ASCII check mark?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I was wondering, does anyone know the ASCII code for a check mark? What about the alt+number code? I need to put check marks in a document, and would rather not hand write them. Thanks in advance.

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
This one: √

is character 221A in Unicode. You should have an application called charmap.exe under Windows that helps you find these.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: oog
This one: ?ã is character 221A in Unicode. You should have an application called charmap.exe under Windows that helps you find these.

That's the square root symbol. 221A is square root.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Originally posted by: oog
This one: ?ã is character 221A in Unicode. You should have an application called charmap.exe under Windows that helps you find these.

Weird.. your quote shows up differently than what his message actually showed in the forum. Maybe your browser can't handle unicode?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
Originally posted by: KraziKid
Originally posted by: oog This one: ?ã is character 221A in Unicode. You should have an application called charmap.exe under Windows that helps you find these.
Weird.. your quote shows up differently than what his message actually showed in the forum. Maybe your browser can't handle unicode?

Nah, I'm using the WYSIWYG editor. It butchers Unicode. But as I said 221A is the Unicode for the square root (I saw that before posting). The question still remains, does anyone know the Unicode or Alt+Number combination for a check mark?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
Hm, I guess it is the square root thing. Try 2713, 2714, 10102, and 237b

None of those worked. If I must, I will use the square root, but I would have assumed that there was a check mark in the character map.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
Regardless of this unicode discussion, there is no ASCII check mark.

Okay, that's what I was looking for. Hopefully the square root symbol looks enough like a check mark.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I assume you're not using word, or other wysiwyg word processor? You'd just use windings in that case.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
I assume you're not using word, or other wysiwyg word processor? You'd just use windings in that case.

I am using word. Which winding character is the check mark?

retiredinpeace

May 22, 2016
I need to put checkmarks in text files in powerpoint, and I use alt251 to get this: √

Hope this works for you, too!