Ashampoo - burning problem

eager to learn

May 24, 2017
Hi there,

When I insert a DVD-R (Memrorex, new out of the box) burned with AShampoo (version 6 Free) on a laptop running Windows 7 (32-bit) into the DVD player connected to an analog, TV the screen displays an error message to check the disc for scratches or fingerprints. There are none but I clean the DVD anyway, insert it again, same results.

I then try the same with a different DVD player connected to a different analog TV – same results.

I then burned a Phillips blank DVD with Ashampoo and followed the same process (as above) – same results.

I then try the same with a different DVD player connected to a different analog TV – same results.

I can insert commercial DVDs into these DVD players and they play with no problems.

I can insert other DVDs I've burned with Ashampoo of these Memorex DVDs into both DVD players and they play with no problems.

I'm at a loss at what’s going on having now wasted 6 blank DVDs.

These DVDs I burned play fine on my laptop and desktop (Windows 7 |32-bit) with built-in DVD players when I play them in VLC Media Player.

Can you please offer your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks so much.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
If you were to burn some other video content as a test right now, would it play?

Like, could it be possible something specific about the video you're burning is at fault? Is it personal footage? Or something more commercial?

eager to learn

May 24, 2017
I used Burning Studio Free 6.

Is ashampoo_burning-studio_2016_21653.exe the free latest version?

There are lots of trial versions on their site.

Using Burning Studio Free 6 it burned a dvd watchable on a laptop and desktop DVD player but not a DVD player attached to a TV.

Thanks.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
A lot of dvd players can only handle certain file types, like MPEG-4 .. Also some dvd players can only use certain types of media like DVD-R or in some cases DVD+R ... With your dvd make and model we can look up what it can support. Also watch your burn speed (slower is best, I prefer no more than 8X) and be sure you Finalize the DVD when burning it. You can also look for more info on this forum: https://club.myce.com/

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
It burns other media. It's a YouTube .webm file.

Are you burning it to the disc as a .webm file? Or had you converted it to something the DVD player can read?

DVD players aren't all going to be able to play just any video file you throw at it.

eager to learn

May 24, 2017
A lot of dvd players can only handle certain file types, like MPEG-4 .. Also some dvd players can only use certain types of media like DVD-R or in some cases DVD+R ... With your dvd make and model we can look up what it can support. Also watch your burn speed (slower is best, I prefer no more than 8X) and be sure you Finalize the DVD when burning it. You can also look for more info on this forum: https://club.myce.com/

Hi bruceb,

Yes, my DVD players work best with DVD-R. That's what I have used when ripping/burning lots of DVDs and played will in them. I burned at 4X - maybe I can adjust that - somehow? can you please share where I can adjust that to 8x?

I've never had a problem burning until I tried ripping/burning a .webm file.

Thanks so much for sharing that other forum.

Very kind of you.

Best.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Your burner program should have all the speeds in it. 4X is good.

Muilisx

Feb 4, 2019
First of all, you cant just burn a mp4, avi, mkv file to a dvd and expect it to play on a dvd player. It doesn't work like that. DVDs have a specific format to play like a regular DVD you buy from a store or rent from redbox. This format is .VOB files.

The easiest way is to download a program called DVD Flick which will take your .mp4 and .avi files and convert them to .vob. Then when you go into your burning software you will choose to burn DVD files and select the video_TS folder that was created by DVD Flick. Once it burns you can then put the DVD into a regular DVd player and it will load and play like a normal DVD.

The only way you can just stick a.mpeg or .mp4 on a DVD and play it on a DVD player is if the DVD player supports that format which is a data format. However, using DVD Flick doesn't take long and then you'll have a DVD that will play on any DVD player that is hooked up to a TV. You would also be able to use your PS3/PS4/XBOX as well to play the DVD.

DVD Flick comes in handy is you recorded a video with your phone or camera such as a wedding or something and you want to be able to mail loved ones a copy of the video on DVD so they can pop it in their DVD player and watch it without any complications.