artifact problems?

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ok, so I have my computer running all nice and pretty, no crashes in 8 hours of Orthos, Memtest86+ passes, ATiTool passes, but I still get artifacts while playing Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. (Way better than the original, BTW)

Not exactly sure what one looks like, but when your screen breaks up into a million little red pieces and the music hangs, I'm not sure what else it could be.

My cooling for this beast (underclocked to stock, mind you) is an accelero S1 with 80mm Intel fan strapped on. This isn't a problem, ATiTool records my temps as 38C at idle and 50C at load. When I alt-tab while gaming, it shows no greater than 50C. But I get artifacts anyway. Do you think it is the memory? Some of my RAMsinks fell off.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Even naked memory should be fine for stock speeds as long as there's some airflow.

Sounds like you just got a bum card mang. Perhaps start the RMA process?

Before doing anything hasty, you might also want to check the Supreme Commander forums and see if others are reporting a similar problem - there's always a chance it's a bug in the rendering code. STALKER still has a couple, even after 5 patches.

I assume your drivers are up to date?

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Newest 169.something nvidia drivers, no other problems except people complaining about slow performance against the AI... Nope. Man, I got the last one too. I'll keep using it, it doesn't crash until after an hour or two. Maybe I can sucker my dad out of some RAMsinks.

Oh, and it's a BFG... Does their warranty cover third-party coolers?

EDIT: Apparently not. **** you for not letting me use parts that actually prolong the life of your product. I love how you claim to be the gamer's choice but don't allow OCing. /rant.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
I doubt sinks on the memory will change things. I don't think heat is the problem. Your case ventilation is good, yes?

Feel free to give it a shot though. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484

BFG Tech Graphics Card Lifetime Warranty

"BFG Technologies is proud to warrant the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage. This warranty is valid if the product:

>> Was not damaged while being installed.

>> Was not damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.

>> Was operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.

>> Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies.

>> Third party products, such as motherboards and other system components using this Product are not be covered by this warranty.

BFG Technologies' liability under this warranty, or in connection with any other claim relating to the Product, is limited to the repair or at BFG Technologies option, the replacement of the portion of the Product which was defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to any software component.

You assume the risk of loss in transit and the returned Products shall be the sole property of BFG Technologies. BFG Technologies warrants the repaired or replaced Products will be free from defects in material or workmanship.

EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED ABOVE, BFG Technologies MAKES NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WHETHER OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, OR OTHERWISE ON THE PRODUCTS, OR ANY PARTS OR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR OTHER LABOR FURNISHED.

BFG Technologies reserves the right to inspect and verify the defectiveness of any product returned. Please allow 48 hrs processing time once item has been received by BFG, and 3-5 days for shipping of the replacement product (shipped ground)."

He has modified his card by using an after-market heatsink and BFG's warranty does not cover this, basically he can't RMA the card.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
I doubt it would be ethical to simply stick the stock heatsink back on... Well crap, maybe I can get a D9E card next year instead of a Penryn. It still works FINE, just... Red after a while. Man, why couldn't I get blue artifacts at least? :p

I hate you too, Best Buy. I feel compelled to say that. My, I'm uncharitable today.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: QuiksilverX1

He has modified his card by using an after-market heatsink and BFG's warranty does not cover this, basically he can't RMA the card.

Uh yeah...believe he already stated that. I hadn't bothered checking out BFGs warranty in detail, and still wouldn't have. s'his footwork to do.

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: QuiksilverX1
Originally posted by: ja1484

BFG Tech Graphics Card Lifetime Warranty

"BFG Technologies is proud to warrant the original purchaser of the graphics card included in this package ("Product") that the Product will be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the product, when given normal wear and proper usage. This warranty is valid if the product:

>> Was not damaged while being installed.

>> Was not damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.

>> Was operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.

>> Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies.

>> Third party products, such as motherboards and other system components using this Product are not be covered by this warranty.

BFG Technologies' liability under this warranty, or in connection with any other claim relating to the Product, is limited to the repair or at BFG Technologies option, the replacement of the portion of the Product which was defective in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to any software component.

