ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
ashcroft resignation letter dated Nov 2nd
flee a sinkin boat

oh wait, they won for once
flee a stinkin boat

Feb 10, 2000
ABC is reporting Commerce Secretary Don Evans has also resigned.

:beer::D:beer:

I would have a hard time imagining a worse choice for AG than John Ashcroft, so this can only be good news.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
To be perfectly honest, I feel much better about another 4 years of a Bush administration without Ashcroft. Many of you should to.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
To be perfectly honest, I feel much better about another 4 years of a Bush administration without Ashcroft. Many of you should to.

I'll reserve judegment until I see who will be his replacement

ABC is reporting Commerce Secretary Don Evans has also resigned.

that's odd. he's a huge Bush mouth piece

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
flee a sinkin boat

flee a stinkin boat

If Kerry was driving the boat, who could blame anyone for fleeing? ;)

I would bet that Ashcroft was requested to resign.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

I don't see it. If President Bush were going to ask anyone to resign, it would be Rumsfeld. He is loyal to a fault. Ashcroft has had serious health problems.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Agreed.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

I don't see it. If President Bush were going to ask anyone to resign, it would be Rumsfeld. He is loyal to a fault. Ashcroft has had serious health problems.
Ashcroft had a gall bladder removed earlier this year but it didn't seem a bad enough health problem to prevent him from serving another term. Eh, maybe we'll get more info in the days to come?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

i second that,
now pick up mcCain and ducktape powell down in the whitehouse

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
YAY! Mr. anti-Constitution and one of Bush's business fvckwads and all-around yes-man are gone!

Let's hope no one worse gets appointed in their wake of devastation.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
traditionally deptartment heads offer the president their resignation going into a second term so that the president can feel free to remove or move anyone the president feels necessary. However I think ashcrofts resignation is a real resignation. I didn't think that these got all that much attention if they weren't real resignations.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
one of my central reasons for voting for bush was Ashcroft... i hope that bush appoints another Pentecostal.
Ah, you're part of the problem then.

Go take your religious beliefs and shove them where the sun don't shine. The rest of us Americans don't give two sh*ts for your fairy in the sky and don't want our laws dictated by the likes of you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

:thumbsup:

Feb 10, 2000
one of my central reasons for voting for bush was Ashcroft... i hope that bush appoints another Pentecostal.

I don't care what the person's faith is, but I think it's an awful idea to have a religious fundamentalist of any stripe as an Attorney General. I have known Pentecosts who were nice folks, but IMO his religious faith was well into extremist-whacko territory (as exemplified by his sincere belief that dancing is wrong, because it incites impure thoughts), and this is a Bad Thing in our form of government.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
flee a sinkin boat

flee a stinkin boat

It is not really suprising that he left. Janet Reno is the only AG to serve two terms since John Q. Adams was President.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

Go take your religious beliefs and shove them where the sun don't shine. The rest of us Americans don't give two sh*ts for your fairy in the sky and don't want our laws dictated by the likes of you.

wow, you really are bitter that most people hold onto moral values.

what is it that you do that you feel so guilty about? What perversion do you delight in that causes you to hate those that don't delight in it?

extremist-whacko territory (as exemplified by his sincere belief that dancing is wrong, ... and this is a Bad Thing in our form of government.
if he's not trying to arrest anyone for dancing, then it's not actually a problem, is it?

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Ashcroft wasn't a true Pentecostal. If he was he would have forbid women to cut their hair or wear make up.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

wow, you really are bitter that most people hold onto moral values.

what is it that you do that you feel so guilty about? What perversion do you delight in that causes you to hate those that don't delight in it?
I did a mortgage for a Pentecostal minister once several years ago. He made $120k/yr. completely tax-free. I would've thought it a nice racket for him but he was still buried in debt with a big house and a couple of brand-new Caddies. In other words, his piety (or lack of) did not impress me.

Regardless, the purpose of the AG is to enforce the law. The highest law of the land guarantees freedom of and from religion. If an individual cannot see past his personal religious devotion, then perhaps he is not the right person to enforce the law, don't you think?

Feb 10, 2000

I don't agree with conjur's post, but, to answer your question myself, I want nothing more or less than the freedoms imparted by the Constitution, and AG Ashcroft has worked hard to abridge them (particularly the First and Fourth Amendments). He has also threatened and browbeaten anyone (including members of the federal judiciary) who doesn't buy off on his way of doing business. As far as I'm concerned he is probably the most harmful member of the Cabinet we've seen during my lifetime, and I'm damned glad to see him ride off into the sunset.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rickn
Ashcroft wasn't a true Pentecostal. If he was he would have forbid women to cut their hair or wear make up.
wow, not a "true" Pentecostal because he what?

oh, I?m sorry, your but-cheeks are muffling the sound of your voice.

Originally posted by: DonVito

I don't agree with conjur's post, but, to answer your question myself, I want nothing more or less than the freedoms imparted by the Constitution, and AG Ashcroft has worked hard to abridge them (particularly the First and Fourth Amendments). He has also threatened and browbeaten anyone (including members of the federal judiciary) who doesn't buy off on his way of doing business. As far as I'm concerned he is probably the most harmful member of the Cabinet we've seen during my lifetime, and I'm damned glad to see him ride off into the sunset.

that's a fair critisism.

The highest law of the land guarantees freedom of and from religion.
it guarantees freedom OF religion, which includes freedom to serve in government without regard to religious conviction.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Good to hear. Bad news coming likely though.

Sep 12, 2004

Actually, conjur, that's not quite true. Maybe you need to reconcile yourself with the fact that most Americans believe in God and that most profess to be a Christian in some form. As an Agnostic, I don't care much for religion either but I realize others do and it's their right to believe that way so I deal with it. Maybe you should learn to deal with it too because people such as you and I are in a distinct minority.