asian dish name?

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
pork wrapped in sticky rice wrapped in a bay leaf

had it at this dim sum place in so cal, it was amazingly good :cool:

Any links on asian style cooking will be appreciated!

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
yeah i know that... had it plenty of times. don't know its english name though

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn
was the pork grounded up or in chunks?
i do not remember, hell i dont even know if it was pork, i'm just guessing. it was REALLY good though ;)

i'll take a st@b at it and say chunks

this was over a year ago i believe....

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
If it was triangular and a little smaller than your fist, it was probably a "zong zi".

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
i think you are talking about "lo mai kai" (sticky rice chicken, though it's really pork. why they named it chicken i dunno...)

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
i think you are talking about "lo mai kai" (sticky rice chicken, though it's really pork. why they named it chicken i dunno...)

Is that mandarin? :confused:

I suppose I could go ask someone who might know, but I don't really want to get up.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus

Is that mandarin? :confused:

I suppose I could go ask someone who might know, but I don't really want to get up.

cantonese. because it's a cantonese dish afaik.

mandarin would be nuo mi ji

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its pretty common and well atleast iknow what ur talking about. i have no idea what the english name would be. but at dim sum restaurants..its pretty standard. that description only describes that:) lo mai gai? my bad cantonese pronounciation:p

no, thats not it. close, but not it. lo mai gai is small, well sometimes big. but its square. the leaves are ussually wetter, greasier. theres beef, mushrooms, sausage, and other stuff inside and the rice is very flavourful. what u posted looks a lot like a differnet kind... not ussually sold as dim sum. i've had some before, no idea what the name is, but those contain beans and stuff wrapped in rice. taste...eh, its like oatmeal i guess. semi good for u but not really tasty.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
If it was triangular and a little smaller than your fist, it was probably a "zong zi".

i concur that it probably is a "zong zi"

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Yep that's what I was thinking too...

(on a side note, post #1000 woohoo! :beer:'s on me)

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Lo Mai Gai
Sticky rice and meats (often including Chinese sausage) wrapped in lotus leaves

possibly this

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
? well atleast the thing with the string around it. what its surrounded by i have no idea.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
i'm not sure what to call it in english either... so i just wound up calling them asian tamales.

but lo mai gai? it sounds more like "jung" (gosh my cantonese to english blows) that he had since he didn't mention the rice color or the chinese sausage

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: freesia39
i'm not sure what to call it in english either... so i just wound up calling them asian tamales.

but lo mai gai? it sounds more like "jung" (gosh my cantonese to english blows) that he had since he didn't mention the rice color or the chinese sausage

i think lo mai gai is more common as dim sum. and it doesn't have to have sausage.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ah joung... atleast thats how it sounds to me. thats the health food variety that tastes bleh. greenish yellow beans wrapped in rice... icky. heh. not normally served at dim sum. cuz it isn't:) its not what i would consider white friendly:p heh... food u feed to white people and they go iew!

its lo mai gai:)

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
ah joung... atleast thats how it sounds to me. thats the health food variety that tastes bleh. greenish yellow beans wrapped in rice... icky. heh. not normally served at dim sum. cuz it isn't:)

its lo mai gai:)

the "joung" (whatever it's called in cantonese) doesn't have a set filling. there are many varieties. some of the ones i've had were pretty unhealthy heh (big chunk of fatty pork with preserved duck egg yolk)

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea i know... but even those don't taste good. well not really:) they all contain that base joung taste.. maybe its the beans. i've just never heard lo mai gai described as a joung.