when the hardware is this different.