You assume the risk of loss in transit and the returned Products shall be the sole property of BFG Technologies. BFG Technologies warrants the repaired or replaced Products will be free from defects in material or workmanship.

EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED ABOVE, BFG Technologies MAKES NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WHETHER OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, OR OTHERWISE ON THE PRODUCTS, OR ANY PARTS OR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR OTHER LABOR FURNISHED.

BFG Technologies reserves the right to inspect and verify the defectiveness of any product returned. Please allow 48 hrs processing time once item has been received by BFG, and 3-5 days for shipping of the replacement product (shipped ground)."

Thanks for that. I haven't purchased a BFG in the past, but I was looking at one possibly. But I plan on putting on an after-market cooler so.... I'll just cross this one off my list. Back to EVGA i guess.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
EVGA & XFX are the only two manufactures that I know for sure will take a card back if you replace the stock heatsink. I'd have to read the warranty on gigabyte, msi, and asus cards.

juggalomike

Sep 13, 2007
my card also broke today, i used watercooling, but what do you think the odds are they notice i used an aftermarket coolant? i reinstalled the fan and it looks just fromt he factory

Saiyukimot

Sep 4, 2007
Just try putting some ramsinks on.

Or, better still, replace the stock heatsink and try SC again.

Worth a try :)

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Hmm... Problem went away, except now it's randomly rendering shields in the ocean and mass spots for tank tracks... Do you guys think my comp is telling me something?

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
red square freeze = ram

the gpu you could run stock and keep the fan at 25 and it would never freeze in supreme commander, same with the phase circuitry. the guys at xtremesystems are able to get 800-900 on the core with the stock fan from the standard 600mhz. the ram usually only goes 30-50mhz higher than stock if any at all. seems like the ram speed is wayyyy closer to its thermal threshold than the g92-gt cores. i bet that core could hit 95C before it locks up and artifacts on you. If you said you have the bfgoc Underclocked to stock (600mhz), up your fan speed and try it at 700mhz & your shader from 1500 to 1700mhz , just lower the clock of your ram from 1800 down to like say 1740 (870). I bet you wotn get freezes, and you will get better performance.

Or if you dont want to OC, just underclock the ram a little but id leave the core and shader at 625/1566 (bfg stock)

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: jaredpace
i bet that core could hit 95C before k)

Pftt. Before I got a vf900 on mine, it peaked at 108C once in HL2 Ep2.

I don't care what people say about the thermal tolerances of this die, that scares me. Ordered the Zalman minutes later.

To it's credit though, the card never had one stability issue then, certainly not now with the new cooling.

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
fwiw: my xfx 8800gt would freeze w/ red-black triangle artifacts when the RAM was o/c to 1000mhz and i played bioshock for 1+ hours. increasing the fan speed w/ rivatuner to 55% and lowering the memory o/c to 951mhz has solved the problem!

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
well im freezing in hl2 ep2 as well on my bfg 8800gt OC. i think the core may be too high, or i need to up the fan a little. anyone know what program can overlay gpu temp in hl2 so i can see how hot the card is while im playing?

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

You can leave RivaTuner running in the background with the HW monitor open and it'll detail whatever you have it set to show.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte
I doubt it would be ethical to simply stick the stock heatsink back on... Well crap, maybe I can get a D9E card next year instead of a Penryn. It still works FINE, just... Red after a while. Man, why couldn't I get blue artifacts at least? :p

I hate you too, Best Buy. I feel compelled to say that. My, I'm uncharitable today.

It would be perfectly ethical to do so... you did not damage it by using an after market cooler, you decreased the chance of it breaking due to the chip running too hot to begin with!

You were actively spending money and effort to prevent them from having to replace your card, and they PENALIZE you for it? Go ahead and put the stock cooler back on and send it for RMA.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Actually... I think the problem was that I had naked memory with no fan. I stuck a bigger fan on there and the problem went away.

Man, I'm stupid. Don't post late at night, kiddies.